Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
The Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques (IHÉS; in English: Institute of Advanced Scientific Studies) is a French institute supporting advanced research in mathematics and theoretical physics. It is located in Bures-sur-Yvette just south of Paris. It is now part of the confederal University of Paris in Saclay as an advanced studies institute..
The IHÉS, was founded in 1958 by businessman and mathematical physicist Léon Motchane with the help of Robert Oppenheimer and Jean Dieudonné as a research centre in France, on model to the renowned Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, United States.
The strong personality of Alexandre Grothendieck and the broad sweep of his revolutionizing theories were a dominating feature of the first ten years at the IHÉS. René Thom received an invitation from IHÉS in 1963 and after his appointment remained there until his retirement in 1988. Dennis Sullivan is remembered as one who had a special talent for encouraging fruitful exchanges among visitors and provoking a new and deeper insight into their ideas.
The IHÉS runs a highly regarded mathematical journal, Publications Mathématiques de l'IHÉS.
Some of the top mathematicians who were or are now permanent professors at the IHÉS include Jean Bourgain, Alain Connes, Pierre Deligne, Mikhail Gromov, Alexandre Grothendieck, Oscar Lanford III, Laurent Lafforgue, Maxim Kontsevich, Dennis Sullivan and René Thom. The long-term visitors are Ahmed Abbes, Ofer Gabber, and Christophe Soulé.
Theoretical Physics faculty
- "On the occasion of receiving the Seki Takakazu Prize". Mathematical Society of Japan.
- edited by Lawrence D. Kritzman, Brian J. Reilly. The Columbia History Of Twentieth-Century French Thought. Columbia University Press. p. 665.
- Jackson, Allyn. "Grothendieck at 80, IHES at 50". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved 2008.
- Jackson, Allyn. "The IHÉS at Forty". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved March 1999.
- (French) Official web site Retrieved 3 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Institut des hautes études scientifiques.|