International Health Sciences University
|International Health Sciences University (IHSU)|
|Chancellor||Lady Justice Julia Sebutinde|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Scott Brown|
IHSU has its main campus at 4686 St. Barnabas Road, Namuwongo, a southeastern section of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. IHSU's campus is located on the top floor of the building that houses International Hospital Kampala. The road distance from the central business district of the city to Namuwongo is approximately 6 kilometres (3.7 mi). The coordinates of the university campus are:0°18'19.0"N, 32°36'38.0"E (Latitude:0.305278; Longitude:32.610556). The university's second campus is located in the upscale neighborhood of Lubowa, approximately 11 kilometres (6.8 mi), by road, south of Kampala's central business district, along the Kampala-Entebbe Road.
- International Hospital Kampala (IHK) - 200 beds
- International Medical Centres (IMC)
- International Air Ambulance (IAA)
- International Medical Foundation (IMF)
- International Health Sciences University (IHSU)
- International Diagnostic Center (IDC)
- International Medical Group Pharmaceuticals (IMGP)
The university incorporated the Uganda Health Management Institute (UHMI), and the International Hospital School of Nursing (IHSON) as the two founding faculties of the university. In December 2010, the university marked its maiden graduation ceremony, held at the university campus at Namuwongo, a suburb of Kampala. In March 2014, the university held its fourth graduation ceremony, where 229 students graduated, of whom 111 (48%) were male and 118 (52%) were female.
IHSU was established and admitted the first class of students in August 2008. The Chancellor of the University is Justice Julia Sebutinde of the International Criminal Court. The Vice Chancellor is Professor Scott Brown. The Chairman of the University Council is Dr. Moses Galukande. Dr. Ian Clarke, the founder of the university, was a member of the University Council until he relinquished that responsibility in 2010. The current members of the Council are listed at the university's webpage.
Schools and Institutes
- Institute of Health Policy and Management
- School of Nursing
- School of Allied Health Sciences
- School of Medicine (In development).
Courses can be pursued (a) full-time (b) part-time (c) on-campus or (d) via remote e-learning. The following academic courses are offered at the university:
- Postgraduate Degree Courses
- Undergraduate Degree Courses
- BBA Health Management
- BSc Public Health
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNSc)
- Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS)
- Diploma Courses
- Diploma Public Health
- Diploma Clinical Medicince Community Health
- Certificate Courses
- Ethics and Integrity in Healthcare
- Health Law and Regulations
- Health Communication: Theory and Practice
- Population, Poverty, and Health
- Health and Development
- Gender, Health, and Development
- Healthcare Management and Administration
- Refugee Health Management
- Strategic Planning and Management for Healthcare Organizations
- Quality Management in a Healthcare Setting
- Human Resource Management for Health
- Health Economics for Developing Countries
- Health Policy Analysis
- Healthcare Accounting
- Violet Nabatanzi, and Juliet Waiswa (19 February 2014). "Upgraded Health Workers Need Better Pay – Sebutinde". New Vision. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Google, . "Location of International Health Sciences University At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Lubowa With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Tajuba, Paul (22 December 2014). "Health Graduates Told To Fight Quacks". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- IMG, . "The Companies of the International Medical Group". International Medical Group (IMG). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Kevin, . (18 December 2010). "1st Graduation Ceremony At IHSU". SuubiTrust.Org.UK (Suubi Trust - UK). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Nangonzi, Yudaya (9 March 2014). "Government Should Sponsor Needy Health Students". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Anthony Bugembe, and Joel Ogwang (3 August 2008). "Health Sciences University Launched". New Vision. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- IHSU, . "Members of IHSU University Council". International Health Sciences University (IHSU). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- IHSU, . "The Schools And Institutes of IHSU". International Health Science University (IHSU). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- IHSU, . "Academic Courses Offered At IHSU". International Health Sciences University (IHSU). Retrieved 15 July 2014.