Chartered Institute of Linguists
|Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL)
|Predecessor||Institute of Linguists|
|Legal status||Chartered Institute|
|Objective||Promoting academic and business languages skills|
|Member's designations||ACIL, MCIL and FCIL|
|Patron||HRH Prince Michael of Kent GCVO|
|Chief Executive||Ann Carlisle|
The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), known as the Institute of Linguists (IoL) before receiving its Royal Charter in 2005, is a British professional and learned society for education founded in 1910, which serves to promote proficiency in modern languages worldwide.
Fellowship (FCIL) is awarded to linguists following election by existing Fellows and is regarded as a great honour. Other categories of membership are Student, Associate (ACIL) and Member (MCIL). The IoL Educational Trust is a registered charity and accredited awarding organisation.
Name and mission
The Chartered Institute of Linguists' mission is to:
Some notable living Fellows and Honorary Fellows
- Donald Adamson
- Nicholas Bowen (Hon FCIL)
- James Coleman
- Tim Connell
- Baroness Coussins (Hon FCIL)
- David Crystal (Hon FCIL)
- Andrew Dalby (Hon FCIL)
- John Gillespie
- Muhammad Abdel-Haleem
- Susan Price
- Ivor Roberts
- Peter Sutton
- Diana Wallis MEP (Hon FCIL)
- Michael Worton (Hon FCIL)
- Wenhui Zhong
The CIOL's associated charity IoL Educational Trust is a language assessment and accredited awarding body. Among other things, the qualifications are useful for court and police interpreting. These are:
- Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS) – A level equivalent for practical bilingual skills
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) – QCF Level 6; typically required for court interpreting
- Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) – QCF Level 7 – the gold standard qualification for working as a translator
- Diploma in Police Interpreting (DPI) – QCF Level 6 – interpreting for the police throughout the UK
- Certificate in Languages for Business (CLB) – QCF Level 2 – a qualification which reflects the practical application of foreign languages in the workplace
- The Linguist – Magazine of the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- List of UK interpreting and translation associations
- "Royal Charter 2005". Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "About Us: www.ciol.org.uk". Chartered Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Nick Bowen: CV". European Business School, London.
- "Tim Connell".www.gresham.ac.uk
- "Michael John Worton: CV". University College London. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Examinations: www.ciol.org.uk". Chartered Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 20 November 2014.