Institute of Home Economics
The Institute of Home Economics is a premier college of the University of Delhi. It is here that the students are provided with opportunities for academic excellence and cultural enrichment to enable them to build a multi-faceted personality and face the challenges that lie ahead.
The Institute of Home Economics was founded in 1961, by Dr. (Mrs.) S. Malhan, the founder Director, to satisfy the growing urge of the contemporary woman for wider educational and professional avenues. The combined excellence of the educational curriculum, the realistic values and the commitment of its staff members soon saw the Institute establish itself as a leading centre for women’s education in the country.
The Institute became a constituent college of the University of Delhi in 1969. Since then, the college has expanded enormously. Though it was started as a Home Science college, today it has expanded its horizons and offers a three-year undergraduate course in Microbiology as well as a four-year integrated course in Elementary education. From the current academic year, the college is offering the prestigious three year B.Sc. (Hons) course in Biochemistry. The Institute has had a long journey which started with a two year Diploma course in Home Science, to regular degree courses at the undergraduate and post-graduate level, a post-graduate diploma course in addition to Ph.D. programmes. Over the years, the Institute has built up great credibility and has gained recognition as a premier institute for education, research and extension. The Institute moved to its present state-of-the-art building at Hauz Khas Enclave in 2001. It is situated in sylvan surroundings away from the hustle and bustle of heavy traffic on the main roads. The institute is just opposite of Hauz Khas Metro station. The beautiful and spacious building is housed in a 3.5-acre (14,000 m2) plot area and offers a peaceful, serene but stimulating environment to the students. With the foundation stone being laid by the then President Giani Zail Singh in 1987, the building was inaugurated by the Vice-Chancellor, Delhi University, Prof. Deepak Nayyar in 2001. The campus is well endowed with manicured lawns, spacious lecture theatres and laboratories, which are a delight to work in. The Institute has an All India Charter catering to students from various countries of Asia and Africa. The total strength of the students at present is about 800.
The Institute has a very well qualified and experienced faculty, instrumental in giving high standard of education to the students. The faculty has been actively involved in research work which has been recognized worldwide and been published in foremost publications in the respective fields. The faculty also participates in national and international conferences, seminars and workshops and has technical and professional affiliations.
In anticipation of the changing environment and changing skill requirements of professionals, the curricula of Home Science as well as Microbiology courses have been revised to make them more relevant, holistic and contextual. These have already been implemented since the academic session 2004-2005. The Institute offers facilities for academic excellence as well as cultural enrichment of the students to build a multifaceted personality and prepare them to face the challenges that lie ahead. We look forward to your joining the Institute fraternity.
- B.Sc. (Hons.)Home Science
- B.Sc. (Gen.)Home Science
- B.Sc. (Hons.)Microbiology
- B.Sc .(Hons.)Biochemistry
- Btech. Food Technology
- M.Sc. Home Science(Food and Nutrition)
- M.Sc. Home Science(Fabric and Apparel Science)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Dietic and Public Health Nutrition
- Director- Dr. (Mrs.) Kumud Khanna - M.Sc. Food & Nutrition, Ph.D. Nutrition, Howard University (USA)
- Human Development- Dr. (Mrs.) Geeta Chopra - M.Sc., Ph.D. (Child Development)
- Food and Nutrition- Dr. (Mrs.) Seema Puri - M.Sc., Ph.D (Food & Nutrition)
- Fabrics and Apparel Science- Dr Chitra Arora - M.Sc. (Textiles & Clothing)
- Resource Management- Dr. (Mrs.) Renu Arora - M.Sc., B.Ed., Ph.D (Resource Management) PG Diploma in Business Management
- Resource Management- Dr. (Mrs.) Parveen Pannu - M.Sc., Ph.D. (Community RM & Extension)
- Biology- Dr. (Mrs.) Usha Vij - M.Sc, PhD. Zoology
- Chemistry- Dr. (Mrs.) Nisha Nagpal - M.Sc., Ph.D. Chemistry
- Physics- Mrs. Savita Yadav - M.Sc. Physics
- Microbiology Department- Dr. (Mrs.) Arti Nigam - M.Sc. Biotechnology, Ph.D. (Microbiology)
- Department of Biochemistry- Dr. Sushil T. Vig - M.Sc. (Biochemistry), Ph.D. (Nutrition)
- Elementary Education Department- Dr. (Mrs.) Jyoti Dayal - M.A. Ph.D (Psychology)
- Economics Department- Mrs. Debjani Baxipatra -M.A., M. Phil. Economics, LL.B.
- English Department- Mrs. Anita George -M.A., M. Phil. (English)
- Department of Physical Education- Dr. (Mrs.) Namita Saini -M.A., Ph.D. Physical Education, N.I.S. Diploma in Hockey