Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka
|Institute of Business Administration|
|Type||Semi-autonomous Institute under University of Dhaka|
Prof. G. M. Chowdhuryfaculty = 39
|Campus||Urban, located at Shahbag|
|Website||The Official Website of IBA, DU|
The Institute of Business Administration (Bengali: ব্যবসায় প্রশাসন ইনস্টিটিউট) of the University of Dhaka - commonly known as IBA - is the pioneer in rendering business education in Bangladesh. It is also first business school in South East Asia. Commitment to the highest educational standards distinguishes IBA among the educational institutes in Bangladesh. This reputation has been achieved through a tradition of excellence and dedication to quality education and research. IBA graduates are highly sought after by the industry and IBA is proud of its students who have made outstanding contributions to various fields, both at home and abroad.
IBA was founded in 1966 in collaboration with Indiana University, Bloomington, USA, under a Ford Foundation Financial Assistance Program with the objective of providing professional training to create future business leaders. The founder-director of IBA is Professor M. Shafiullah. IBA began its journey by launching its flagship MBA program. In the 1970s, the MPhil and PhD programs were introduced. In response to the growing demand for business education at the undergraduate level, the BBA program was started in 1993. In 2007, the Executive MBA program was launched to cater to the growing demand for quality education among mid-career executives.
Board of Governors 
Institute of Business Administration, governed by the 4th Statute of the University of Dhaka, functions within the broad framework of policies, rules and regulations of the University. Chaired by the Vice-Chancellor of University of Dhaka, an 11-member Board of Governors provides the policy and administrative guidance for IBA. . 1) Vice-Chancellor of the University 2) Treasurer of the University 3) Dean of the Faculty of Business Studies 4) One nominee of the Syndicate from among its members 5) One nominee of the Academic Council from among its members 6) One nominee of the Faculty of Social Sciences 7) Three members from the business community nominated by the Chancellor 8) One elected representative of IBA faculty members, and 9) Director, IBA as Member Secretary The present Vice Chancellor of the University of the Dhaka is the Chairperson of the board: Professor A A M S Arefin Siddique The Institute is headed by a Director, who is also a faculty member of the Institute. The Director is responsible for overall management and supervision of the activities of the Institute. The present Director of IBA is:Professor G M Chowdhury.
Academic Board 
The Academic Board of the Institute reviews the academic programs. All Professors and Associate Professors of IBA are members of this Board and the Director of IBA is the Chairperson of the board. The other members are the Dean of the Faculty of Business Studies and the Chairmen of the Departments thereunder. There is also a provision of including nominated members from the academic and business communities.
Co-ordination and Development (C&D) Committee 
The Co-ordination and Development Committee consists of the top one-third of the total number of teachers of the Institute. It is responsible for, among other things, planning of further development of the Institute in the areas of academic and research programs, and recruitment and training of teachers.
Academic Committee 
The Academic Committee is composed of all the teachers of the Institute. The Committee provides operational guidance to the academic programs of the Institute. It deals with admission of students, curricula, examinations, teaching and co-curricular activities etc.
IBA director 
The Director of IBA is the chief administrative authority for the institution. The current Director is Prof. Iqbal Ahmed, M.Indl. Admin Sc, UK, MSc, BSc (Hons), PGD-in-Indl. Relations (Holland), Dip-in-Personnel Mgt (Dhaka)
Former IBA Directors 
- Prof. M. Safiullah
- Dr. Lee Charles Nehrt
- Dr. Md. Mawdudur Rahman
- Dr. Muzaffar Ahmad
- Prof. Dr. Hafiz G A Siddiqi
- Prof. Alimur Rahman
- Dr. Md. Alimullah Miyan
- Prof. Dr. Rahim B Talukder
- Prof. Dr. Shamsul Haque
- Prof. Dr. Abdur Rab
- Prof. Dr. Nurur Rahman
- Prof. Dr. Anwar Hossain
- Prof. Dr. Iftekhar Ghani Chowdhury
- Prof. Dr. Md. Ziaulhaq Mamun
- Prof. G. M. Chowdhury
The campus 
IBA has its own premises within the campus of the University of Dhaka. The four storied main building contains 65,000 square feet (6,000 m2) of floor space. In addition to classrooms the premises houses a library, the administrative and faculty offices, conference room, lecture and seminar rooms, computer lab, machine room, a teacher's lounge, 2 cafeterias for students and an auditorium. IBA has an informal reading room popularly known as "Bunker" to IBA students. It is named so because the only access to it is down the library stairs. It is one of the prominent gathering place for the students at IBA.
IBA cafeteria (At the ground floor of IBA building) is unique in its nature as it has no tables or chairs to sit on. People either stand beside the wall-mounted shelves or seat on the cafeteria floor to have their food. IBA Canteen, as it is popularly called in the Dhaka University Campus, is one of the favorite place to have lunch in DU. The EMBA floor has a separate cafeteria.
To cater to the unique needs of the business and society, the Institute has created some special centers, viz., Center for Management Research and Publications(CMRP), IBA Computer Center (IBACC), Development and Policy Research Center(DPRC), Center for Women’s Studies (CWS), Center for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (CESBD), IBA Case Development Center (ICDC), Center for Population Management and Research (CPMR), and IBA Environment Development Center (IEDC). Each Center is headed by a Chairperson chosen from among the IBA faculty members.
Academic programs 
- MBA (Day & Evening)
- DBA (Doctor of Business Administration)
Support programs 
- Management Development Program (MDP)
- Management Consultancy Program (MCP)
- Dr. Muhammad Ziaulhaq Mamun, PhD (Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka), MBA (American University of Beirut), BSc in Civil Engineering (BUET)
- G. M. Chowdhury, MBA (Aston University)
- Dr. Syed Ferhat Anwar PhD (University of Dhaka), DUT (Canada), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka), MSc (University of Dhaka), BSc (Hons)
- Iqbal Ahmed, M.Indl. Admin Sc (Aston University, UK, MSc (University of Dhaka), BSc (Hons), PGD-in-Indl. Relations (Holland), Dip-in-Personnel Mgt (Dhaka)
- Dr. Saiful Majid, PhD (Dortmund), (W. Germany), MBA (Dortmund), (W. Germany), MSc in Economics (USSR)
- Mohammad A. Momen, MBA (USA), MCom in Finance (University of Dhaka), BCom (Hons)
- Dr. Nazma Ara Hussain, PhD (University of Dhaka), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka), PGD in Mgt Actg (UK)
- Dr. Jawadur Rahim Zahid, PhD (MBS, Manchester), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka)
- Shakil Huda, MSBA (Texas Tech University), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka)
- Syed Munir Khasru, MBA (Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania), USA
- Dr. Md Jahangir Alam, PhD (University of Dhaka), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka), MSc in Physics (Rajshahi University)
- Neaz Ahmed, MBA (UNB, Canada), MBA(Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka), BA (Hons)
- Dr. Khair Jahan Sogra, PhD (Macquarie University, Australia), MBA (University of New Brunswick, Canada ), MBA (Institute of Business Administration, University of Dhaka)
- "IBA Website: About IBA". Archived from IBA Website: About IBA the original on 2005-03-27. Retrieved April 10, 2005.
Official Website of IBA