Intelligent control is a class of control techniques that use various AI computing approaches like neural networks, Bayesian probability, fuzzy logic, machine learning, evolutionary computation and genetic algorithms.
Intelligent control can be divided into the following major sub-domains:
- Neural network control
- Bayesian control
- Fuzzy (logic) control
- Neuro-fuzzy control
- Expert Systems
- Genetic control
- Intelligent agents (Cognitive/Conscious control)
New control techniques are created continuously as new models of intelligent behavior are created and computational methods developed to support them.
Neural network controllers
Neural networks have been used to solve problems in almost all spheres of science and technology. Neural network control basically involves two steps:
- System identification
It has been shown that a feedforward network with nonlinear, continuous and differentiable activation functions have universal approximation capability. Recurrent networks have also been used for system identification. Given, a set of input-output data pairs, system identification aims to form a mapping among these data pairs. Such a network is supposed to capture the dynamics of a system.
The Kalman filter and the Particle filter are two examples of popular Bayesian control components. The Bayesian approach to controller design requires often an important effort in deriving the so-called system model and measurement model, which are the mathematical relationships linking the state variables to the sensor measurements available in the controlled system. In this respect, it is very closely linked to the system-theoretic approach to control design.
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2011)|
- Stengel, R.F. (1991). "Intelligent Failure Tolerant Control". IEEE Control Systems Magazine 11 (4): 14–23. doi:10.1109/37.88586.
- Stengel, R.F. (1993). "Toward Intelligent Flight Control". IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 23 (6): 1699–1717. doi:10.1109/21.257764.
- Antsaklis, P.J.; Passino, K.M. (ed.) (1993). An Introduction to Intelligent and Autonomous Control. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 0-7923-9267-1.
- Liu, J.; Wang, W.; Golnaraghi, F.; Kubica, E. (2010). "A Novel Fuzzy Framework for Nonlinear System Control". Fuzzy Sets and Systems 161 (21): 2746–2759. doi:10.1016/j.fss.2010.04.009.
- Jeffrey T. Spooner, Manfredi Maggiore, Raul Ord onez, and Kevin M. Passino, Stable Adaptive Control and Estimation for Nonlinear Systems: Neural and Fuzzy Approximator Techniques, John Wiley & Sons, NY ;
- Farrell, J.A., Polycarpou, M.M. (2006). Adaptive Approximation Based Control: Unifying Neural, Fuzzy and Traditional Adaptive Approximation Approaches. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-72788-0.
- Schramm, G. (1998). Intelligent Flight Control - A Fuzzy Logic Approach. TU Delft Press. ISBN 90-901192-4-8.