Insomniac Events is an American tour promoter focusing primarily on electronic music events. It organizes a number of major dance music festivals, including its flagship Electric Daisy Carnival, along with other events such as Beyond Wonderland, Nocturnal Wonderland, and also jointly organized the Together as One festival with rival promoter Go Ventures prior to 2011. Insomniac also organizes the EDMBiz conference (an industry event first held in 2012 to coincide with EDC in Las Vegas, in a similar fashion to the Winter Music Conference and the Ultra Music Festival), and is involved of the operation of two Los Angeles nightclubs—Create (in partnership with SBE, built on the site of the former Vanguard Hollywood) and Exchange L.A.
By contrast to other promoters, Insomniac and its founder Pasquale Rotella places a larger emphasis on fan experiences during its events, as opposed to focusing on profits and ticket sales; Rotella has contended that such events do not require "big acts who sell out arenas", going as far as to praise the annual Burning Man festival for being an event with "no talent" at all.
In June 2013, Insomniac announced a number of partnerships; including one with Dick Clark Productions to produce a dance music awards show in 2014, and a major "creative partnership" with Live Nation that would allow Insomniac to take advantage of Live Nation's resources, while still retaining autonomy and creative control over its events. While specifics of the deal were not revealed, Rotella emphasized that the deal was not an acquisition. Sources had reported in May 2013 that Live Nation would be acquiring a roughly 50% stake in Insomniac.
In May 2014, Insomniac announced the formation of Insomniac Records, an EDM record label created in partnership with Interscope Geffen A&M. The label will aim to attract both "undiscovered" and "established" producers; Arty was announced as the first artist to be signed to the label.
- "Insomniac and SBE announce new Hollywood EDM club Create". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Insomniac works to keep Exchange L.A. up all weekend". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Electric Daisy Chain: Insomniac and Dick Clark Prod. Plan 2014 EDM Awards". Spin. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Electric Daisy Founder Pasquale Rotella: 'We Don't Want to Book' Superstar DJs Anymore". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Live Nation Teams With Insomniac Events in ‘Creative Partnership'". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Live Nation to Purchase 50% Stake in Insomniac Events (Report)". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Pasquale Rotella's Insomniac & Interscope Geffen A&M Launch New Imprint (Exclusive)". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
|This article about a music organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on electronic music is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|