International Disability and Development Consortium
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2010)|
The International Disability and Development Consortium (IDDC) is a global consortium of disability and development related organisations. The aim of IDDC is to promote inclusive development internationally, with a special focus on promoting human rights for all disabled people living in economically poor communities in lower and middle-income countries.
IDDC's work is primarily led by task groups where members collaborate to exchange views and ideas, and agree upon common strategies and positions. These task groups are thus fundamental to the implementation of the IDDC objectives.
In 1993, the Italian organization, Associazione Italiana Amici di Raoul Follereau, had been discussing the need for collaboration with the World Health Organisation's Rehabilitation Unit – now the Disability and Rehabilitation Team – and decided to call a meeting of European NGOs who were involved in disability and leprosy programmes in countries in the South. Eleven NGOs attended the first meeting and at a subsequent meeting in Oslo in 1994, the International Disability Consortium (IDC) was established with the aim of sharing information and expertise and to collaborate so that their work would be more effective and efficient.
IDDC Currently has 23 full members:
- Action on Disability and Development
- Associazione Italiana Amici di Raoul Follereau
- Atlas Alliance
- Christian Blind Mission
- Disabled Peoples Organisations - Denmark
- Dutch Coalition on Disability and Development
- Finnish Disabled People's International Development Association
- Foundation Dark and Light
- Handicap International
- International Federation of Anti-Leprosy Associations
- Leonard Cheshire Disability
- Light for the World
- Stichting Liliane Fonds
- Norwegian Association of Disabled
- Organismo di Volontariato per la Cooperazione Internazionale la Nostra Famiglia
- Platform Disability and Development Cooperation)
- Save the Children UK
- Sightsavers International
- Swedish Organisation of Disabled Persons International Aid Association
- The Leprosy Mission International
- Voluntary Service Overseas
- World Vision UK
As of this edit, this article uses content from "IDDC official", which is licensed in a way that permits reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License, but not under the GFDL. All relevant terms must be followed.
|This activism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|