Institute of Technology, Tralee
|Institute of Technology Tralee|
|President||Dr. Oliver Murphy:|
Institute of Technology, Tralee (ITT or IT Tralee) is a third-level educational institution located in Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. It was established in 1977 as the Regional Technical College, Tralee.
In 2007, the title of the head of the institute changed from "Director" to "President".
Schools and departments
The Institute has two campuses- the North campus (located in Dromtacker) and the South campus (located in Clash) approximately 2.4 km (1.5 mi) apart. It has the following Schools and Departments:
- School of Business, Computing and Humanities located in the North campus:
- Creative Media and Information Technology Department
- Business Department
- Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Department
- Computing Department
- School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics located in the South campus:
- Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Department
- Biological and Pharmaceutical Science Department
- Apprentice Section
- School of Health and Social Sciences:
- Health and Leisure Studies Department located in the South campus
- Social Sciences Department located in the North Campus
- Nursing and Health Care Sciences Department located in the North campus
The South campus has been in operation since the opening of the Institute in 1977. The North campus opened in 2001. The continuing development of the North campus will eventually lead to the entire institute being relocated to Dromtacker.
Situated on the same site in Dromtacker is the Kerry Technology Park, owned and operated by Shannon Development. The Park and the Institute often work closely together, developing curricula and providing an exchange of students to work in the Park. In September 2004, a new Nursing complex opened in the North campus. The "Solás building" as it is known is where the student nurses learn practical nursing skills. It has its own ward setting with lifelike dummies as patients.
The Shannon Applied Biotechnology Centre (SABC) is also based on the campus of IT Tralee and is a joint venture between IT Tralee and Limerick Institute of Technology. It provides applied scientific services to industry in the area of integrated approaches to solving problems associated with the better utilisation of natural materials and the novel bio-resources they contain.
Tralee IT GAA burst onto the college GAA scene in 1997 when it became the first RTC to win the Sigerson Cup. It was only Tralee's second outing in this prestigious competition. However, the college created further history by winning the Sigerson three times in successive seasons to become the only RTC/Institute of Technology to do so in the competition's history.
The Ladies football team also won the O Connor Cup back to back in 1998 and 1999. Furthermore, the hurlers won the Ryan Cup in 1997 with the camogie team winning the Purcell Shield also in the same year.
- Education in the Republic of Ireland
- List of higher education institutions in the Republic of Ireland
- IT Tralee: About the Departments, accessed October 21, 2007
- Prospectus of IT Tralee Development Office
- Shannon Development Website
- IT Kerry Senior Football - Pat Flanagan
- Sigerson Cup
- Ladies Gaelic Website