International Catalogue of Scientific Literature
|The International Catalogue of Scientific Literature|
|Language||English, French, German, Italian|
|1902 - 1921|
The International Catalogue of Scientific Literature was an annual index covering scientific literature from all major areas of science. The Catalogue was produced by an international committee and was published by the Royal Society of London. It was published from 1902–1921, and indexed scientific literature published from 1901 - 1914.
According to Isadora Mudge in the Guide to Reference Books: "While issued this was the most important current bibliography covering all the sciences. Includes both books and periodical articles. Publication suspended after issues of the volumes for 1914". A reprint of the Catalogue was published in 1968 by the Johnson Reprint Corporation (New York).
As the Royal Society was unable to continue financially supporting the Catalogue, financial assistance was sought from the scientific offices of contributing countries. Despite these efforts, the Catalogue ceased publication in large part due to a devaluation of currency caused by World War I
As Mudge notes, the Catalogue "[i]ndexes a large number of important scientific journals, but was never very satisfactory for up-to-date reference work because of the delay in publication.
Each year, seventeen volumes were issued:
|L: General biology|
|O: Human anatomy|
|P: Physical anthropology|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- List of Journals (1903)
- Supplementary List of Journals (1904)
- First Conference (March 1989)
- Second Conference (Oct. 1898)
- Adler, Cyrus (6 August 1897). "The International Catalogue of Scientific Literature". Science, New Series 6 (136): 184–201. doi:10.1126/science.6.136.184.
- "Fourth Session: Dr. Cyrus Adler spoke on The International Catalogue of Scientific Literature". Papers and Proceedings of the Twenty-First General Meeting of the American Library Association. Atlanta, Georgia: American Library Association. May 9–13, 1899. pp. 126–128. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- Adler, Cyrus (September 22, 1904). "The International Catalogue of Scientific Literature". Addresses Delivered at the Library Section of the International Congress of Arts and Science. St. Louis, Missouri: American Library Association. pp. 97–99. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- Mudge, Isadore Gilbert (1929). Guide to Reference Books (5th ed.). Chicago: American Library Association. p. 133.
- Antony, Arthur (1979). Guide to Basic Information Sources in Chemistry. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 28.
- Third Annual Report of the National Research Council (Report). Government Printing Office. 1919. pp. 15–16. http://books.google.com/books?id=Z3UbAAAAMAAJ. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution for the year ending June 30, 1921 (Report). Government Printing Office. 1921. pp. 107–108. http://books.google.com/books?id=Yo8bAAAAMAAJ. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- Fifth Annual Report of the National Research Council (Report). Government Printing Office. 1921. pp. 15–16. http://books.google.com/books?id=EsZAAAAAYAAJ. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- Mudge, Isadore Gilbert (1929). Guide to Reference Books (5th ed.). Chicago: American Library Association. p. 16.