International Human Dimensions Programme
The International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change (IHDP) is a research programme that studies the human and societal aspects of the phenomenon of global change.
IHDP aims to frame, develop and integrate social science research on global change, and promote the application of its key findings. It strives to develop research approaches that put societies at the center of the debate, looking at current global environmental problems as social and societal challenges.
IHDP’s work brings together groups of multi-disciplinary and multi-national researchers to work on long-term collaborative science. It’s major role within the scientific field is providing leadership in the selection and development of themes for focused research and in stimulating scientific communities to coordinate their efforts on these themes within the framework of its projects.
IHDP research is conducted by its ten projects. Its six core projects, focus on how humans affect and are affected by climate change, with specific topics including human security, urbanization, industrial transformation and environmental governance as they relate to global change. Two of its six core projects are also core projects of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP) and focus specifically on coupled human-environment systems such as land use, and coastal zones. It also has four joint projects on the Earth's carbon cycle, water systems, human health and food systems with the other three global change research programmes (ESSP).
IHDP was initiated as the Human Dimensions Programme (HDP) in 1990 by the International Social Science Council (ISSC). It was established under its current name International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change by ISSC and International Council for Science (ICSU) in 1996. In 2006, the United Nations University joined ISSC and ICSU as an institutional sponsor of IHDP.
The IHDP Secretariat is located at the United Nations Campus in Bonn, Germany, and is hosted by the United Nations University.
Earth System Science Partnership (ESSP)
IHDP is a partner of the Earth System Science Partnership along with the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, the World Climate Research Programme, and DIVERSITAS an international programme for biodiversity research.
- Global Environmental Change and Human Security (GECHS)
- Urbanization and Global Environmental Change Project (UGEC)
- Industrial Transformation (IHDP-IT)
- Earth System Governance Project (ESG)
- Land-Ocean Interactions in the Coastal Zone (LOICZ)
- Global Land Project (GLP)
- Global Carbon Project (GCP)
- Global Water Systems Projects (GWSP)
- Global Environmental Change and Human Health (GECHH)
- Global Environmental Change and Food Systems (GECAFS)
- International Human Dimensions Programme (2007). "Strategic Plan 2007-2015". Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- International Human Dimensions Programme. "IHDP's Scientific Portfolio" (http://www.ihdp.unu.edu/article/IHDP_Scientific_Portfolio?menu=6) .
- ISSC Website - IHDP
- ESSP. "Earth System Science Partnership Webpage". Retrieved July 30, 2010.