International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
The International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences is a biennial conference discussing topics of heraldic and genealogical interest. The Congress brings together scholars and other interested persons from all the nations of Europe and from many countries around the world. The first Congress was held in Barcelona in 1929; at the second Congress, held in 1953, it was decided that future meetings would be held every two years (there have been two exceptions). Memorable 22nd Congress held in Ottawa in 1996 "for the first time beyond the birthplace of modern scientific studies in genealogy and heraldry" had Honourable Roméo LeBlanc, Governor General of Canada and his wife Her Excellency Mrs Diana Fowler LeBlanc as its patrons.The 2006 congress in St. Andrews, had The Princess Royal as its patron, and the 2008 congress in Quebec City had Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada as its patron.
The main themes of the Congresses have changed greatly over the years, and some disciplines have ceased to form any part of the Congresses' study. Abandoned subjects include sphragistics and iconography, which were dealt with at Paris, and vexillology, which was to have been one of the themes at Congresses after Bern. Genetics, which had been a subject of discussion at Stockholm in 1960, did not reappear until the Ottawa Congress of 1996. Chivalric orders were another discarded subject, despite featuring in the congresses held at Rome/Naples, Madrid, Stockholm and Edinburgh, as well as in a few papers presented at Madrid in 1982.
Over the years the meeting have been held in different cities:
- I Barcelona (1929)
- II Rome/Naples (1953)
- III Madrid (1955)
- IV Brussels (1958)
- V Stockholm (1960)
- VI Edinburgh (1962)
- VII Hague (1964)
- VIII Paris (1966)
- IX Bern (1968)
- X Vienna (1970)
- XI Liège (1972)
- XII München (1974)
- XIII London (1976)
- XIV Copenhagen (1980)
- XV Madrid (1982)
- XVI Helsinki (1984)
- XVII Lisbon (1986)
- XVIII Innsbruck (1988)
- XIX Keszthely (1990)
- XX Uppsala (1992)
- XXI Luxembourg (1994)
- XXII Ottawa (1996)
- XXIII Turin (1998)
- XXIV Besançon (2000)
- XXV Dublin (2002)
- XXVI Bruges (2004)
- XXVII St Andrews (2006)
- XXVIII Quebec, The Meeting of Two Worlds, Quest or Conquest (23–27 June 2008)
- XXIX Stuttgart, Identity in Genealogy and Heraldry (12–17 September 2010)
- XXX Maastricht, Frontiers in Genealogy and Heraldry (24–28 September 2012)
- XXXI Oslo, Influence on Genealogy and Heraldry of Major Events in the History of a Nation  (13–17 August 2014).
- XXXII Glasgow, TBA (10–14 August 2016).
-  ISBN 978-0-7766-0472-5 Boudreau,Claire.Vachon,Auguste.Cogné,Daniel."Genealogica & Heraldica .Proceedings of the 22nd International Congress of Genealogical and heraldic Sciences in Ottawa from August 18 to 23,1996 .Message from his Excellency the Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc, Governor of Canada,Patron of the 22nd Congress". p.21
- 25th Congress
- "The Quebec Congress" (PDF). The Heraldry Gazette (Guildford, England: The Heraldry Society): 8. 2 December 2008. ISSN 0437-2980. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
XVIII Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Quebec from 23–27 June 2008. The congress was entitled 'The Meeting of Two Worlds: Quest or Conquest
- Fraser, W Neil (2008). "Heraldry, 28th International Congress on Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences". Electric Scotland. Alastair McIntyre. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Heimbach, Harald. "Identity in Genealogy and Heraldry". XXIX. Internationaler Kongreß der Genealogischen und Heraldischen Wissenschaften. PRO HERALDICA - Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft für Heraldik und Genealogie mbH. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Court Activity 2010". The Court of the Lord Lyon. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
Ormond Pursuivant attended the International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Stuttgart in September
- "Frontiers in Genealogy and Heraldry". XXXth International Congress for genealogical and heraldic Sciences. The Hague, Netherlands: Centraal Bureau Voor Genealogie. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "His Royal Highness Prince Willem-Alexander of Oranje Attends the 30th International Congress Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences Conference". The Royal Correspondent. 24 September 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Influence on Genealogy and Heraldry of Major Events in the History of a Nation". XXXIst International Congress for Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences. Oslo, Norway: Norsk Forening for Genealogi og Heraldikk. Retrieved 30 March 2014.