International Exhibition of Calligraphy
|International Exhibition of Calligraphy|
|International name||International Exhibition of calligraphy|
|Featured in||Exhibitions, festivals, master-classes|
|Mission||To form a beautiful and healthy society|
|Goal||To keep the unique art of calligraphy alive for the future generations|
|Venues||Moscow, St. Petersburg, Veliky Novgorod|
|Exhibition management||Contemporary museum of calligraphy
2, bld. 1, 5 Luchevoy prosek, Moscow, 107114, MEC Sokolniki
International Exhibition of Calligraphy (Russian: Междунаро́дная вы́ставка каллигра́фии) — a project organized by Contemporary museum of calligraphy, with the support of the Museum-educational complex Sokolniki. It aims at the calligraphy popularizing through exhibitions and festivals and promoting the cultural and educational significance of the art of calligraphy for spiritual development of a personality.
Calligraphy is the art of giving form to signs in an expressive, harmonious and skillful manner (Mediavilla 1996: 18).
In 2008 Alexey Shaburov, the President of EcoCentre and Museum- Education Complex Sokolniki initiated the project with well-renowned calligraphers and designers e.g. Petr Chobitko, Evgeny Dobrovinsky, professors Leonid Pronenko, Pavel Semchenko, Ilya Bogdesko, Nikolay Taranov to join it within a few months.
The exhibition displays works of 114 artists from 41 states.
- Hasan Abu Afash (Arabic: حسن أبو عفش). designer, typographer
- Abdul Baki Abu Bakar (Arabic: ابو بكر عبد الباقي). Islamic calligraphy artist, lecturer
- Karen Ackoff. Calligrapher, teacher, illustrator
- Ganzorig Alyeksandr (Mongolian: Александр Гонзориг). Designer
- Jaime de Albarracin. Calligrapher, painter Illustrator and graphic designer
- Georgia Angelopoulos. Calligrapher
- Yomar Augusto. Calligrapher artist, designer, Bachelor Degree of Graphic Design from Univercidade in Rio de Janeiro
- Shahnawaz Alam Ahmed (Devanāgarī: शाहनवाज आलम अहमद). Calligrapher, artist
- Natalya Bakke (Russian: Наталья Владимировна Бакке) and Nina Kozubova (Russian: Нина Владимировна Козубова). Calligraphers, graphic artists. Sisters are participating jointly. Individual works by Nina Kozubova are also represented.
- Ilya Bogdesko (Russian: Илья Трофимович Богдеско). People’s artist of USSR, active member of Academy of Arts
- Mari Emily Bohley. Calligrapher, designer
- Avraham Borshevsky (Hebrew: אברהם בורשבסקי). Calligrapher, master of sacred Hebrew calligraphy
- Gunnlaugur SE Briem. Designer, publisher
- Diana Bychkova (Russian: Диана Бычкова). Calligrapher, painter Illustrator, graphic designer, publisher
- Samvel Vanoyan (Russian: Самвел Ваноян). Calligrapher, artist-designer, artist-miniaturist
- Julia Vance. Calligrapher, sculptor
- Olga Varlamova (Russian: Ольга Андреевна Варламова). Calligrapher, graphic designer
- Sophie Verbeek. Calligrapher, artist
- Bronislav Vinogrodsky (Russian: Бронислав Брониславович Виногродский) Chinologist, translator, writer, artist, publicman
- Bas Vlam. Calligrapher
- Andrea Wunderlich. Calligrapher, graphic designer
- Volker Thomas Wunderlich. artist, teacher
- Mohammad Abdullah Ghannoum (Arabic: عبد الله محمد غنوم). DLitt (art history), member of artists union CAP, prize winner of international art contests
- Salavat Ghilyazetdinov (Russian: Гилязетдинов Салават Мухаметович). Calligrapher, graphic artist
- Michel D'anastasio Hebrew Calligrapher, graphic artists, teacher and painter
- Qamar Dagar. Calligrapher, artist.
- Manohar Vitthal Desai (Devanāgarī: मनोहर विट्ठल देसाई) Calligrapher, designer
- Cho Deuk-Seung. Calligraphrer, artist
- Claude Dieterich A. Calligrapher, graphic designer
- Evgeny Dobrovinsky (Russian: Евгений Максович Добровинский). Member of the Union of artists, member of the Union of Russian designers, academician of the Academy of graphic design
- Evgeny Drobyazin (Russian: Евгений Михайлович Дробязин). Calligrapher, graphic artist, painter
- Vera Evstafieva (Russian: Вера Борисовна Евстафьева). type designer, teacher
- Yoshiko Yoshida. Calligrapher, artist
- Jordan Jelev. Calligrapher, graphic artist
- Ekaterina Zarkh (Russian: Екатерина Марковна Зарх). Calligrapher, graphic artist, graphic designer
- Claudio Gil. Calligraphy teacher, designer, graphic artist
- Thomas Ingmire. Calligrapher, designer, illuminator
- Nazip Ismagilov (Russian: Назип Файзрахманович Исмагилов). Calligrapher, fellow member of the Artists’ Union of Tatarstan, Chamber of the Art Craft and Skills of Tatarstan, textologist, teacher
- Mohammadreza Yazdani (Persian: محمدرضا یزدانی). President of the North Tehran Union of the Calligraphers
- Torfi Jónsson. Calligrapher, teacher, layout artist
- Yadollah Kaboli. Calligrapher, artist
- Qaisar Jamshed. Calligrapher, artist
- Barbara Calzolari. Calligrapher
- Henry S. R. Kao (Chinese: 亨利高山珍). PhD, Professor Emeritus (Psychology) - University of Hong Kong, Professor of Psychology, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China
- Kim Jong Chil. Calligrapher, artist
- Levan Chaganava (Georgian: ლევან ჩაგანავა), Georgian calligrapher of Georgian language, miniaturist, icon painter, font designer, graphic and web designer, Chairman of the Georgian Union of Calligraphers and Artists.
- Lasha Kintsurashvili (Georgian: ლაშა კინწურაშვილი), Georgian calligrapher of Georgian language, icon painter, member of the Georgian Union of Calligraphers and Artists.
- Yuri Koverdyaev (Russian: Юрий Иванович Ковердяев). Graphic artist
- Valentina Kozhevina (Russian: Валентина Дмитриевна Кожевина). Calligrapher, artist, conductor
- Georgy Kozubov (Russian: Георгий Иванович Козубов). Candidate in Art Studies, Professor, member of the Russian Union of Artists
- Nina Kozubova (Russian: Нина Владимировна Козубова). Calligrapher, graphic-artist
- Yaroslav Kutz (Russian: Ярослав Иосипович Куць). Calligrapher, designer, graphic artist, pedagogue
- Jean Larcher. Calligrapher, teacher of calligraphy
- Artem Lebedev (Russian: Артем Васильевич Лебедев). Calligrapher, type designer
- Yves Leterme. Calligrapher, teacher of classical languages
- Mateo Kyu Lee. Calligrapher, professor of systematic theology, teacher of Asian calligraphy
- Egor Lobusov (Russian: Егор Викторович Лобусов). Calligrapher, doctor
- Lotarev Denis. (Russian: Денис Валерьевич Лотарёв). Calligrapher, graphic artist
- Hans Maierhofer. Сalligrapher, teacher
- Hassan Makaremi. Calligrapher, artist, psychoanalyst
- Nikolay Makarov (Russian: Николай Серге́евич Макаров). Calligrapher, teacher, assistant professor of Environment and Graphic Design Department of Urals Academy of Architecture
- Tashi Mannox. Calligrapher, iconographer, fine art BA hons degree
- Nassar Mansour (Arabic: نصار منصور). Calligrapher, PhD in the Art of Arabic Calligraphy, lector of the Art of Arabic Calligraphy at the al-Balqa Applied University
- Geogory Marakuev (Russian: Георгий Андреевич Маракуев). Calligrapher, iconographer
- Nja Mahdaoui. Calligrapher, artist
- Gennady Matsur (Russian: Геннадий Иванович Мацур). Prize winner of international book art contests
- Janine Mitchell. Calligrapher, artist
- Vitaly Mitchenko (Russian: Виталий Степанович Митченко). Calligrapher, assistant professor to the National Academy of Fine Arts and Architecture of Kiev, member of the Ukrainian Union of Artists.
- Apollinariya Mishina (Russian: Аполлинария Андреевна Мишина). Calligraph, graphic artist
- Anatoly Moshchelkov (Russian: Анатолий Николаевич Мощелков). Calligrapher, member of the Russian Artists’ Union, Graphic designer, the winner of the national award “Russian gallery XXI century”, the winner of the regional award n.a. Aphanasy Kulikov
- Ruslan Naiden (Russian: Руслан Николаевич Найден). Calligrapher, graphic designer
- Bruno Niver. calligrapher, poet, singer, actor, teacher of the Lomonosov Moscow State University
- Yuri Nozdrin (Russian: Юрий Анатольевич Ноздрин). Calligrapher, graphic artist, painter
- Brody Neuenschwander. Calligrapher, researcher, art historian
- Vladimir-Vazgen Ovannesbegyants (Russian: Владимир-Вазген Осипович Ованнесбегянц). Calligrapher
- Gennady Pavlov (Russian: Геннадий Васильевич Павлов) Calligrapher, graphic artist, designer, teacher
- Nadezhda Pavlova (Russian: Надежда Анатольевна Павлова). Assistant professor of the Communicative Design Chair, St. Petersburg Artistic and Industrial Academy; member of the Union of Russia’s Artists
- Achyut Palav. Calligrapher, designer, non-staff worker, Sir J.J. College of Applied (Commercial) Art (Mumbai University)
- Bahman Panahi. Calligrapher, Musician
- Dmitry Petrovsky (Russian: Дмитрий Ильич Петровский). Teacher, Font and Calligraphy Course, College of Arts, St. Petersburg State University School of Philology
- Katharina Pieper. Calligrapher, designer, lettering artist, teacher, writer, editor
- Izzy Pludwinski. Calligrapher
- Massimo Polello. President of Turin calligraphers’ guild Dal Segno alla Scrittura, teacher of the International Centre for Calligraphy Arts in Rome (CIAC)
- Leonid Pronenko (Russian: Леонид Иванович Проненко). Professor, Artist Emeritus of the Russian Federation
- Joachim Propfe. Calligrapher, artist, diploma-designer
- Ali Akbar Rezvani. Calligrapher, artist
- Erkki Ruuhinen. Calligrapher, Graphic designer, Artist Professor in crafts and design, Member of the The Type Directors Club of New York
- Linda Renc. Calligrapher, artist
- Victor Saliev (Russian: Виктор Егорович Салиев). Calligrapher
- Sashida Takefusa (Japanese: 蛇口武生). Calligrapher, artist
- Vsevolod Sventokhovsky (Russian: Всеволод Петрович Свентоховский). Chief Lecturer, Belarus State Academy of Arts
- Pavel Semchenko (Russian: Павел Афанасьевич Семченко). Professor, For Spiritual Renewal prize winner
- Marina Soria. Calligrapher, artist, founding member of Calígrafos de la Cruz del Sur
- Nikolay Taranov (Russian: Николай Николаевич Таранов). Doctor of Education, Candidate of art history, professor, member of Union of Russian artists
- Borghild Telnes. Calligrapher, member of the Norwegian calligraphic associations SKRIFT and Kalligrafisk Klubb, the British-based Calligraphy and Lettering Art Society (CLAS)
- Yuri Toreev (Russian: Юрий Александрович Тореев). Teacher of graphic design at the Belarusian state academy of arts
- Simonetta Ferrante. Calligrapher, artist
- Vasil Khannanov (Russian: Василь Миргазиянович Ханнанов). Calligrapher, artist, member of the Artists Union of Russia, the honorary artist of the Republic of Bashkortostan, head of the art union Genghis-khan, director of the Museum of Contemporary Art of Bashkortostan n.a. Nail’ Latfullin.
- Hirose Shekou (Japanese: 広瀬蛇口). Calligrapher, artist
- Vasil Chebanik (Russian: Василь Яковлевич Чебаник). Fellow of the National Ukrainian Artists’ Union, honored art worker of Ukraine, Professor at the National Academy of Fine arts and Architecture
- Savash Chevik (Turkish: Savaş Çevik). Calligrapher, Teacher of the Graphic Arts Department of Doğuş University
- Alexey Chekal (Russian: Алексей Чекаль). Art director in graphic design studio, Teacher at the Kharkov State Academy of Design and Art, Member of the association of graphic designers 4BLOCK
- Chen Forng-shean (Thai: ฌอนเฉินฟง). Calligrapher, sculptor, microminiature-painter
- Petr Chobitko (Russian: Петр Петрович Чобитько). Professor of the St. Petersburg artistic-industrial academy, member of Union of Russian artists
- Chen Wenfu (Chinese: 陳温福). successor of the great dynasty of Chinese calligraphers, a member of the Chinese scientific union of paired signs
- Vitaly Shapovalov (Russian: Виталий Викторович Шаповалов). Illustrator, graphic-designer
- Shen Peifang (Chinese: 申配芳). Calligrapher, Editor, Professor, Administrative Director of Shanghai Calligrapher Association, Director of Chinese Cang Lang Calligraphy Association
- Werner Schneider. Calligrapher artist, Professor of Graphic Design at the Fachhochschule Wiesbaden, Letter Artist, Type Designer
- Jovanka Sorgic. Calligrapher
- Elena Epstein-Orlova (Russian: Елена Васильевна Эпштейн-Орлова). Calligrapher, artist
- Yuan Pu (Chinese: 袁鋪). Associate Professor, Beijing Institute of Communications, China Chief Editor, "Print China" Magazine publishing house
- Anne Yokosakamakiokimoto Yamasaki. Calligrapher
- I International Exhibition of Calligraphy
Repin State Academic Institute of Painting Sculpture and Architecture hosted the I International Exhibition of Calligraphy on September 16–21. Despite little advertising the first day saw more than 500 people visited it before the Official opening. With 480 works from 25 states presented. In total the Exhibition had of about 700 works 
The welcome book was to be posted an entry in with ink and quill.
All female visitors on the last day of the Exhibition were given white roses.
A just-married couple and a cadets platoon were among the visitors.
- Mystery of the world calligraphy (special exposition)
Citizenship Day caused Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy to launch the exposition on December 9–14, 2008 dedicated to the Museum’s newcomer - the first Post-Soviet Russia’s Handwritten Constitution. This A2-sized work has been performed in five months by Petr Chobitko, Chairman of the National Union of Calligraphers, in person (but lining the paper).
Evgeny Dobrovinsky, Petr Chobitko, Yuri Koverdyaev, Nazip Ismagilov, Andrea and Volker Thomas Wunderlich, Avraham Borshevsky, Manohar Desai, Bruno Niver, Chen Wenfu visited the Exhibition.
Numerous master-classes and lectures were held.
- II International Exhibition of Calligraphy
— The Exhibition place: Museum-educational complex Sokolniki
— The Exhibition date: October 14, 2009 – November 14, 2009
— The total area of the Exhibition is about 4000 sq. m.
The event was held under the auspices of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO and supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation. The Exhibition also was approved by UFI (Global Association of the Exhibition Industry) for high professional level of exhibitions organization, and then in 2010 the project entered the final three of exhibitions World Cup according to Exhibition News Awards (London).
The exhibition context included an open contest on Orthodox Calligraphy and 72 master classes with the illustrious calligraphers from a quantity of countries participating: — Barbara Calzolari (Italy) who worked for the Pope Benedict XVI and the leaders of the G8 countries, — Evgeny Drobyazin, author of the calligraphic text of the National Anthem of Russia which Silvio Berlusconi presented to President Dmitry Medvedev during the G8 summit in L’Aquila, — Nja Mahdaoui, the prize-winner of a quantity of contests, the member of the UNESCO international jury on distribution of art awards, — Chairman of the National Union of Calligraphers Presidium Petr Chobitko, • President of the Guild of Calligraphers of Turin Massimo Polello, — And other renowned calligraphers of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Israel, Italy, France, Tunisia, China and Serbia.
The meticulous attention of the public was attracted to the artworks of the sacral Calligraphy collection. The project was welcomed and blessed by the leaders of the three main religious confessions of Russia: Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill, Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar, Chairman of the Council of Muftis Mufti Shaikh Rawil Gaynetdin, Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia, Apostolic Nuncio Antonio Mennini, President of the Russian Association of Buddhists, the Karma Kagyu school Alexander Koibagarov.
Within the Exhibition the World-famous mezuzah by an Israeli Avraham Borshevsky will be displayed. It is the only sacred calligraphy work put in Guinness World Records. Top-ranked Israeli spirituals and academicians acknowledged this 76x94 cm 
- III International Exhibition of Calligraphy
The III International Exhibition of Calligraphy successfully completed its work in Velikiy Novgorod. It was held on September 10–12 in a mobile pavilion erected in the city historic centre near the Kremlin in Yaroslav’s Court. The project’s unique feature is that the event was organized by Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy, so first time in the world a global travelling exhibition of a current ICOM member took place.The Exhibition also was approved by RUEF (Russian Union of exhibitions and fairs) for high professional level of exhibitions organization.
— 37000 visitors
— 19 trucks with equipment and exhibits
— 136 tons of cargo
— A 91-manned team of Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy and MVK International Exhibition Company.
46 master classes were held during 3+1 (the day of the presentation) days of the Exhibition with 35 renowned calligraphers in the project in total. Novgorod saw more than 300 exhibits.
For the first time a wakeboarding tournament for WakeWorld Russia Cup took place within the Exhibition with best professional riders from Russia, Europe and Asia. The Long Night of Museums project was also held in liaison with the Novgorod State United Museum-Reserve.
- IV International Exhibition of Calligraphy
Date — November 1 – December 15, 2012. Venue — the Contemporary museum of calligraphy.
10 new authors with their distinct styles and personalities took part in the 4th International Exhibition of Calligraphy: Babak Rashvand Hamamlo (Iran), Sabah Bapir (Qatar), Sarah Hartwig (Germany), Davlat Toshev (Uzbekistan), Li Zuo (China), Andrei Drachenkov (Russia), Maria Skopina (Russia), Sabina Aliyarova (Russia), Eduard Dimasov (Russia), Valerian Bakharev (Russia). Valerian Bakharev’s “I Ching Signs”, consisting of 64 hexagrammic paintings became the symbol of the exposition.
The unique feature of this exhibition was the fact that the exposition changed 6 times. The program included master-classes and workshops not only for adults but also for children.
National Union of Calligraphers
On May 14, 2008 the National Union of Calligraphers was established at the International Exhibition of Calligraphy. The handwritten charter with many famous Russian calligraphers’ signatures testifies to the Union’s birth. Under the Charter the Union aims at revival of the art of calligraphy in Russia, creating conditions for its development and admitting everybody who is willing to learn the beauty of writing. Petr Chobitko was elected Chairman of the Union with Alexey Shaburov as its President.
A most famous Union’s masterpiece is the Handwritten Constitution of the Russian Federation performed by Petr Chobitko in person. It is stored at Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy. Its toy-replicas were offered for sale as gifts.
Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy
On August 1, 2008 Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy was opened in Sokolniki Park with about 100 exhibits with Psalms, original works in various techniques, inkpots, brushes and pens made of bamboo, double reed, aquiline turkey and goose quills as a basis.
The Museum was closed from mid-August to December due to the work of the I International Exhibition of Calligraphy and then preparations to a new exposition called Mystery of the World Calligraphy. The Museum was opened for the second time on December 9, 2008.
Up to mid-August 2009 the Museum was working to the reserved guided tours only but for Sokolniki-operating festivals, master-classes and large exhibitions. Now the tours are temporally suspended due to the preparations to the II International Exhibition of Calligraphy.
Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy is an ICOM member.
The most famous exhibits in the Museum are:
- Handwritten Constitution of the Russian Federation
- Decalogue (Ten Commandments)
- World-famous mezuzah
- Official site of the project
- "St Petersburg Calligraphers Support MVK Initiative", Official site of the project
- "Meeting with Evgeny Dobrovinsky", Official site of the project
- "Meeting Calligraphers from St Petersburg", Official site of the project,
- "International exhibition of calligraphy on the first day was attended by over 500 people", Peterburg2.ru, 16.09.2008]
- Business program-2008[dead link]
- "As we write, and think", Information Portal "REN TV", 23.09.2008
- "UNESCO grants its aegis to the II International exhibition of calligraphy", Official site of the project, 04-06-2009
- "High estimate of the Global Association of the Exhibition Industry UFI", Official site of the project , 25-11-2009
- "We are the finalist!", Official site of the project, 23-03-2010
- "Museum of Calligraphy put the manuscript giant", NTV TV Channel , 14-09-2009
- “The visitors to the exhibition have a chance to see sacred texts of the Torah, holy words of the Quran carved in gold, Arabic script woven on carpets, Medieval Russian writing and other smart niceties”, NTV channel, October 14, 2009
- "Museum of Calligraphy put the manuscript giant", "Metro" Newspaper, 17-08-2009
- "King-mezuzah present museum of calligraphy in honor of its first anniversary," RIA Novosti, 10.08.2009,
- "The RUEF certificate was granted!", Official site of the project, 03-03-2010
- “The 4th International Exhibition of Calligraphy opened in Sokolniki”, Moskva 24 TV-channel, November 4, 2012.
- "Music creaking feathers", a portal of "Culture", 7-13.08.2009
- TV piece on the first handwritten Constitution of the Russian Federation, Project's site, December 9, 2008.