|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (December 2013)|
The Adventures of Superman
Action Comics #442
|Full name||William Henderson|
|Supporting character of||Superman
Inspector Henderson first appeared in the 1940s radio series The Adventures of Superman, in which he was Superman's police contact. Mainly used as a sounding board in that capacity, the only detail about Henderson's personal life that was revealed was that he had a son named Ray. Inspector Henderson was voiced by Matt Crowley and later by Earl George.
It took a while longer for Inspector Henderson to be introduced in the comics, however; his first appearance there was in Action Comics #442 in December 1974, once again as Superman's main police contact. He also appeared in issues of the first Black Lightning series.
In New Adventures of Superboy #6 (June 1980), a younger version of the character was introduced. Detective-Sergeant Henderson visited Smallville in an attempt to convince Superboy to relocate to Metropolis, where the rate and volume of crime was much higher. Henderson was unsuccessful, although the Boy of Steel would relocate to Metropolis upon reaching adulthood and becoming Superman.
Since John Byrne's 1986 Man of Steel miniseries, Inspector Henderson's role has been reduced somewhat, in favor of newer characters Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer. Currently, Henderson is Metropolis' police commissioner.
Supergirl (vol. 5) #37 (March 2009) introduces Inspector Mike Henderson, an African-American detective who heads the Metropolis Metacrimes Division, one of two units replacing Sawyer and Turpin's Special Crimes Unit (the other being the Science Police).
In other media
- Inspector Henderson was subsequently introduced in a similar role in the 1950s Adventures of Superman TV series, portrayed by Robert Shayne. He is a member of the Metropolis Police and is a friend of the Daily Planet staff where he often works in conjunction with them on crime investigations. Inspector Henderson has a teenage son named Ray who appears in one episode.
- Inspector Henderson appeared in the Superman episode "Night of the Living Shadows."
- Inspector Henderson appeared in the 1990s live-action television series Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. In most of his appearances he was played by Richard Belzer, however the role was played by Mel Winkler and Brent Jennings, prior to Belzer's assumption of the role. A recurring character during Lois and Clark's first season, Inspector Henderson did not appear in subsequent seasons.
- Henderson appeared briefly in the Superman: The Animated Series episode "Feeding Time".
- "Lightning Bolts," Black Lightning #3 (July 1977).