Roomi S. Hayat
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2014)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Roomi Saeed Hayat|
Roomi Saeed Hayat at IRM Head office in Islamabad
|Education||Master's in Rural Sociology, Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME)|
|Notable work(s)||Founding Chairperson of the Human Resource Development Network, CEO of Institute of Rural Management|
Roomi Saeed Hayat is a businessman and CEO of the Institute of Rural Management. Hayat is the founding Chairperson of the international think-tank Human Resource Development Network.For the last 20 years, he has been associated with the field of capacity development on institutional and rural development, and on employable skills for youth. He was awarded the HRD Award by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. He has conducted over 500 short and long term training programmes in over 20 countries, as well as various donor funded projects for the UN, ILO, USAID, Asian Development Bank and World Bank.
Hayat was born to a Pathan family in Kohat, Pakistan. He attended St Mary's High School and then PAF College Peshawar. He completed his Bachelors in Engineering at Peshawar University . and later joined the Pakistan army for three years. He later studied for a Masters Degree| in Mechanical Engineering]] from the Jersey Institute of Technology]].
Leaving the army, he became Director of Training and Research of the Small Industries Development Board of the Government of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, He joined the National Rural Support Programme in 1992 and took up the task of building the capacities of marginalized communities[clarification needed] in the rural areas of Pakistan. He set up a one-room human resource development which later became the Institute of Rural Management; and initiated a range of programmes including vocational and technical training, management development programme, social mobilization training, micro-finance training, social sector services training, education, health and academics. Under his leadership, IRM evolved into Pakistan’s leading training institute having trained more than 1 million people with an annual turnout of over 50,000 trainees.
IRM continued to grow and today has 15 offices across Pakistan including six Vocational and Technical Education Centers in Punjab, Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. In the early years, it focused mainly on supporting the development agenda of Rural Support Programmes in Pakistan by providing human development services. It now also caters to the capacity building needs of the public as well as private sector.
Human Resource Development Network
In 1997, Hayat started an international think-tank, the Human Resource Development Network. The network was intended to bridge the gap between development professionals and organizations.
Hayat still serves as the Chairperson of the HRDN, which is now recognized as a capacity building platform and one of the leading network of trainers.
Hayat is also Vice Chairman of Akhtar Hameed Khan Resource Center; a member of Board of Directors of the Rural Support Programmes Network, and a member of the Executive Committee of the PNC-IUCN[clarification needed] and CEC-IUCN[clarification needed], Geneva.
- Roomi Hayat speaking about the Role of HRDN, Press Coverage in Dawn News, September 08, 2007
- Profile: Training to Win, Interview of Roomi Hayat in Dawn News, January 15, 2012
- UNESCAP HRD Award for IRM
- Monthly Report of UCBPRP published by Government of Sindh
- ILO Report featuring experience of the ILO-TREE project in Pakistan, Page 10
- Training of youth from rural areas stressed, Interview of Roomi Hayat in The Frontier Post, July 21, 2012
- Quality Conscious Training Institutes, views of Roomi Hayat published in NGORC Journal 2003
- ESCAP HRD course on Poverty Alleviation- based on Hayat's publications
- "IRM Imparting Training to One Million People", "The News"
- IRM Registration with SECP
- Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan Grants Registration license to the NPOs
- Vocational and Technical Education Centers of IRM
- ILO Skills and Employability Network-IRM Profile as a Partner Organization of ILO
- Third batch of Leadership Programme graduates, Roomi Hayat speaking on the graduation ceremony of WLP, Press The News November 19, 2009
- HRDN Founder Members
- HRDN List of Members and Staff
- “Civil society organizations key to improvement”, Roomi Hayat speaking on International conference on Human Security and Social Development, Daily Times, November 26, 2006
- 7th Annual Trainers Retreat
- List of Certified Non-profit Organization published by Pakistan Centre for Philanthropy
- Roomi Hayat participated in HRDN Activities, "Dawn News" February 23, 2006