Institute of Social Welfare and Research (Dhaka University)
Institute of Social Welfare and Research is one of the oldest institutes of the University of Dhaka. It is the apex institution for the Social Work education in Bangladesh. It offers Graduation, Post-Graduation,M.Phil and PhD degrees to students in social welfare/Social Work. The institute plays vital role in guiding and shaping the academic aspects of social work education in Bangladesh.
The institute is situated in New Market area in the capital, adjacent to the gate-3 of Border Guard Bangladesh headquarters. It is situated in the same premises of two female dormitories of the University of Dhaka, Begum Fajilatunnessa Mujib Hall and Bangladesh- Kuwait Maitree Hall and detached from the main campus of the University of Dhaka.
The College of Social Welfare and Research Centre was established in 1958 as a constituent college of the University of Dhaka.
Later in 1973, the college was made an institute of the University of Dhaka and renamed as the Institute of Social Welfare and Research. A separate premises was allocated to the Institute, where the Academic Building with one Mens' and one Girls' hostel for the institutes' students were constructed by the end of 1974, where after the Academic activity of the Institute commenced in the said premises.
The academic Building was attached with a large open field within the premises, which became the only after-noon recreational place for inhabitant of the adjacent residential locality New Paltan.In the years 1997 and 2008 two four storied Girls' students Hall of the Dhaka University namely Bangladesh Kuwait Maitree Hall and Begum Fajilatunnesa Mujib Hall respectively, were constructed in that field covering the whole area.This had made the entire premises a congested area ,destroying the earlier beauty of the premises.
How to reach there
The Institute is situated at the west of Dhaka New Market and ahead of BGB, Border Guards Bangladesh Headquarters.A big premises of 10 Bigha of land housed the Institute Academic Building, one Men Students,one Girls' Students Hostel of the Institute, and two of Dhaka University Girls Students Hall, namely Bangladesh Kuwait Maitree Hall and Begum Fajilatunnesa Mujib Hall.The premises falls under Dhanmondi PS jurisdiction, although at the remote southern end. The premises is just on the north side of Dhaka New Market-BGB 3rd gate road, at the northern side of Azimpur Graveyard, a stone through distance from Dhaka New Market.All sorts of transports are available to reach there from any where of the Dhaka city.
- BSS(Hon's) in Social Work
- MSS in Social Work
- MSS in Social Work(Evening Program)
Now this institute also provide the three specialized Evenining Masters program.These are
- Victimology and Restorative Justice
- Clinical Social Work
- Gerontology and Geriatric Welfare
- A K Ahamadulla Library
- Seminar Room
- Cyber Centre
- Journal of Social Development
Extra Curricular Activities
- Social Welfare Debating Club
- Social Welfare English Club
- YES, TIB[disambiguation needed]-Social Welfare
Social Welfare Alumni Association(SWAA)
Social Welfare Alumni Association is a platform of the former students of the institute. Professor M A Momen is the president and Jahangir Murshed is the General Secretary of the association.
- Colonel Abu Taher, Biruttam,Sector Commander of the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
- Tahrunessa Abdullah,first Bangladeshi who was awarded Ramon Magsaysay award for community leadership in 1978
- Md. Shahidul Haque, Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of the people"s Republic of Bangladesh
- Khandker Anwarul Islam,Seretary, Bridge Division , Ministry of Communication, Government of the People"s Republic of Bangladesh
- Abdul Hakim Sarker,Vice-Chancellor, Islamic University,Kushtia.
- Dr. Mohammad Ali Khan,ndc,Additional Secretary, Govt. of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
- < http://www.du.ac.bd/department/common/facultymemberdetail.php?memberid=FMISW91021&bodyid>