International Association of Democratic Lawyers
International Association of Democratic Lawyers (IADL) is an international organization of jurists' associations. It represents itself as a human rights organization concerned with imperialism and colonialism. It was considered a Communist front organization by the United States government and scholars such as Richard Felix Staar and Robert W. Chandler.
Subsidiaries and affiliated organizations
- Bangladesh - Democratic Lawyers Association of Bangladesh (DLAB)
- Belgium - Progress Lawyers Network As of 2010 it has offices in Antwerp and Brussels.
- Bulgaria - Union of Jurists in Bulgaria
- Cuba - Unión Nacional de Juristas de Cuba
- Finland - Suomen Demokraattiset Lakimiehet (Oikeuspoliittinen yhdistys Demla)
- France - Droit Solidarité
- Germany (West) - Vereinigung Demokratischer Juristen Deutschlands
- Italy - Giuristi Democratici
- India - All India Lawyers Union
- India - Indian Association of Lawyers
- Japan - Japanese Lawyers International Solidarity Association (JALISA) JALISA organizes activities in Okinawa and elsewhere that oppose the United States.
- Morocco - Association Marocaine des Droits Humains
- North Korea - Korean Democratic Lawyers Organisation
- Philippines - The National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL)
- United Kingdom - Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers
- United States - National Lawyers Guild
- Arab Lawyers Union
- American Association of Jurists
- Palestinian Centre for Human Rights
- European Association of Lawyers for Democracy and World Human Rights
- European Lawyers for Democracy and Human Rights
- European Democratic Lawyers. Its member organizations are:
- Belgium - Le Syndicat des Avocats pour la Démocratie (S.A D.)
- France - Le Syndicat des Avocats de France (S.A.F.)
- Germany - Der Republikanische Anwältinnen und Anwälteverein (RAV)
- Italy - La Confederazione Nazionale Delle Associazioni Sindicali Forensi d 'Italia
- Italy - L'Iniziativa Democratica Forense (I.D.F.)
- Italy - Legal Team Italia ( L.T.I.)
- Netherlands - De Vereniging Sociale Advokatuur Nederland (VSAN)
- Spain - L 'Associació Catalana per a la Defensa dels Drets Humans (A.C.D.D.H)
- Spain - La Asociación Libre de Abogados (ALA)
- Spain - Euskal Herriko Abokatuen Elkartea (ESKUBIDEAK)
- IADL sent a team to investigate allegations of biological warfare in the Korean War in 1951, and published "Report on U.S. Crimes in Korea", alleging the United States has used biological weapons during Korean War.
- In 2006, IADL claimed that the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in Haiti was manipulated by the United States, and called for the release of members of leftist party Fanmi Lavalas.
- IADL filed a amicus curiae with the US Supreme Court in 2009 to free five Cuban spies who were convicted in Miami of conspiracy to commit espionage and murder.
- IADL opposed military forces against Syria and Iran in 2012.
ECOSOC Consultative Status
At the end of 1967, there were 377 non-governmental organizations (NGO's) which the United Nations Economic and Social Council could consult on questions with which they are concerned. These organizations are divided into three groups : those in Category A, which have a basic interest in most of the activities of the Council; those in Category B, which have a special competence but are concerned with only a few of the Council's activities; and those with a significant contribution to make to the Council's work, which are placed on a Register for ad hoc consultations. At the end of 1967, there were 143 NGO's with Category B status.
- International Organization of Journalists
- International Union of Students
- Women's International Democratic Federation
- World Federation of Trade Unions
- World Federation of Democratic Youth
- World Federation of Scientific Workers
- World Peace Council
- IADC, Our Aims
- Richard Felix Staar (1 January 1991). Foreign Policies of the Soviet Union. Hoover Press. p. 80. ISBN 978-0-8179-9103-6. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- Robert Chandler (25 August 2008). Shadow World. Regnery Publishing. pp. 304–305. ISBN 978-1-59698-580-3. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Report on the National Lawyers Guild, legal bulwark of the Communist Party". United States Congress House Committee on Un-American Activities. September 17, 1950.
The current international Communist front for attorneys is known as the International Association of Democratic Lawyers. This organization is sometimes referred to as the International Association of Democratic Jurists.
- "Central Intelligence Bulletin" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency. October 4, 1958. p. 5.
pro-communist International Association of Democratic Lawyers
- IADL website - members
- Progress Lawyers Network
- Japanese Lawyers International Solidarity Association
- European Democratic Lawyers website - about
- "Report on U.S. Crimes in Korea" (PDF). International Association of Democratic Lawyers. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "International Association of Democratic Lawyers Calls on UN to Respect Haiti’s Sovereignty". Political Affairs. April 19, 2006.
- "No. 08-987 in the Supreme Court of the United States - RUBEN CAMPA, RENE GONZALEZ, ANTONIO GUERRERO, GERARDO HERNANDEZ, AND LUIS MENDINA, PETITIONERS v. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" (pdf).
- Marjorie Cohn (March 24, 2012). "Marjorie Cohn: International Association of Democratic Lawyers Opposes Military Force Against Syria and Iran".
- "1954 Yearbook of the United Nations" (pdf). United Nations. p. 303.
- "1955 Yearbook of the United Nations" (pdf). United Nations. p. 238.
- "1957 Yearbook of the United Nations" (pdf). United Nations. p. 279.
- "1959 Yearbook of the United Nations" (pdf). United Nations. p. 280.
- "1967 Yearbook of the United Nations" (pdf). United Nations. pp. 562–564.
- "List of non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council as of 1 September 2010". United Nations. 1 September 2010. p. 38.