Innsbruck Medical University
|Innsbruck Medical University|
|Endowment||147 Mio. Euro|
The Innsbruck Medical University (in German: Medizinische Universität Innsbruck) is a university in Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria. It used to be one of the four historical faculties of the Leopold-Franzens-Universität Innsbruck but became an independent university in 2004.
The medical tradition dates back long before the foundation of the university, with the foundation of the first hospital in the nearby silver-mining city of Schwaz in 1307. Due to the population increase over the centuries, an academic education for the medical personnel became crucial. Therefore, a medical faculty was included in the initial university, established in 1669 by emperor Leopold I, making it the first of its kind in the Alpine region.
In the 1850s Habsburgs gradually closed University of Olomouc as a consequence of the Olomouc students' and professors' participation on the 1848 revolutions and the Czech National Revival. The ceremonial equipment of the University of Olomouc was then transferred to the University of Innsbruck. The original Olomouc ceremonial maces from the 1580s are now used as maces of the University of Innsbruck, its faculties and of Innsbruck Medical University. The Medical University uses the ceremonial mace of Olomouc Faculty of Philosophy from 1588 and Olomouc Rector's Chain made sometime between 1566-1573.
The ceremonial mace currently used by the Innsbruck Medical University was given by Olomouc bishop Stanislav Pavlovský to the University of Olomouc in ca. 1588. It is 163 centimeters high, it is made of silver and has gold plating. It bears inscription S. P. E. O. (Stanislaus Pawlowski Episcopus Olomucii) and other ornaments.
Nobel Prize laureates
- Fritz Pregl, 1923 (chemistry - for his contributions to quantitative organic microanalysis)
- Adolf Windhaus, 1928 (chemistry - for his work on sterols and their relation to vitamins)
- Hans Fischer, 1930 (chemistry - for the synthesis of haemin)
- Innsbruck Medical University
- University of Innsbruck
- Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Tirol
- Study in Austria: A Guide
- Fiala, Jiří (12 July 1998). "Původní žezlo rektora olomoucké univerzity [Original mace of Olomouc University's Rector]". Žurnál Univerzity Palackého (in Czech) (Olomouc: Palacký University of Olomouc) 7 (28). Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- Reiner, Joos. Bemerkungen zur Datierung der Innsbrucker Universitätszepter (in German). Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Innsbruck. Retrieved 30 December 2012.