Institut du Bosphore
The Institut du Bosphore is a think-tank of high-level Turkish and French personalities from various backgrounds including politicians, businessmen, economists, experts and intellectuals. The stated mission of the Institut du Bosphore is to bolster free and objective links between France and Turkey.
The Institut du Bosphore debates topics such as global politics, economy, social and cultural issues with a view to highlighting Turkey’s involvement in global society and in particular its close ties with the European Union and France. It facilitates common reflection of French and Turkish people on Europe and current global issues.
Executive Committee And Founding Members
- Pekin Baran, Vice-President of TÜSİAD High Advisory Council, President of Denizcilik A.S.
- Umit Boyner, Former President of TÜSİAD (2010-2012), Member of Board of Directors, Boyner Holding
- Esref Hamamcioglu, Member of TÜSİAD, President, Up Consultancy
- Bahadir Kaleagasi, International Coordinator of TÜSİAD, President of Institut du Bosphore
- Ferit Sahenk, Former Vice President of TÜSİAD (2007 – 2009) Chairman of the Board of Directors, Dogus Holding
- Volkan Vural, Member of TÜSİAD Board of Directors Advisor, Dogan Holding A.S.
- Arzuhan Dogan Yalcindag, Former President of TÜSİAD (2007 – 2009), Chairwoman of the Board of Directors, Dogan TV Holding
- Zafer A. Yavan, Secretary General, TÜSİAD
Scientific Committee members
Co-chairmen of the Scientific Committee
- Anne Lauvergeon, President, Commission “Innovation 2030”
- Kemal Derviş, Vice President of Brookings Institution, Advisor to the Sabanci University
- Alexander Adler, Historian, journalist
- Lucien Arkas, Chairman of the Arkas Holding Board of Directors
- Ahmet Aykaç, Economist
- Pekin Baran, President of Denizcilik A.Ş.
- Suheyl Batum, Professor of Constitutional law, Bahçeşehir University
- Joachim Bitterlich, Ambassador (ret), Professor at ESCP Europe Paris
- Ümit Boyner, Member of Boyner Holding Executive Board, President of TUSIAD
- Philippe de Buck, General Director, BusinessEurope
- Patrick de Cambourg, Chairman, Mazars
- Yavuz Canevi, Executive Chairman of Turkish Economy Bank (TEB)/(BNP Paribas)
- Henri de Castries, Chairman and CEO of AXA Management Board
- Jean François Copé, President, Génération France
- Alain Delcamp, Former Secretary General, The French Senate, Vice-president of the French Association of Constitutionalists
- Anne Dufermont, Director Corporate Public Affairs, L’Oréal
- Claude Fischer, President, Confrontations Europe
- Stephane Fouks, Director of Havas Group, Executive Chairman Euro RSCG Worldwide
- Nilüfer Göle, Sociologist, Ecole des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS)
- Bernard Guetta, Journalist
- Elizabeth Guigou, Member of the French Parliament
- Nedim Gürsel, Writer, Lecturer of contemporary Turkish literature at the Sorbonne, Director of Research at the “Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique”
- Hubert Haenel, Former President of the Commission for European Affairs of the French Senate
- Jean-Paul Herteman, Chairman & CEO, Safran
- Valérie Hoffenberg, National Secretary of the UMP in charge of international relations with think tanks
- Jean-Pierre Jouyet, Chairman of Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF)
- Alain Juppé, Mayor of Bordeaux, Former French Prime Minister (1995 – 1997), Former French Minister of Foreign Affairs (2011 - 2012)
- Riza Kadilar, Natixis Pramex Turkey Representative, Member of Country Communication Committee TUSIAD
- Aldo Kaslowski, Chairman of Organik Holding
- Mustafa Koç, Chairman of Koç Holding
- Thierry Mariani, French State Secretary for Transport
- Gérard Mestrallet, CEO of GDF SUEZ
- Pierre Moscovici, Member of the French Parliament, Former Vice-President of the European Parliament
- Soli Özel, Lecturer, International Relations Department Kadir Has University
- Paul Poudade, French Ambassador to Turkey (2004–2007)
- Michel Rocard, Former French Prime Minister
- Augustin de Romanet, Chairman & CEO, Aéroports de Paris (ADP)
- Daniel Rondeau, French Ambassador in Malta, Writer, Journalist
- Güler Sabancı, Chairwoman of Sabancı Holding
- Jean-Luc Sauron, Professor at Paris-Dauphine University, President of the European Jurists Association
- Bernard Soulage, Vice-President of the Rhône-Alpes Regional Council
- Mustafa Sani Şener, Board Member and President & CEO, TAV Holding
- Catherine Tasca, Vice President of the French Senate
- Haluk Tükel, Advisor to TUSIAD, Founder President of Institut du Bosphore
- Füsun Türkmen, Professor, Internationals Relations, Galatasaray University
- Sinan Ülgen, President of the Centre for Economics and Foreign Policy Studies EDAM
- Denis Verret, Senior International Advisor d’EADS, Strategy and Marketing Organisation, President, DV-Conseil
- Meral İnci Zaim, Chairwoman of Inci Holding
- Bahadır Kaleağası, President of Institut du Bosphore
Institut du Bosphore intends to maintain a strong presence in France on debates regarding Turkey via organizing several high profile events. As an objective platform of free dialogue, Institut will be active through seminars and conferences apropos global and European affairs, bilateral issues between France and Turkey.
- Annual Seminars
The Annual Seminar, organized once a year in Istanbul, brings together French and Turkish personalities from many different worlds: politics, business, finance, sociology, science and academics, providing an excellent opportunity for indepth reflection.
12 & 13 September 2013, Istanbul : "Europe – France – Turkey: Time To Make Choices"
8 & 9 November 2012, Istanbul: "Europe In Crisis: Impact, Challenges And Opportunities For France & Turkey"
29 & 30 September 2011, Istanbul : "Europe and The Planet of G20: Economy - Democracy - Ecology"
11&12 June 2010, Istanbul: "The world and Turkey: New Players, New visions" In the context of Turkey's new strategic position in the world balance of power, the Institut du Bosphore aims to be one of the leading actors of innovative debate on relations between Turkey and the European Union in general and France in particular. The second annual seminar of the Institut du Bosphore was held on the following theme: "The world and Turkey: New Players, New visions"
22&23 October 2009, Istanbul: “Turkey/Europe: Starting Over & Reconstructing Turkey – EU Relations”
The initial annual seminar of Institut du Bosphore treated a daring theme that sparked robust debate: “Turkey/Europe: Starting Over & Reconstructing Turkey – EU Relations”. This event offered the opportunity to broaden discussions to Turkey’s position in Europe and in the world today. This is a broader theme that goes beyond the France-Turkey relationship, thereby attracting prominent European personalities.
- Cercle de l’Institut du Bosphore
June 14, 2011 in Paris Institut du Bosphore inaugurated "Cercle de l’Institut du Bosphore" which held its first breakfast meeting.
19 September 2012, Paris.
- Visit of Major Cities in France
2–4 November 2010, Bordeaux and Toulouse
As part of his visit of major cities in France, Institut du Bosphore met with key political and economic leaders of Bordeaux on 2–3 November and of Toulouse on 3–4 November.
10–11 February 2010, Lyon
As part of his visit of major cities in France, Institut du Bosphore met with key political and economic leaders of Lyon on 10–11 February 2011.
- Press Conference
8 September 2009, Paris: Institut du Bosphore Press Meeting
The press meeting of the Institut du Bosphore Opening was realized in Pavillon Kleber, Paris on 8 September. Institut President Haluk Tukel, Scientific Committee members; Umit Boyner, Henri de Castries, Pekin Baran and Gilles Veinstein presented the institute’s raison d’etre and its planned activities for 2010. Ensuingly, Q&A session was conducted.