Sofia University (California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|Motto||Transformative Transpersonal Education Since 1975|
|President||Liz Li, PhD|
|Location||Palo Alto, California, United States
Sofia University, formerly known as the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (ITP) is a private, WASC accredited university. The university's academic emphasis is transpersonal psychology.
Sofia University comprises the Graduate School of Transpersonal Studies, the Graduate School of Clinical and Spiritual Psychology, and the School of Undergraduate Studies. The graduate school curricula, initially developed by co-founders Robert Frager and James Fadiman, focus on six areas of inquiry: the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, physical, social, and creative aspects of life. For further personal development, all students studying on-campus receive instruction in aikido, a Japanese martial art.
As of July 1, 2014, the president is Liz Li, Ph.D.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Transpersonal Psychology (on-campus)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology (Ph.D.) with a concentration in Transpersonal Psychology (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Master of Arts in Transpersonal Psychology (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Master of Arts in Transpersonal Psychology (on-campus)
- Master of Arts in Women’s Spirituality (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Certificate in Transpersonal Studies (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Certificate in Women’s Spirituality (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology (on-campus or hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Master of Arts in Spiritual Guidance (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology (on-campus)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts (hybrid: face-to-face/online)
Pending the approval of The Accrediting Commission for Schools, WASC, Sofia is preparing to offer a Master of Science degree in Computer Science and a Masters in Business Administration.
Sofia University offers programs in a hybrid: face to face / online or on-campus formats so students can choose what best suits their needs and lifestyles.
- Robert Frager (co-founder)
- Jim Fadiman (co-founder)
- Charles Tart
- Judy Grahn
- Fred Luskin
- Mark Gonnerman
Important Publications by Faculty and Faculty Emeritus
Braud, W., & Anderson, R. (1998). Transpersonal Research Methods for the Social Sciences: Honoring Human Experience. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Braud, W., & Anderson, R. (2011). Transforming Self and Others through Research. State University of New York Press.
Brooks, C. (2010). Embodied transcription: A creative method for using voice recognition software. The Qualitative Report, 15(5), 1227-1241
Friedman, H., & Hartelius, G. (Eds.). (2013). The Wiley-Blackwell handbook of transpersonal psychology. Malden, MA: John Wiley & Sons.
Fadiman, J. (2011). The psychedelic explorer’s guide: Safe, therapeutic, and sacred journeys. Rochester, VT: Park Street Press.
Grahn, J. (2012). A Simple Revolution: the Making of an Activist Poet (memoir), Aunt Lute Press.Tart, C. (1969). Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
Herman, L. (2013). Playing with Auschwitz: A liminal inquiry into images of evil. In Poeisis: A Journal of the Arts and Education. Vol. 15. Toronto: EGS Press.
Netzer, D. (2014). Awareness of spiritual freedom through imaginal response to mystical poetry: An intuitive inquiry. SAGE Research Methods Cases. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/978144627305013505060
Rominger, R. (2013). Integration of spiritually transformative experiences: Models, methods and research. Journal of Near-Death Studies, 31(3), 135-150.
Ruth H. Judy. (2012). Where My Soul Lives: Being a Christian Outside the Lines. Haworth, NJ: St. Johann Press.
Singh, K. (2014). Beyond mind: The future of psychology as a science. In R. M. M. Cornellisen, G. Misra & S. Varma (Eds.), Foundations and applications of Indian psychology (pp. 40–52). Delhi, India: Pearson.
Sofia University is an accredited member of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).