International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science
English language logo of the IFToMM
|Formation||September 29, 1969|
International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science (IFToMM) is an organization that supports international exchange of researchers and engineers from the wide range of discipline related to Mechanical Engineering.
To promote research and development in the field of Machines and Mechanisms by theoretical and experimental methods, along with their practical application.
It was September 29, 1969 when at the Second World Congress on Theory of Mechanisms and Machines which took place in Zakopane (Poland) two scientist: Ivan Artobolevski (USSR) and Erskine Crossley (USA) proposed to establish International Federation of scientists and engineers to facilitate world wide collaboration. Representatives of 13 countries signed foundation act and International Federation for the Theory of Machines (IFToMM) came to existence. In the year 1999 the Executive Council decided to recognize the changing role of the organization in international collaboration and approved new name - "The International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science". At the same time the abbreviation IFToMM become worldwide known, so Executive Council suggested to keep it (along with logo) as a short version of the organization name. 
- IFToMM General Assembly - every 4 years
- Executive Council Meeting - an annual meeting of the members of Executive Council
- IFToMM World Congress - organized once in 4 years
1st IFToMM World Congress, Varna, Bulgaria, September 27–30, 1965
2nd IFToMM World Congress, Zakopane, Poland, September 23–27, 1969
3rd IFToMM World Congress, Kupari, Yugoslavia, September 1971
4th IFToMM World Congress, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, September 8–12, 1975
5th IFToMM World Congress, Montreal, Canada. July 8–13, 1979
6th IFToMM World Congress, New Delhi, India, December 15–20, 1983
7th IFToMM World Congress, Seville, Spain, September 17–22, 1987
8th IFToMM World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, August 26–31, 1991
9th IFToMM World Congress, Milan, Italy, August 29 - September 5, 1995
10th IFToMM World Congress, Oulu, Finland, June 20–24, 1999
11th IFToMM World Congress, Tianjin, China, April 1–4, 2004 (postponed from August 18–21, 2003, due to SARS)
12th IFToMM World Congress, Besançon, France, June 17–20, 2007
13th IFToMM World Congress, Guanajuato, Mexico, June 19–25, 2011
Full list of Members available on the IFToMM web site
The organizational structure of IFToMM includes following bodies
The General Assembly is the supreme body of the Federation that determines policy. It is composed of the Chief Delegates of IFToMM Members and members of the Executive Council.
The Executive Council is responsible for managing the affairs of the Federation between the sessions of the General Assembly. The Executive Council includes the President, Vice-President, Secretary-General, Treasurer, and six ordinary members.
Commissions and Committees
There are four Permanent Commissions (PCs) and 14 Technical Committees (TCs) established under IFToMM supervision. Each Permanent Commission and Technical Committee is composed of a Chairperson, appointed by the Executive Council, and a Secretary and members, nominated by the Chairperson and appointed by the Executive Council. The general goals for the work of the Commissions and Committees are aimed at promoting their fields of interest by attracting researchers and practitioners, including young individuals. The four PCs are:
- Permanent Commission for Communications, Publications and Archiving
- Permanent Commission for Education
- Permanent Commission for the History of Mechanism and Machine Science
- Permanent Commission for the Standardization of Terminology
While the 14 TCs are:
- Technical Committee for Biomechanical Engineering
- Technical Committee for Computational Kinematics
- Technical Committee for Gearing and Transmissions
- Technical Committee for Linkages and Mechanical Controls
- Technical Committee for Micromachines
- Technical Committee for Multi-body Dynamics
- Technical Committee for Reliability
- Technical Committee for Robotics and Mechatronics
- Technical Committee for Rotordynamics
- Technical Committee for Sustainable Energy Systems
- Technical Committee for Transportation Machinery
- Technical Committee for Tribology
- Technical Committee for Vibrations
- "History of IFToMM". iftomm.org. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "2015 International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science (IFToMM) World Congress". The China Post. July 5, 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "NTU gears up for 2015 mechanism and machine congress". Taiwan Today. July 5, 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2012.