|Type of site||Web portal|
|Created by||ComArch Management, RMF FM|
|Alexa rank||714 (March 2014[update])|
Interia.pl is a large Polish web portal and a popular search engine created in 1999 in Nowa Huta district of Kraków, Poland. It offers, among others: new email accounts, free web hosting, and domain name registration. The list of its 130 services includes the national and international headlines in the Polish language followed by business news, sports, motorization and new technologies, as well as online games, blogs, chat rooms, internet forums and a shopping arcade, not to mention the streaming radio and Internet television channels. Interia.pl hosts one of Polish online encyclopedias, the Encyklopedia Internautica and the thematic catalogue of websites. It features also the weather info, astrology, virtual greeting cards popular locally, and hundreds of online chats (czaterie) with the "KidProtect" option. According to statistics of W3Spy.net, the estimated value of Interia.pl domain is $1,580,043 USD with the approximate number of visits per day exceeding 741,000. The website's IP address is 220.127.116.11.
In April 2009, Interia.pl counted as #167 among "The top 500 sites on the web", and #166 in its Alexa's own "Traffic Rank". The most up-to-date statistics' summary by Alexa Internet generated for 2011, ranks Interia.pl as the #686 in the world according to a three-month traffic trailing, (down from #436 in 2009). Approximately 89% of visitors to the site come from Poland where it has attained a traffic rank of #11. This site can be found in the Polish "Portale" category of websites. "Compared with internet averages – wrote Alexa – this site's audience tends to be users who have postgraduate educations; it also appeals more to childless men between the ages of 25 and 35 who browse from work. Interia.pl has a bounce rate of about 29% (i.e., 29% of visits consist of only one pageview)." According to Alexa own rankings dating back to February 2008, it was the 8th most popular site in Poland at that time.
The portal was created by the ComArch Management IT corporation (listed on Warsaw Stock Exchange) and the RMF FM radio. The Interia.pl S.A. company is almost wholly owned by RMF FM parent company, the Bauer Verlagsgruppe, represented by Witold Woźniak. Bauer bought 96,6% of its shares in September 2008 and controls 99% of its vote.
Due to its availability and relaxed internal policy, the free hosting service Interia.pl has become a popular spam redirector in recent time. Spammers frequently link to its free sub-domains in their spam campaigns to avoid having their messages easily detected as junk and automatically blocked. Although, there are many legitimate webpages as well as services listed at Interia.pl (or perhaps because of it), spammers sign up for its free accounts in volumes similar to GeoCities (Yahoo!-owned service), although their perennial favorite seems to be Google's Blogspot based in the US. The redirect pages created by spammers at Interia.pl link only to spamvertising.
- "Interia.pl Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "Interia.pl's General Information". W3Spy.net. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- [http://firma.interia.pl/dzialalnosc/produkty /nasze_serwisy/ "Serwisy (list of services in alphabetical order)"]. Interia.pl S.A. 2011. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "The top 500 sites on the web". Alexa Internet, Inc. Archived from the original on April 4, 2009. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "Onet.pl "Traffic Rank"". Alexa Internet, Inc. 6 Apr 09. Archived from the original on April 6, 2009. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "Statistics Summary for interia.pl". Alexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "See how Interia.pl looked in the past". Alexa Internet, Inc. Archived from the original on April 13, 2009. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Alexa Web Search - "Top 500", and "Top Sites Poland" were originally accessed on February 12, 2008; before the Wayback Machine first ever capture of April 4, 2009.
- Press.pl (2008). "Bauer ma prawie 100 proc. akcji w Interia.pl SA".
- "Remember GeoCities? Spammers do" Spamnation dot info. Accessed 2009-04-20