Intercollegiate Tennis Association
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association is an organization of tennis coaches and players at the college level in the United States. The membership includes people from NCAA Divisions I, II, III, and NAIA and Junior/Community College schools. The head office is located in Skillman, New Jersey.
The association was founded in June 1956 by 20 mens' coaches at NCAA Division I schools. The association was named the Intercollegiate Tennis Coaches Association from 1958 until July 1992. The group sanctions collegiate tournaments and sponsors eight national championships, using finding received from major corporate sponsors. The group instituted a range of awards and honors for players and coaches starting in the late 1970s.
Various regional awards are presented by ITA in recognition of outstanding performances in men and women college tennis each year.
The awards include:
- ITA/Campbell National Player of the Year Awards
- Arthur Ashe/ITA Collegiate Awards for Leadership and Sportsmanship
- ITA Senior Player of the Year Awards
- Ted Farnsworth/ITA Men's Division I Player of the Year Awards
- ITA Rookie Player of the Year Awards
- ITA Player to Watch Awards
- ITA Scholar Athlete All-American Awards
- ITA All-America Team Awards (performance)
- ITA All-Academic Team Awards (team GPA award)
- Cissie Leary/ITA Award for Sportsmanship (women Div. I)
- Rafael Osuna/ITA Award for Sportsmanship (men Div. I)
- John Van Nostrand/ITA Award (men Div. I)
- ITA National Doubles Team of the Year
- ITA Collegiate All-Star Team (composed of top players from all divisions)
- USTA Collegiate Summer Team (traveling team)
- Wilson/ITA Coach of the Year Awards
- ITA Assistant Coach of the Year Awards
- ITA Achievement Award (awarded to varsity collegiate tennis alumni)
Hall of Fame
The ITA Men's Hall of Fame is located at the University of Georgia’s Henry Field Stadium in Athens, Georgia, and the ITA Women's Hall of Fame is located at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.
The ITA Women's Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame was created to "celebrate the milestones in women's collegiate tennis, from the early struggles for recognition to the achievement of full-fledged intercollegiate competition."