Innova Recordings is the independent record label of the non-profit American Composers Forum, based in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It was founded in 1982 as a way to document the winners of the McKnight Fellowship offered by its parent organization, the Minnesota (now (American) Composers Forum. During the course of these early years it produced several sampler LPs featuring the works of a range of Minnesota composers, many of whom have since gone on to national prominence. These include Eric Stokes, Ann Millikan, Libby Larsen, Paul Schoenfield, and Stephen Paulus. With the advent of the compact disc, Innova began releasing selected highlights from the top ensembles — such as the Dale Warland Singers, Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and the Alexander String Quartet — that had been on the Composers Forum concert seasons.
In 1994, Innova opened its doors to artists with a finished master tape wanting access to its established distribution network. Under this scheme, called the Recording Assistance Program, Innova expanded its catalog considerably. The label now produces between 25 and 40 CDs and DVDs per year. There are currently over 460 titles in the catalog, ranging from new classical to, experimental, electronic such as MC Maguire. , jazz, world, and no-genres. It is best known for its series of releases featuring Harry Partch and Henry Brant, as well as its activities introducing less established artists and composers to the larger music scene. For its services to artists, the label was awarded an endowment by the McKnight Foundation to subsidize its ongoing activities.
- Laurel Leaf Award from the American Composers Alliance, 2012
- ASCAP Deems Taylor Award, 1998, for "Enclosure Three: Harry Partch"
- Grammy Nominations: David Frost (2003), Stuart Hyatt (2005), Orlando Jacinto Garcia (2010)
- Stereophile: 80 Must-Have Recordings (2007), for "Delusion of the Fury, Harry Partch"
- Major project grants from the New York State Music Fund, and the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Million dollar endowment by the McKnight Foundation