Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya
|The Interdisciplinary Center
|Motto||Freedom and responsibility|
|Colors||Navy Blue, Gold and White
IDC Herzliya has 6,500 students currently enrolled for undergraduate and graduate degrees, including 1,500 international students from 86 countries around the world.
The first class at IDC Herzliya consisted of 360 students. Over the years, leading professors from Israel and the US have joined the faculty, additional schools have been opened and the student body has grown to 6,500. IDC Herzliya was founded on the belief that an independent nonprofit university unfettered by bureaucracy and an external agenda could make a significant contribution to Israeli society and its future leadership. IDC offers innovative interdisciplinary degree programs that employ advanced information technology while providing a solid understanding of the region and its geopolitical relevance in the world.
In 2012, Israel Chemicals helped to found the School of Sustainability, which will focus on environmentally conscious business development and entrepreneurship. Graduates will be awarded a BA in sustainability studies.
Uriel Reichmann, president and founder of IDC Herzliya, holds a JSD from the University of Chicago and is the former dean of the Law Faculty at Tel Aviv University. Rafi Melnick is the provost.Amnon Rubinstein, chairperson of the Appointments Committee, is a former Israeli minister of education. Aharon Barak, president emeritus of the Israeli Supreme Court, is a member of the Higher Academic Committee and a lecturer at the Radzyner School of Law at IDC.
IDC Herzliya offers degrees in law, business, government, computer science, communications, economics and psychology. IDC Herzliya’s interdisciplinary programs equip students with in-depth knowledge in their areas of study and the ability to work effectively across disciplines.
IDC Herzliya consists of the Radzyner Law School, Arison School of Business, Efi Arazi School of Computer Science, Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy, Sammy Ofer School of Communications, School of Psychology, School of Economics, School of Sustainability Founded by Israel Corp., ICL & ORL, and the Raphael Recanati International School (RRIS).
Raphael Recanati International School
The Raphael Recanati International School (RRIS) offers programs in English for overseas students. International students learn side by side with Israelis and are involved in all aspects of campus life. The Raphael Recanati International School has grown significantly and now makes up one-fourth of the student body at IDC Herzliya.
Programs offered by RRIS:
- Business Administration Program (BA & Global MBA);
- Government Program (BA & MA);
- Organizational Behavior and Development (MA);
- Communications Program (BA);
- Psychology Program (BA);
- Exchange Programs
IDC Herzliya offers a variety of leadership programs:
- Zell Entrepreneurship Program
- Argov Fellows Program in Leadership and Diplomacy
- Rabin Leadership Program
- OFEK Forum for Involvement in Security and Social Issues
- Honors Track in Decision Making and Strategy
IDC Herzliya is home to 23 research institutes and centers:
- Advanced Reality Lab
- Asper Institute for New Media Diplomacy
- Center for European Studies
- Center for Internet Psychology (CIP)
- Deepness Lab
- Entrepreneurship Center
- Fact Center
- Gazit-Globe Real Estate Institute
- Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA)
- IDC Elevator
- IDC Institute for LD and ADHD
- IDC Social Cognition and Psychophysiology Laboratory
- Institute for Counter-Terrorism (ICT)
- Institute for Policy and Strategy (IPS)
- Maytiv Center
- Media Innovation Lab (miLAB)
- Nevzlin Center for Jewish Peoplehood Studies
- POPDM – Political Psychology and Decision Making
- Program in Applied Decision Analysis (PADA)
- Project for New Governance in Israel
- Program in Political Psychology
- Rothschild Caesarea Center for Capital Markets and Risk Management
- Unit for Applied Neuroscience
Approximately one quarter of the students on campus hail from outside Israel. They come from 83 countries to study at the Raphael Recanati International School. IDC Herzliya students initiate, lead and participate in dozens of activities on behalf of the community, including legal aid clinics to help those of limited financial means; programs to mentor and tutor elementary-school pupils; activities for at-risk youth; the ensemble project in which students teach classical music in an underprivileged neighborhood in the city; and dozens of other volunteer initiatives that students launched on behalf of the weaker sectors of the community. Students are also active in a variety of clubs and performing arts groups.
The Debate Club of the IDC Herzliya is a framework designed to provide the qualifications necessary in the field of speech and rhetoric. In 2012, the debate team of the Raphael Recanati international school won second place in the European championships in Belgrade. It was the only team from Israel to reach the final (in the category of “English as a second language”).
In 2012, IDC Herzliya won first place for women’s basketball, first place for men’s beach volleyball, first place men and women’s windsurf and second place for debate.
|School Name||Programs of Study||Notes|
|Radzyner School of Law||First degree program: LL.B. plus B.A. in business administration or in government;
Second degree program: LL.M.
|First degree program is combined – all students must study to simultaneously earn two different degrees (LL.B. plus B.A.)|
|Arison School of Business||First degree program: B.A. in business administration;
Second degree program: M.B.A.
|Efi Arazi School of Computer Science||First degree program: B.A. in computer science;|
|Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy||First degree program: B.A. in government;||A Master's program in government has recently been introduced. The program will be launched in October 2008.|
|Sammy Ofer School of Communications||B.A. in communications|
|School of Psychology||B.A. in Psychology|
|School of Economics||B.A. in Economics|
|School of Sustainability|
|Raphael Recanati International School||B.A. in business administration;Second degree program: MBA in business administration; M.A. in Organizational Behavior and Development||Programs' contents are equal to those of the same programs in other IDC schools, but the language of instruction is, instead, English.
A B.A. in Computer Science was offered previously, however the program was canceled.
- Ron Shachar, dean of the Arison School of Business
- Sharon Rabin-Margalioth, dean of the Radzyner School of Law
- Tami Tamir, dean of the Efi Arazi School of Computer Science
- Alex Mintz, dean of the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy
- Noam Lemelshtrich-Latar, founding dean of the Sammy Ofer School of Communications
- Mario Mikulincer, founding dean of the School of Psychology
- Zvi Eckstein, dean of the School of Economics previously served as Deputy Governor Bank of Israel and as a lecturer in leading U.S. universities, including Yale, Carnegie - Mellon and Boston University
- Jonathan Davis, head of the Raphael Recanati International School
- Aharon Barak, former President of the Israeli Supreme Court
- Amnon Rubinstein, former Israeli minister of communications and education
- Shlomo Ben-Ami, former Minister of Foreign Affairs, National Security
- Isaac Berzin, founder of GreenFuel Technologies Corporation, named to Time 100 Most Influential List
- Avi Primor, former Israeli ambassador to Germany, Belgium and the European Union
- Uzi Arad, former Director of Intelligence at the Mossad and advisor to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
- Boaz Ganor, Executive Director of the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism [ICT]
- Keren Eyal, Researcher on sex and socialization subjects, currently lecturing on propaganda
- Tal Ben-Shahar, author and lecturer on positive psychology
- Vered Buskila, Olympic sailor
- Roni Duani, Israeli singer
- Yoel Hasson, Member of the Knesset (Kadima)
- Ariel Ze'evi, Olympic judoka
- Yael Arad
- Reichman leaves Kadima and politics; 'Olmert broke promise Sharon made'
- Students rank universities, colleges ahead of school year
- Council for Higher Education
- IDC Student Day to focus on social responsibility
- New sustainability school at Israeli University to be funded by major polluting firms, Haaretz
- Rafi Melnick profile
- Country's first college fraternity opens. IDC Herzliya holding initiation ceremony today
- "(Hebrew video), 2:50". Celebs.walla.co.il. Retrieved September 19, 2011.
- "(Hebrew article)". Ifeel.co.il. Retrieved September 19, 2011.