|Traded as||NASDAQ: ICPT|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, United States|
|Key people||Mark Pruzanski
(President and CEO)
(Chairman of the Board of Directors)
Intercept Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an American biopharmaceutical company incorporated in 2002, focusing on the development of novel synthetic bile acid analogs to treat chronic liver diseases, such as primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, NASH), cirrhosis, portal hypertension, primary sclerosing cholangitis and also the intestinal disorder, bile acid diarrhea.
The company's lead product is Obeticholic acid, OCA, also known as 6-ethyl-chenodeoxycholic acid or INT-747. OCA is a potent first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist. It is currently in phase III studies for primary biliary cirrhosis, and phase II studies for other diseases including NASH.
Other products in the development pipeline include INT-767, a dual FXR/TGR5 agonist, and INT-777, a TGR5 agonist.
Initial public offering and stock history
Intercept trades on the NASDAQ exchange under the ticker symbol ICPT. The initial public offering of the stock on October 16, 2012 was at $15. A follow-on public offering at $33 took place on June 24, 2013.
On January 9, 2014, the stock skyrocketed from $72.39 to $275.49, or about 280%, after a planned interim analysis by the independent data safety monitoring board showed that Obeticholic acid met the main goal (improvement of liver histology) at the mid-stage in the FLINT trial in NASH, sponsored by NIDDK. The stock continued to climb to $497 over the next few days before falling back to around $317 on March 29, 2014, giving a market capitalization of around $6.2 billion.
In March 2014, the company released the results of the POISE study of Obeticholic acid in PBC, which showed the drug met the trial's primary endpoint of a reduction in serum alkaline phosphatase, a biomarker for the disease. These results were presented at an international liver meeting in April 2014.
At the end of February 2014, the company had 50 employees.
- "Intercept Pharmaceuticals: Strong Biopharmaceutical IPO". Seeking Alpha. October 14, 2012. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "The Farnesoid X Receptor (FXR) Ligand Obeticholic Acid in NASH Treatment Trial(FLINT)".
- Intercept Pharma. "Press release: Intercept Announces NASH Primary Endpoint Met: FLINT Trial Stopped Early for Efficacy Based on Highly Statistically Significant Improvement in Liver Histology". Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Intercept Pharma. "Press release: Intercept Announces Positive Pivotal Phase 3 POISE Trial Results". Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Intercept's liver disease drug proves highly effective in study.". Reuters. April 12, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Intercept Pharmaceuticals. "Form 10-k: Annual report 2013". Retrieved March 29, 2014.