Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University
|Institute of Medical Sciences|
|Motto||Chikitsitat punyatmam na kinchita|
|Type||Medical education and research institute|
|Banaras Hindu University|
- Faculty of Medicine, which conducts MBBS, B.Sc(Nursing), MD and MS courses, DM and M.Ch courses, Ph.D courses and M.Sc. (Health Statistics) besides a few postgraduate Diploma courses.
- Faculty of Dental Sciences, which conducts MDS and BDS courses.
- Faculty of Ayurveda, which conducts BAMS, B.Pharma(Ay), MD(Ay) and MS(Ay), and Ph.D courses besides a few postgraduate Diploma courses.
The Institute of Medical Sciences is the medical school of the University. Like the rest of BHU it is a residential, co-educational institute. It admits undergraduate (MBBS) students through the highly selective BHU-PMT entrance examination held by BHU in cities of India. The B.Sc.(Nursing), BDS, MDS, MD/MS, DM/M.Ch, BAMS, MD.(Ay)/MS(Ay)and Ph.D students are selected through national entrance tests held by BHU in Varanasi. The M.Sc. (Health Statistics) students are admitted through a common post-graduate entrance test conducted by BHU in cities of India.
The Institute Of Medical Sciences is a residential medical institution with its own campus. Annually, at undergraduate level, it admits 84 MBBS students, 50 BAMS, 60 B.Sc Nursing and 60 BDS, and at postgraduate level 80 MD/MS, 20 MD/MS(Ay) and four MDS students besides students in postgraduate Diploma/certificate, B.Pharma(Ay) and MSc(Health Statistics).
The Institute started functioning as College of Medical Sciences in 1960 with nine departments of Modern Medicine and eight departments of Ayurveda, under the leadership of Dr. K.N. Udupa, the Founder Director of the Institute.
In 1971, the College of Medical Sciences, was upgraded to Institute of Medical Sciences. Today it has 33 departments of Modern Medicine including 10 Departments of Super-specialities, four Departments of dentistry, eleven Departments of Ayurveda and a school of Nursing.
The campus of IMS lies at the front part of university. The campus contains the medical college, the hospital, the student and resident hostels, the staff quarters, a post office, a temple (BHU Vishwanathji), playgrounds and sporting fields. While the hospital section of the campus is typically crowded and busy, the residential part of the campus is quiet and idyllic punctuated with small parks.
IMS is not under the direct administrative control of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, government of India, but under Banaras Hindu University, an autonomous central university under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, government of India. The three functions of the institute are to impart quality education in undergraduate and postgraduate medical and paramedical courses, to be a trend-setter in medical research and to offer patient care of high order.
The institute is headed by the Director as the Chief Executive charged with responsibility of running the institute and the hospital:
- Professor Rana Gopal Singh of the Dept of Nephrology is the Director.
The Deans of the faculties help the Director in co-ordinating academic activities of the institute, including teaching and research,:
- Prof Mandvi Singh of the Dept of Anatomy is the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine,
- Prof C. B. Jha of the Dept of Rasa Shastra is the Dean of the Faculty of Ayurveda,
- Prof T. P. Chaturvedi is the Dean of the Dental Faculty.
There are 28 academic departments headed by the Heads of the Departments. Ancillary hospital service is under the direct supervision of the Medical Superintendent with the individual units supervised by technical heads:
- Dr U.S.Dwidedi of the Department of Urology is Medical Superintendent.
|University and college Rankings|
|Medical – India|
The institute is affiliated to Banaras Hindu University and offers medical and paramedical courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Admission to the courses are made on an all-India basis and strictly on the basis of merit through entrance examinations. It has 45 departments under three faculties.
The institute imparts training for the following degree courses.It also conducts PhD courses in all the subjecs available for postgraduation.
The Institute admits students to courses through entrance tests held at National level. It conducts Common entrance test at centers in cities in India for MBBS, BDS, BAMS, B.Sc Nursing and B.Pharma(Ay). It admits MBBS and MD/MS students through common All India entrance test held by the government of India.
Faculty Of Medicine
- MBBS - 5 1⁄2 years (including one year compulsory rotating internship training)
- 1st Professional (2 semesters), subjects taught - Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and Biophysics.
- 2nd Professional (3 semesters), subjects taught - Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Medicine, Community Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Dermatology, Psychiatry, Radiology.
- 3rd Professional Part - I (2 semesters), subjects taught - Community Medicine, ENT, Ophthalmology, Medicine, Surgery, Orthopaedics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Otolaryngology, Paediatrics, Ophthalmology, Medicine, Anaesthesiology, Dentistry, Radiology, Radiotherapy.
- 3rd Professional Part - II (2 semesters), covers Medicine, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Surgery including Orthopaedics.
- Bachelor of Nursing: 3 year course
- Postgraduate courses:
- MD/MS in the major specialities - Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Forensic Medicine, General Surgery, Orthopaedics, ENT, Ophthalmology, General Medicine, Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, Dermatology and Venereology, Psychiatry, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Radiology, Radiotherapy, Dentistry, Anaesthesiology,
- MSc in Health Statistics
- Post graduate Diploma courses:
- Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Radiotherapy Technology
- Post-Doctoral courses:
- DM/MCh : Neurosurgery, Urology, Plastic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Neurology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Endocrinology, Intensive care, Pain Medicine, Neuroanaesthesia,
Faculty of Ayurveda
- BAMS - 5 1⁄2 years (including one year compulsory rotating internship training)
- 1st Professional: subjects taught - Ayurveda Ka Itihas, Sanskrit, Padartha Vigyan, Astanga Sangraha, Rachana Sharira, Kriya Sharira.
- 2nd Professional: subjects taught - Rasa Shastra and Bhaisajya Kalpana, Dravyaguna Vigyana, Agad Tantra, Vyavahara Ayurveda & Vidhi Vaidyaka, Roga Vigyana and Vikriti Vigyana, Charaka Samhita, Swastha Vritta & Yoga,
- 3rd Professional: subjects taught - Kaya Chikitsa, Shalya Tantra, Shalakya Tantra, Prasuti Tantra and Stri Roga, Kaumara Bhritya, Charaka Samhita.
- B.Pharma (Ayurveda)
- Postgraduate diploma Courses:
- Panch Karma Therapy, Ayurvedic Drug Standardization,
- Postgraduate courses
- MD(Ay)/MS(Ay) (3 years) in the specialities of Ayurveda Samhita, Basic Principles (Ayurveda Darshan and Siddhanta), Basic Principles (Sharir Kriya), Basic Principles (Sharir Rachna), Basic Principles (Swastha Vritta & Yoga), Dravyaguna, Kayachikitsa (Chikitsa), Kayachikitsa (Manas Roga), Kayachikitsa (Vikrit Vigyan), Kaumarya Bhritya, Prasuti Tantra (Stri Roga), Rasa Shastra, Sangyaharan, Shalakya, Shalya
- Short term courses in Ayurveda for foreign nationals:
- Introductory course in Ayurveda - two months
- Certificate course in Ayurveda - one academic year
sunil saka =
- BDS: 4 years
- Postgraduate courses :
- MDS: Prosthodontics, Operative Dentistry, Orthodontics
The students pursue research for the award of Ph.D. and D.Sc. degrees.
The first batch of MBBS students qualified in 1965.
In 1962, MD and MS courses were started in the departments of Medicine and Surgery, later this degree course is being conducted in all the departments of Modern Medicine and Ayurveda.
Since 1976, postdoctoral DM and MCh courses were introduced after recommendations of the Expert Committees and Board of Studies of each course and with the approval of the Academic Council of Banaras Hindu University. The DM degree course is available in Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Neurology and M.Ch. degree course in Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Paediatric Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Urology.
The institute provides research facilities for Ph.D. scholars in Basic and Life Sciences. Research facilities include the Centre of Experimental Medicine and Surgery, Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry, and Medicinal Chemistry. In a survey conducted by the British Medical Journal in 1993, the research material of the institution was rated as the third best in the country. Some of the institute's laboratories have been upgraded as Advanced Centre for Research by the University Grants Commission.
The campus has three hostels for undergraduate men named Punarvasu Atrey Hostel, Ruiya Medical Hostel and Dhanwntri Hostel, and four hostels for postgraduate men named Old P. G. Hostel, New P.G. Hostel, Ruiya Annexe. and Married Doctors Hostel. Undergraduate and postgraduate women live in Kasturba Girls Hostel. All hostels run their own messes.
The inter-collegiate cultural, literary and sports festival of IMS is called Elixir and is held in mid- February every year and is organized by the Imsonians, the students of IMS-BHU. The Imsonians hold annual inter-class competitions where undergraduate students within IMS compete in cultural, literary and sporting events. Both the undergraduate men’s hostels and the undergraduate women’s hostel hold annual hostel days.
Imsonians have opportunities to learn languages and enjoy hobbies in centres at BHU.
Government of India had decided to upgrade the institute on lines of All India Institute of Medical Sciences as part of phase-1 of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) whereby the Central Government will bear 80% of the cost of up gradation and 20% cost will be borne by State Government. The up-gradation work is complete.
- "Best Medical colleges 2013". India Today. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Top Medical Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Official website
- Information on Radiology Department, Institute of Medical Sciences and SSH
- Medical entrance in India