Intellectual Reserve, Inc (IRI) is a non-profit corporation based in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. It is wholly owned and operated by the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It holds the church's intellectual property, including copyrights, and trademarks.
IRI owns over 60 trademarks associated with the church.
Mormon as a trademark
In 2002, the LDS Church applied for a trademark in the United States on "Mormon" as applied to religious services; however, the United States Patent and Trademark Office rejected the application, stating that the term "Mormon" was too generic, and is popularly understood as referring to a particular kind of church, similar to "Presbyterian" or "Methodist", rather than a service mark. The application was abandoned as of August 22, 2007.
- "Rights and Use Information". lds.org. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- "Intellectual Reserve, Inc.". Trademarkia. Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- For example, "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" is registered as United States Federal TM Reg. No. 2766231, and "Mormon" is registered in the European Community serial number EC004306701, registered July 6, 2006
- "Offc Action Outgoing" (Application number 78161091). Trademark Document Retrieval (TDR). United States Patent and Trademark Office. November 1, 2005. Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- "Latest Status Info" (Federal TM Ser. No. 78161091). Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR). United States Patent and Trademark Office. August 22, 2007. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|