Institute of World Economy and International Relations
|Institute of World Economy and International Relations|
The Institute of World Economy and International Relations was founded in 1956. It was a successor to the earlier organization, the Institute of World Economy and Politics which existed from 1925 to 1948.
General Description: IMEMO is a center of scientific thought, analyzing the economic, domestic, foreign, and military policies of Western and developing countries as well as a wider range of global problems, the world economy, and international relations. The institute carries out comprehensive comparative research on a variety of issues concerning contemporary world progress from the point of view of Russia's national interests and its integration into the world economy. Great importance is attached to analysis of changes in economic, political, and social relations in the world community and their significance for strengthening international security and stability and promoting international cooperation. IMEMO is committed to fundamental and applied studies, independent analysis, and a democratic viewpoint.
Annual Budget: RUB 90.2 million (2003)
Staff: 556 (449 research, 107 administrative/support), 58 visiting.
The IMEMO conducts among others research on the following areas:
- forecasting and analysis of the world economy;
- international relations and politics;
- economic and socio-political developments in foreign countries, such as the USA, Japan, European and the Third World countries;
- problems of the transition period in Russia (politics, economics and cultural affairs).
Directors of the Institute
- 1956-1965 - Anoushavan Arzoumanian
- 1966-1982 - Nikolai N. Inozemtsev
- 1983-1985 - Alexander Nikolaevich Yakovlev
- 1985-1989 - Yevgeny Primakov
- 1989-2000 - Vladlen Matrynov
- 2000-2006 - Nodari Simoniya
- Since December 2006 - Alexander Dynkin.
Since December 2006 - Alexander Dynkin
Dr. Prof. DYNKIN, Alexander (First Deputy Director)
Dr.Prof. BARANOVSKY, Vladimir (Deputy Director)
Dr.Prof. CHUFRIN, Gennady (Deputy Director)
Dr.Prof. KOROLYEV, Ivan (Deputy Director)
It has become a well-known and highly appreciated center for fundamental and applied socio-economic, political and strategic research. Many members of Russian political elite, journalists and representatives of Media business have been on the IMEMO staff, among them former minister of foreign affairs I.S.Ivanov and many others.