International Day for Biological Diversity
The International Day for Biological Diversity (or World Biodiversity Day) is a United Nations–sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues. It is currently held on May 22.
From its creation by the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly in 1993 until 2000, it was held on December 29 to celebrate the day the Convention on Biological Diversity went into effect. On December 20, 2000, the date was shifted to commemorate the adoption of the Convention on May 22, 1992 at the Rio Earth Summit, and partly to avoid the many other holidays that occur in late December.
Coinciding with the observance of International Day for Biological Diversity, on May 2011 Indonesian Forestry Minister inaugurated the Ciwalen Canopy Trail that is 120 meters long and 60 meters wide at an elevation of 30–40 meters above the ground at Gunung Gede Pangrango National Park, West Java to accommodate 5 to 10 people in one trip.
The 2014 theme of Island Biodiversity was chosen because islands provide a rich source of biodiversity for plants, animals, fish and forestry products. Many indigenous fruits and green leafy vegetables are rich in micronutrients. According to the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, two out of every three deaths can be attributed to Non-communicable diseases (NCDs). These can result from a change in diets linked to consumption of highly processed imported products, while local crop species are abandoned or reduced in the local diet. As a consequence, island representatives meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in May, 2014 stressed that serious consideration should be given to more research and policy action with the aim of increasing diet diversity.
2015 - Biodiversity for Sustainable Development 
2014 - Island Biodiversity
2013 - Water and Biodiversity
2012 - Marine Biodiversity
2011 - Forest Biodiversity
2010 - Biodiversity, Development and Poverty Alleviation
2009 - Invasive Alien Species
2008 - Biodiversity and Agriculture
2007 - Biodiversity and Climate Change
2006 - Protect Biodiversity in Drylands
2005 - Biodiversity: Life Insurance for our Changing World
2004 - Biodiversity: Food, Water and Health for All
2003 - Biodiversity and poverty alleviation - challenges for sustainable development
2002 - Dedicated to forest biodiversity
- "Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) page for IBD". Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- Victor Giurgiu (Sep 2011). "Simpozionul "Biodiversitatea pădurilor din România", dedicat "Zilei Internaționale a Biodiversității"". Rev. pădur. (in Romanian) 126 (3–4): 104–106. ISSN 1583-7890. 16753. Retrieved 2012-05-30.(webpage has a translation button)
- "The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment". Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific need more research and policy intervention to stem the reduction in (bio)diversity in the diet". CTA. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Convention on Biological Diversity. "International Day for Biological Diversity - 22 May". http://www.cbd.int/idb/. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
6. "Considering Man's Place in the World," May 22, 2014, http://smdp.com/considering-mans-place-in-the-world/134683
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This environment-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|