International Burch University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|International Burch University|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Mehmet Uzunoğlu|
|Location||Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina|
International Burch University was established in 2008 in Sarajevo, capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with the goal of presenting a unique opportunity to rethink the very idea of a modern university and formulate a blueprint for the future. Upon the Sarajevo Canton Ministry of Education decision, teaching process was started according to Bologna System of Education (3+2+3) entirely in English language.
IBU is member of the private Bosna Sema Educational Institutions family, well known on the ground of Bosnia and Herzegovina for the success its students shows participating various educational competitions on federal, country and international level. Bosna Sema Educational Institutions offers the education in seven schools from primary school, through college up to university in cities of Tuzla, Bihac, Zenica and Sarajevo.
- 1 University organization
- 2 English Language Preparatory School
- 3 Master and Doctoral Studies
- 4 Scholarships
- 5 Students Club Activities
- 6 Library
- 7 Sport and Culture
- 8 References
- 9 External links
There are three faculties in the International Burch University:
Faculty of Education
There are two departments within the faculty:
- English Department: English Language and Literature
- Department of Oriental Philology: Turkish Language and Literature
Duration of study is 4 +1 +3. The medium language of instruction is English with the exception of Oriental Philology, in which classes are fully conducted in Turkish.
Upon completion of the first cycle of their studies, students are awarded degrees of:
- Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature
- Bachelor of Arts in Turkish Language and Literature
Faculty of Economics
Department of Management within the Faculty of Economics offers the following majors:
- Management and Information Technologies
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
Upon completion of the first cycle of their studies, students are awarded the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Management.
Faculty of Engineering and Informational Technologies
- Department of Information Technologies
- Department of Genetics and Bioengineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Architecture
Duration of study is on the 3 +2 +3 bases and graduating students are awarded degrees of:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Genetics and Bioengineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
English Language Preparatory School
With the exception of the Department of Oriental Philology, all classes in Burch University are conducted entirely in English. In this regard, applicants should submit a valid certificate of English Language Proficiency or take the examination offered by the university.
For applicants who do not meet the requisites of the English Proficiency, university offers Language Preparatory School for the periods of one or two semesters, depending on the applicant’s knowledge and progress.
Master and Doctoral Studies
For the all students at The Burch University, studying for a postgraduate qualification is done on a full-time basis.
In academic year of 2009/2010, the following graduate programs were opened at Burch University and here is the some of the disciplines:
Information Technologies – MS, PhD
- Computer Networks and Security
- Management of Information Technologies
- Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Management – MA, PhD
- Management and Information Technologies
English Language and Literature – MA, PhD
- English Linguistics
- English Literature
- English Language Teaching
Turkish Language and Literature – MA, PhD
- Modern Turkish Language
- Modern Turkish Literature
- Old Turkish Literature
International Burch University offers a special scholarship program for the students. Scholarships are granted on the following criteria:
- Scholarships for the best students of secondary schools (Student is required to show a document of his/her achievement to win a scholarship in the full amount of school tuition)
- Three types of scholarships for the students who show the best results on the university’s placement examination
(According to the results of placement examination for all taught programs, students can win the scholarships of 100%, 50% or 30% of the tuition, depending on the test scores).
Students Club Activities
In addition to the daily lectures students may spend part of their leisure time at the University by participating:
The Linguistics Club at International Burch University is a student-run organization that seeks to foster community within the English Department, as well as reach out to non-Linguistics students who have an interest in this field. Proof of students work within this club is COURIER of the Linguistics magazine published recently.
Dialogue and Culture Club offers instruction in represented nationalities languages of IBU as well as in other aspects of foreign culture such as art, music, literature. The Club’s vision is to serve the IBU community by identifying the needs of the students and designing and implementing activities that will allow meeting those needs and to promote culture, dialogue, language, literature and arts in the IBU.
Business Development Club members organize workshops and aims to establish international business cooperation. Members of the club also organize conferences with eminent field specialists such as bank managers, eminent professors, directors and other inventive people.
The library has thousands of books in the field of Economics, Information Technology, Humanities, Literature, Linguistics, Pedagogic, Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Students also have access to digital CD / DVD, audio files. IBU has signed Cooperation Agreement with the National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina (NUB), which offers students sources from their rich archives, reading rooms and a multimedia room, a database of all scientific fields and other services from their activities.
Sport and Culture
Students in addition to a variety of personal development activities in academic fields regularly organize sports and cultural activities.
Beside the opportunity of using gym, university established traditional competition IBU Football League. It has become a regular and popular fixture of the extensive fall and spring sports calendar. The league is represented by the teams of every departments and faculties.
In order to promote English Language at the University, the Faculty of Education holds Annual Students English Speech Contest. Inaugural Speak Weeks are organized by the English Department. Participants enlist for the race being an effective speaker and through the program contest for the main award.
- Anne Solberg, htm "The Gülen schools: A perfect compromise or compromising perfectly?" Second Kotor Network Conference, 2005.
- Ihsan Yilmaz, "Discussing sustainable development in Bosnia and Herzegovina", Today's Zaman, 7 July 2010