Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées|
|Motto||L'air, l'espace, l'IPSA|
Motto in English
|The air, the space, the IPSA|
|Type||aerospace engineering postgraduate school|
|140 (in 2010)|
|Students||850 (in 2010)|
|Location||Ivry-sur-Seine, Toulouse, France
48° 48′ 49″ N 2° 23′ 33″ E
|Affiliations||3AF, CDEFI, Erasmus, ISSAT|
The Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées (IPSA) is a French private postgraduate school in aerospace engineering located at Ivry-sur-Seine and Toulouse, recognized by the French state since 2010, whose diploma has been accredited by the French Commission des Titres d'Ingénieur since 2011. It was founded in 1961 and is part of IONIS Education Group since 1998.
- 1 History
- 2 Governance
- 3 Training and research
- 4 Notable Alumni
- 5 Bibliography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
From creation to integration into IONIS Education group
|This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2012)|
IPSA was founded in 1961 in Paris by Michel Cazin, the private secretary of Louis de Broglie and a teacher at the mechanical department of CNAM, Maurice Pradier and Paul Lefort.[not in citation given] Twenty students started the training. In 1982, the first scholar trip was organized to the European Space Agency center in Guyana. In 1987 the school was bought by Henri Hertert, an airline pilot at Air France and an IPSA alumnus. In 1989 the institute moved into the towers Les Mercuriales at Bagnolet, where it stayed for ten years. Beset by financial difficulties, the university was bought by IONIS Education Group in 1998 and moved to Le Kremlin-Bicetre close to the university EPITA[relevant? ].
Gradual recognition of the university
The Master issued by IPSA was recognized by the French state at level 1 (higher level) in 2005, after accreditation by the Commission Nationale de la Certification Professionnelle.[not in citation given] In 2007, IPSA opened a second campus in Toulouse, joined the Erasmus Programme and concluded double degree agreements with foreign universities. Following its establishment in Toulouse, the university joined the Institut au service du spatial, de ses applications et technologies in 2008. The next year, IPSA joined Aerospace Valley and moved to Ivry-sur-Seine close to the university ESME-Sudria before being accredited by the French state in 2010.
During the evaluation process, the Commission noticed the strong points of the university (the kaizen, the motivation of teachers and students, the good job placement, ...) and the weak points (research activities to be developed, English level of the students to improve, the need to have more courses in social sciences, equipments on many campuses, ...). The CTI also asks for a new recruitment process which has been done rapidly by the creation of a competitive examination called Concours Advance. In January 2013, IPSA joined the Conference of the Directors of French Engineering Schools. The CTI agreement is extended in May 2013.
History of directors
The current director is Hervé Renaudeau, who was director of ESTACA university from 2007 to 2009. He is the seventh person to hold that function since 1961. He was appointed director of IPSA in September 2009.
|Michel Cazin||1961 to 1987|
|Maurice Pradier||1961 to 1987|
|Paul Lefort||1961 to 1987|
|Henri Herter (IPSA 1976)||1987 to 1998|
|Guy Robin||1998 to 1999|
|Aimé Merran||1999 to 2009|
|Hervé Renaudeau||since 2009|
Training and research
IPSA aims to be close[weasel words] to other postgraduate engineering schools with a strong theoretical training for research and development jobs in order to graduate engineers specializing in aerospace engineering with a good general aerospace knowledge. It offers a five-year course with five possibilities in the fourth year: "energy, spacecraft propulsion and engine", "mechanics and aircraft structure", "telecommunications, radar and radio navigation", "embedded systems", or "mechatronics". The students also choose one of ten minors: "Entrepreneurship", "business marketing", "association management", "Research Management", "Conduct of an international project", "project personnel development", "Board and consulting", " human resource management", "cultural management", "financial management".
In the fifth year, four options are available independently of the choice made in the fourth year: "Avionics", "Aeronautical Systems Design", "Space Systems Design" and "Management and Industrial Logistics".
From the first year on the school offers lessons relating to aeronautics in addition to basic scientific education, and a large part of the teaching throughout the curriculum is project-based. Students also have the opportunity to attend a technical and managerial course sanctioned by an MBA in "business and international negotiation" of the Institut supérieur de gestion in addition to the diploma of the school, or to make the last year of studies in a foreign university in partnership with IPSA. Eleven months of internship are planned in the curriculum.
After graduation, graduates are represented by the association AAEIPSA (IPSA Alumni association). 70% of them work in the aerospace industry, mainly in research and development (46%) and in the Île-de-France region (57%).
Admission to the school is possible after a baccalauréat by succeeding at the competition "Advance" organized in partnership with EPITA and ESME-Sudria. In total, the three schools offer approximately 900 places. It is also possible to enter the school in the second, third or fourth year of studies for students coming from classe préparatoire aux grandes écoles, Bachelor or Master.
Partnerships allowing students to obtain a Master of Science in addition to the degree of IPSA exist with Shenyang University in China, Cranfield University in the UK, Moscow State University in Russia, the Université Laval in Canada and the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan.
Students also have access to the Erasmus Programme.
The laboratory of 3D computer graphics and calculation investigates new algorithms to solve problems of processing and analysis of signals and images. An agreement of partnership with the laboratoire des signaux et systèmes (L2S) (signals and systems laboratory), a laboratory of CNRS based at Supélec, was signed in 2010.
In 2006, IPS'action association launched the UNIV'air challenge in order to present students with research projects in partnership with the Association Aéronautique et Astronautique de France and other universities such as SUPAERO or EPF. In 2008, a UAVs project named "Hélitronix" and realized by students and researchers of the mechatronics laboratory was selected during the Minidrone challenge funded by DGA and organized by ONERA. The same laboratory works on the "Perseus project" which consists of the development of rockets for CNES, in partnership with the AéroIPSAstudent association.
Moreover, IPSA participates in the cluster ASTech Paris Région. It contributes to its development in many sectors: aircraft engine, onboard energy, aircraft design, material, training and research, and maintenance.
In November 2011, the laboratory of fluid mechanics applied to aerodynamics adopted a new calculation tool allowing for the commissioning of a digital wind tunnel by the end of 2011.
- Lucien Robineau (dir.), Les Français du ciel : Dictionnaire historique, Paris, le cherche midi, 2005, 782 p. (ISBN 2749104157), p. 628
- (French) Mehdi. D, Saint-Agne. Epitech et l'Ipsa misent sur la Ville rose, La Dépêche du Midi, 6 April 2007
- André Turcat, Pilote d'essais : Mémoires II, Paris, le cherche midi, 2009, 199 p. (ISBN 978-2-7491-1374-6), p. 197
- (French) Ginibrière Gaëlle, IPSA : 50 ans avec l'aéronautique, L'Express Emploi, 15 June 2009
- GIFAS, Une formation pour un métier dans l'industrie aéronautique et spatiale, Paris, 2011, 62 p., p. 46
- (French) Mariama Diallo, L'IPSA, école d'ingénieurs aéronautique depuis 1961, Le Journal de l'aviation, 24 April 2012
- "IPSA - Institut polytechnique des sciences avancées" (in French). onisep.fr. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Arrêté du 14 avril 2010 portant reconnaissance par l'Etat de l'Institut polytechnique des sciences avancées" (in French). Légifrance.
- "Ingénieur diplômé de l'Institut polytechnique des sciences avancées Formation initiale sous statut d'étudiant" (in French). CTI.
- "Fiche détailée présentant toutes les informations sur IPSA Paris – Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées - école d'ingenieur" (in French). Ecole-ingenieur.com. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- (French) L'IPSA, école d'ingénieurs aéronautique depuis 1961
- (French) IPSA : 50 ans aver l'aéronautique
- "Résumé descriptif de la certification" (in French). RNCP.
- "Membres de l'ISSAT" (in French). ISSAT.
- "IPSA" (in French). Aerospace Valley.
- "IPSA - Ouverture d’une 3ème année à Toulouse et déménagement à Ivry" (in French). Studyrama.
- "Décision n°2011/09-06 relative à l'habilitation de l'Institut polytechnique des sciences avancées (IPSA) à délivrer un titre d'ingénieur diplômé" (in French). Commission des Titres d'Ingénieur.
- "ADVANCE : Les 3 écoles CTI du Groupe IONIS lancent un nouveau concours commun" (in French). capcampus.com.
- "Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées - IPSA" (in French). cdefi.fr.
- (French) Décision n° 2013/ 03-07 relative à l’habilitation de l’Institut polytechnique des sciences avancées à délivrer un titre d’ingénieur diplômé
- "Hervé Renaudeau" (in French). EducPros.fr.
- Les écoles d'ingénieurs (in French). Hobsons France. 2006. p. 238. ISBN 9782845551367. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- (French) Ecoles d’ingénieurs: qu’est ce que c’est ?
- (French) IPSA Paris
- (French) ESME Sudria : implantation à Lille et Lyon, nouveau campus à Paris, nouveau concours Advance et intégration dans APB
- (French) IPSA Ivry-sur-Seine
- (French) Succès pour la première promotion d'élèves de l'IPSA en Chine
- European Partnership Programme : Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées
- (French) Partenaires du département de génie mécanique
- (French) Aéronautique : 30 étudiants de l’IPSA bientôt en stage à Tainan
- (French) Hélitronix, le projet des étudiants de l’IPSA sélectionné
- (French) Les membres
- "Results for 2010 - 2011".