Institute of Business Management
|Institute of Business Management|
|Chancellor||Elahi Bux Soomro|
|President||Shahjehan S. Karim|
|Rector||Talib S. Karim|
|Dean||Prof. Dr. Irfan Hyder|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
The Institute of Business Management (IoBM) is a university and business school in Karachi, Pakistan. IoBM is composed of four colleges, the College of Business Management (CBM), the College of Economics and Social Development (CESD), the College of Computer Science and Information Systems (CCSIS) and the College of Engineering Sciences (CES).
- 1 Overview
- 2 Programs offered
- 3 Admissions
- 4 Student achievements and awards
- 5 Student activities
- 6 Membership in professional bodies
- 7 References
- 8 External links
IoBM started as College of Business Management offering BBA and MBA degrees. Since the inception of CBM, it has grown rapidly.
IoBM is built on a 9 acres (36,000 m2) site.
IoBM has extensive links with North American Universities. Professors from the Universities of Arizona State and Brock have served as Chief Academic Officers of CBM. The present CBM Dean has over 38 years of experience at the State Bank of Pakistan and Dean, CCSIS has over twelve years teaching experience in US and Pakistani universities. IoBM enjoys the support of some of Pakistan's leading companies. IoBM students have gone abroad for higher studies to Harvard, Rutgers, Drexel, New York University, University of Bradford School of Management and other business schools in Europe, USA and Canada.
IoBM's BBA, BCS and BS Joint (Honors) programs have a compulsory foreign language component (Arabic, French, Spanish, German, Japanese and Italian).
Organizations such as The Aga Khan University Hospital, Berger Paints, Standard Chartered Bank, CitiBank, Faysal Bank, ICI, Philips Electrical Industries, Unilever and BP Pakistan offer internships to IoBM students. The society of Business Engineers awarded CBM with "Excellence in Business Education" in August 2007.
According to the 2013 ranking issued by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC), IoBM was ranked the 11th position (overall) for the category of Business Schools in Pakistan, well behind new comers Iqra University (ranked 3rd) and long time rivals IBA (ranked 2nd). The breakup of the ranking further showed that IoBM teaching quality scored 10.29 (points) and had slipped down to the second-last position (12th position) when compared to the other business schools. The decline in their business school ranking was protested and rejected by the management of IoBM claiming that the HEC was mistaken and had misinterpreted data, however, the HEC have stood by their decision and claim that no mistakes or mis-interpretation was made.
Quality and Research based Ranking of Pakistani HEIs (by HEC) http://www.hec.gov.pk/InsideHEC/Divisions/QALI/Others/RankingofUniversities/Pages/CategoryWise.aspx
College of Business Management
- BBA (Honors)
- BS (Honors) Economics and Finance
- BS (Honors) Accounting and Finance
- MBA (Regular)
- MBA (Executive)
- MBA Health and Hospital Management
- MBA Advertising and Media Management
- MBA Educational Management
- MBA Finance and Risk Management
- MBA Environment and Energy Management
- MBA Educational Management
- MS Leading to PhD in Business Management
College of Computer Science and Information Systems
- BS Computer Science
- BS Actuarial Science and Risk Management
- MS Computer Science
College of Engineering and Sciences
- BS Industrial Engineering and Management
- MBA Industrial Management after BS Industrial Engineering and Management
- MBA Industrial Management
- BE Electrical (Electronics)
- BE Electrical (Telecommunications)
- MBA Telecommunication Management
College of Economics and Social Development
- BS Accountancy, Management & Law (Formerly BS (Honors) Commerce)
- BS (Honors) Media Studies
- BS Actuarial Science & Risk Management
- MSc Organizational Psychology and Human Resource Management
- MSc Media Psychology
- MS Economics and Finance
- MS in Business Psychology
IoBM admissions are held once in a year (June) for all programs, twice (June & Dec) for only engineering programs and thrice for Executive MBA ( March, June & Dec) Students.
Student achievements and awards
- IoBM team won the CIMA Global Business Challenge (GBC) Pakistan 2010. Out of 50 teams competing in the initial stages from universities from Lahore and Karachi, four teams qualified for CIMA Global Business Challenge (GBC) Pakistan Final 2010. Of these, two were from IoBM and two from LUMS. IoBM’s team represented Pakistan in Malaysia where prestigious universities from all over the world participated including the UK, Ireland, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, India, China, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, UAE and Australia.
- IoBM won the second prize in Unilever Lipton Hunt-a national completion between leading business schools of Pakistan.
- IoBM won the Business Launch Challenge 2010/2011 by P&G Pakistan. The competition was a part of the P&G Pakistan’s Human Resource Initiatives and was geared towards enhancing students’ grasp of the industry in general and P&G Pakistan’s business in particular. IoBM’s team competed with over 50 teams across Pakistan.
- IoBM team was the runner-up in the GIRC (Global Investment Research Challenge) 2010. The equity research competition was organized by CFA Association, Pakistan. The participating teams included 6 institutions (LUMS, IBA, IoBM, SZABIST, Bahria University and NUST Business School). The teams were required to prepare an equity research report on United Bank Ltd.
- IoBM won the Fourth P&G Business Launch Competition 2010, held at IBA. More than 250 teams from Karachi participated in this competition.
- IoBM’s team won the Brands’ Anatomy, a Brand Building Competition held at SZABIST.
- IoBM’s team won The AD EFFECT Competition held at LUMS International Marketing Colloquium 2011.
- IoBM team won the on-Campus Management Trainee Program organized by Telenor.
- IoBM won the second & third prize in Digital Minds, 2010, an inter-university competition held by Symmetry Digital which is Pakistan’s Largest Digital Agency.
Student life at IoBM is full of activities, therefore to cater individual choices there are number of societies for such people.
- Social Welfare And Trust (SWAT)
- Entertainment Plus Society (EPS)(One of the Oldest & Biggest Society of IoBM, Organizes the Grand IoBM Jashan-e-Baharan - Well Known as "Basant")
- Vanguard: The SS Club Society (organizes ISEE event)
- Mathematics society
- Dialogue Society
- Egalitarians Society
- Strategic Human Resource Society (SHRS) (Organizes the Happening Zenith)
- The Literary and Public Speaking Society (Organizes the biggest event of the year known as CBMUN)
- CBM Society of Health Managers (CSHM)
- The Management Society
- The Marketing Society
- The Sports Society
- Music Society
- Club IT
- Media society
- Society of Corporate Social Responsibly
- IoBM Club For Entrepreneurs
IoBM has very different type of Event Organization system as compared to other institutes in Karachi. Here students of different societies have to arrange all the events themselves with no professional or financial help from IoBM as IoBMs management believes that its students shall be self-dependent & take up tasks themselves so they can groom a lot. All the recent events in IoBM such as Jashan e Baharan, the Public talk by Imran Khan had been arranged by the society members themselves.
Membership in professional bodies
IoBM is an active member of the following international and national professional bodies.
- International Association of Universities (IAU), UNESCO, France
- International Association of University Presidents (IAUP), Thailand
- The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK
- Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific (AUAP), Thailand
- AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, USA
- Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC), Singapore
- Management Association of Pakistan (MAP), (Member, Executive Committee)
- Marketing Association of Pakistan (Vice President for the year 2010-2011)
- Employers Federation of Pakistan
- Institute of Corporate Governance
- International Finance Corporation (IFC)