International Academy of Design and Technology
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (February 2015)|
The International Academy of Design and Technology (IADT) is a for-profit media arts college in the United States with 10+ branches. It is owned by Career Education Corporation. The college is accredited by a national agency, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
In 1977, Clem Stein, Jr. founded the International Academy of Merchandising and Design, Ltd in Chicago. The first branch opened in Tampa, Florida in 1984.
The the college changed its name in 1999 and 2000 to reflect expanded design and technology programs.
In June 2007, CEC announced that the Pittsburgh campus of IADT would close in 2008. Later, on the 11th of December, 2007, it was announced that IADT Toronto would close in March 2009. RCC Institute of Technology acquired the school's Toronto branch in 2009.
In April 2010, CEC faced a large civil suit from previous students from IADT Pittsburgh, IADT WV, and IADT Toronto citing registration fraud, improper credit transfers, and false pretense. The previous students won the civil suit with an undisclosed amount offered.
In 2011, CEC settled a class action lawsuit claiming violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. IADT had sent out approximately 100,000 unsolicited text message advertisements in 2008. A $20 million settlement fund was established.
In 2014, CEC announced that it would close the IADT Sacramento campus in 2017.
List of Schools
- IADT Chicago - Chicago, IL
- IADT Detroit - Troy, MI
- IADT Las Vegas - Las Vegas, NV
- IADT Nashville - Nashville, TN
- IADT Orlando - Orlando, FL
- IADT Sacramento - Sacramento, CA
- IADT San Antonio - San Antonio, TX
- IADT Seattle - Seattle, WA
- IADT Schaumburg - Schaumburg, IL
- IADT Tampa - Tampa, FL
- Orlando Culinary Academy - Orland, FL
- IADT Online - Based in Tampa, FL
- IADT Toronto - closed 2009, sold to RCC Institute of Technology
- IADT Pittsburgh - closed 2008.
All applicants must complete a personal interview with an admissions representative. At the time of application, the following must be completed:
- Attestation of Graduation from High School or Equivalency.
- if not a high school or GED graduate you write a basic lit and math test, with the ability to use a calculator
- Request for college transcripts if applicant is seeking transfer of previously earned credit to the Academy.
- Application for Admission/Enrollment Agreement (if applicant is under 18 years of age it must also be signed by parent or guardian).
- Payment of application fee.
International students who are applying to IADT must meet the same admission requirements as U.S. citizens and may be required to take the Test of English as Foreign Language or demonstrate English proficiency.
|This section is outdated. (February 2015)|
The academic programs alter by locations.
- Advertising & Design (April 2008)
- Computer Animation
- Computer Forensics
- Digital Production
- Digital Movie Production
- Digital Photography
- Fashion Design & Marketing
- Game Design
- Graphic Design
- Information Technology
Web Design and Development
- Interior Design
- Recording Arts
IADT holds accreditation from ACICS (Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools). However, IADT does not have regional accreditation, thus many regionally accredited schools are unlikely to accept their credits in transfer or recognize their degrees for entry into graduate programs.The School itself claims that it is up to the accepting institution to make the final decision on the transferability of credits. Locations throughout the United States and Canada offer associate's degree and bachelor's degree courses in game design, merchandising, advertising & design, fashion design & marketing, interior design, digital photography, digital production, digital movie production, and computer animation.
- "History of IADT". International Academy of Design and Technology. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "The International Academy of Design & Technology - Toronto Video - School Activities, Sports & Lectures". OVGuide. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "For-Profit College: Costly Lesson". CBS News. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "IADT = Waste of money. CBS 60 minutes report. - TRIBE - tribe.ca". Tribemagazine.com. 2005-01-30. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Rojas et al. v. Career Education Corporation No. 10 - cv - 05260" (PDF). DISTRICT COURT NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS, EASTERN DIVISION. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- IADT * Careers & Education
- "Advertising Communications Program Areas". Iadtschools.com. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- IADT Accreditation
- "Demanding Credit". insidehighered.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Tussling Over Transfer of Credit". insidehighered.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Help Central". yahoo.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Types of Accreditation, Education USA website