Intercultural Open University Foundation
|Intercultural Open University Foundation|
|President||Sandra Hurlong, PhD|
|Location||Arden, DE (USA) and Granada (Spain)|
The Intercultural Open University Foundation (IOUF) is an international non-profit charitable organization that provides distance learning courses to master's and PhD students. IOUF offers dual degree programs in association with Universidad Azteca and its partner the Universidad Central de Nicaragua (UCN). Upon successful completion of the course, students are awarded with the Doctor of Philosophy, PhD degree in consortium with UAzteca and UCN.
The faculty and staff of IOUF contribute their time on a volunteer basis. To promote the higher education in developing countries, a limited number of scholarships are provided. The scholarship program was begun by the founders of the Intercultural Open University Foundation, Jan R. Hakemulder and Fay A.C. DeJonge. Jan Hakemulder was an academician who worked on the development programs designed to help the world's poor as an educational consultant for UNICEF. He and his wife, Fay A.C. DeJonge wrote about many subjects such as journalism, the media and ethics, alternative education, distance education and peace and non-violence studies.
The Intercultural Open University Foundation is registered as a non-profit foundation in the United States and maintains offices in Arden, Delaware and Granada, Spain. Although it originally obtained registration as a foundation in the Netherlands, it no longer maintains offices in that country, having transferred its European headquarters to Spain in August, 2011, but it still remains registered as a Dutch juridical person. The use of Information and communications technology in IOUF has been assessed and validated by the European Commission's HEXTLEARN Peer Review and Study. IOUF is a member of international educational organizations such as European Distance and E-learning Network (EDEN), European Foundation for Quality in e-Learning (EFQUEL).
As a charitable foundation, IOUF is an independent legal entity with a stated mission of serving the public interest through higher education and research. Its status as a not-for-profit organization confers favorable tax status on activities undertaken in pursuit of Foundation goals.
The Intercultural Open University Foundation was established in 1981 by Jan R. Hakemulder. During his tenure as an educational advisor with UNESCO in Africa, Jan and his wife Fay A.C. DeJonge, convened a meeting of Dutch, German and English professors at Bosk House in Opeinde, Netherlands. After this meeting, the group decided to provide distributed educational programs focused on the social subjects to students around the world, the Intercultural Open University Foundation was the result.
The Foundation was the subject of controversy when John Bear, a writer on educational institutions, questioned its status. The Foundation also came under attack in 2008 when CIMEA, the Italian Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence, claimed it had "dubious professors with dubious credentials that somehow (connected it) to UNESCO." CIMEA subsequently posted a letter from the Foundation's President, Board of Governors and Faculty protesting the reference.
In 2007, Skepsis, a Dutch magazine which aims to debunk pseudoscience, published an article stating that the founders of the Intercultural Open University Foundation held PhD degrees from distance learning institutions. The article also stated that the Foundation awarded degrees in India for about 250 Euros while charging 8000 Euros for students from developed countries as a part of the "Robin Hood strategy: what the rich pay too much, is given to the less fortunate." by the Hakemulders. The author stated that he doubted that the professors of the IOUF could legally bear the legally protected Dutch title doctor (dr.).
IOUF Founder and President Jan Hakemulder died in August, 2008. After his death, the IOUF Board of Governors appointed Sandra Hurlong as the interim President of the Foundation. From the estate of Jan Hakemulder, an endowment was established to fund the institution. In August 2009, the IOUF announced Dr. Hurlong as the appointed President. Under her direction, the Foundation shifted its focus to graduate dual degrees programs exclusively.
In October 2011, IOUF signed an academic co-operation agreement with the Universidad Azteca (UAzteca). According to the agreement upon successful completion of the program, IOUF PhD students will be awarded an international double degree offered jointly by the Universidad Azteca and its partner, the Universidad Central de Nicaragua (UCN).
The Intercultural Open University Foundation is a member of:
- Alternative Education Resource Organization (AERO)
- European Distance and E-learning Network (EDEN)
- European Foundation for Quality in eLearning (EFQUEL)
- International Association of Educators for World Peace (IAEWP)
- United States Distance Learning Association
Other Affiliations Include:
- Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies Group
- Universidad Azteca
- Universidad Central de Nicaragua
- University of Rajasthan
Intercultural Open University Foundation offers programs in Social Science, Environmental Science, Health Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, International Business Management, Social Change, Education for Sustainable Development, Religious Studies.
- Leena Parmar, PhD in Sociology, University of Rajasthan. Indian sociologist noted[by whom?]for her long-standing connections to the Indian army and her knowledge of its complex operations in India’s sensitive border regions
- Marvin Surkin, PhD in Political Science, New York University. Political scientist whose studies on race and ethnic studies informed his work as co-author of “Detroit: I Do Mind Dying: A Study in Urban Revolution”
- Muneo Jay Yoshikawa, PhD in Intercultural Communication, University of Hawaii. Creator of the Double-swing model of inter-cultural communication.
- Sohan L. Gandhi, PhD in Sociology, Intercultural Open University Foundation. Editor of the ANUVIBHA Reporter and Honorary President of the ANUVRAT Global Organization (ANUBIS), a transnational Center for Peace and Nonviolent Action associated with the UN-DPI.
- Gulab Kothari, PhD, IOU Foundation, 2002. Editor and Managing Director of Rajasthan Patrika; Author of three volume series - " Manas - The Human Mind"
- Serguei Krivov, PhD, IOU Foundation, 1999. Assistant Research Professor, University of Vermont; developed the multiagent ecological simulator LEM, based on his logic based conceptual framework for the modeling of complex systems.
- Bremley W.B.Lyngdoh, PhD, IOU Foundation, 2008. Member of the Waldzell Institute, Founder and CEO of Worldview Impact, Co-Founder of the Global Youth Action Network
- "Intercultural Open University Foundation". OnGreen. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Partners & Affiliations - Universidad Azteca". Universidad Azteca. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Hakemulder, Jan (1972). Primary Education and Teacher Training: Kenya. UNESCO-UNICEF Project (Kenyed 9), UNICEF.
- "Books by Jan R. Hakemulder". Amazon. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Publishers of Academic, Professional and Reference Books.". Anmol Publications. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Jan R. Hakemulder Et Al. (1998). Principles And Ethics Of Journalism. Anmol Publications Pvt. Limited. ISBN 9788126100743.
- Jan R. Hakemulder Et Al. (2010). Broadcast Journalism. Anmol Publications Pvt. Limited. ISBN 9788126100736.
- "Entity Details: INTERCULTURAL OPEN UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION". Department of State: Division of Corporations. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Foundation for Intercultural Open University.". KVK. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Arenas, M. Begoña (2010). "Peer Review as Means to Enhance Quality of IC in Integration in Teaching and Learning". 135378-LLP-1-2007-1-HU-KA3-KA3NW.
- "Members List - EDEN". European Distance and E-learning Network. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "EFQUEL Members". European Foundation for Quality in e-Learning. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Mission - IOUF". IOUF. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "DELAWARE CORPORATION - INTERCULTURAL OPEN UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION". Bizapedia. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Introduction to the Intercultural Open University". Internationale Kulturwissenschaften International Cultural Studies Etudes culturelles internationales. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Nanninga, Rob. "De Universiteit van Opeinde". Skepter. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Bear, Mariah (2003). Bears' Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning. Ten Speed Press. ISBN 978-1-58008-431-4.
- Lantero, Luca. "Degree Mills: non-accredited and irregular higher education institutions". CIMEA. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Intercultural Open University Foundation Letter to CIMEA Administration". CIMEA. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Dr. Sandra Hurlong Appointed President of the Intercultural Open University Foundation". Intercultural Open University Foundation. 20 April 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Global Advisory Board - Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies". Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "International Association of Universities recognized universities list". International Association of Universities. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Recognition of Studies’ Validity for Universidad Azteca from the Mexican Ministry of Public Education". Mexican Ministry of Public Education. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Universidades de Estado De México". Nuevo Leon Unido. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Member Schools". Alternative Education Resource Organization. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Graduate and Post-Graduate Credibility and Accreditation in Distance Education". IOUF. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Fanchiang, Cecilia (26 November 2004). "East meets West at conference on cultural morality". Taiwanauj. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Education - World Dignity University Initiative". Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Ojha chair set up to promote research on Vedas". The Hindu. 11 March 2004. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "PhD Programs". IOUF. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- David Last, Leena Parmar, Franklin Pinch (2004). Challenge and Change for the Military. McGill-Queen's University Press. ISBN 9781553390336.
- Rudolph J. Pasler and Margaret C. Pasler. The New Jersey Federalists. Associated University Presses Inc. ISBN 0838615252.
- Dan Georgakas, Marvin Surkin (1998). Detroit: I Do Mind Dying. Redwords. ISBN 9781872208107.
- "Biographies of Participants - Informal Interactive Hearing of the General Assembly with Civil Society on Interreligious and Intercultural Understanding and Cooperation for Peace". United Nations. 4 October 2007. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Chairman - PMO Institute of Vedic Studies and Research". Pandit Madhusudan Ojha Institute of Vedic Studies and Research. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Sergey Krivov". University of Vermont. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Making your Green Investments Grow". Worldview Impact. Retrieved 7 July 2014.