Institute of Technology, Carlow
|Institute of Technology, Carlow|
|Institiúid Teicneolaíochta, Ceatharlach|
|Type||Institute of Technology|
|Director||Dr Patricia Mulcahy|
|Location||Carlow & Wexford, Ireland|
The institute has three campuses: the main campus is located on the Kilkenny Road just south of Carlow town, the second smaller campus is located off Summerhill Road and overlooking Wexford town and the third is in the old Cleremont Convent in Rathnew, County Wicklow. The institute also had a Kilkenny Campus previously, and currently offers a single course in Kilkenny in association with the NUIM Kilkenny Campus of St Kieran's College.
Together there are approximately 4,000 students whose courses focus primarily on business, science, technology; these three disciplines are reflected in the institute's seal. At the turn of the millennium the institution completed the £11.5 million (Punt) Learning Resource Centre and Catering Services which won the first prize of the Irish Concrete Society in 2000.
On a side note, one very interesting aspect of the institute is that it is the only third level institute in Ireland to have a Computer Games Development course which was actually developed in conjunction with Microsoft. It is also one of the few Irish third level institutes to offer a "higher" degree in Industrial Design, generally seen as a continental European and American subject of study.
- Education in the Republic of Ireland
- List of higher education institutions in the Republic of Ireland
- St. Patricks, Carlow College
- Mulcahy, D.G. (1981) Curriculum and Policy in Irish Post Primary Education, Institute of Public Administration, Dublin
- New Bachelor of Business (Hons) Degree, Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Previous Overall Award Winners, The Irish Concrete Society
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computer Games Development, Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Industrial Design, Institute of Technology, Carlow