International Islamic University, Islamabad
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
|International Islamic University, Islamabad
بين الاقوامی اسلامی يونيورسٹی اسلام آباد
|Chancellor||Asif Ali Zardari
President, Islamic Republic of Pakistan
|President||Professor Dr. Ahmad Yousif A. Al-Draiweesh|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Masoom Yasinzai|
|Campus||Old campus around Faisal Masjid and new campus, Sector H-10 in Islamabad|
|Colours||Green and white|
|Affiliations||Higher Education Commission, Pakistan Engineering Council.|
The foundation of the International Islamic University, Islamabad was laid on November 11, 1980. The raison d'être of this university was the desire to produce scholars and practitioners, imbued with Islamic learning, and capable of meeting the needs of the Muslim Ummah.
The university was reconstituted as the International Islamic University, Islamabad with the promulgation of Ordinance No.xxx of 1985. The university is ranked at No. 5 in Pakistan  and 3470 in the world.
The Islamic Research Institute and other units like Iqbal International Institute for Research & Dialogue, Dawah Academy, Shariah Academy and Institute of Professional Development are situated within the premises of the Faisal Mosque, spread over an area of 189,705 square meters. In conformance with Islamic precepts, the university provides academic services to men and women through separate campuses for each segment. These campuses, along with the central library, administrative wing and hostels, are located in sector H-10. A lot of Chinese, Indonesian, Somalian, Saudi Arabian and United Arab Emirates students got admission in this University every year.
It is completely distinct from the International Islamic University in Malaysia.
There are two campuses of university.
The university's old campus is located around the Faisal Mosque. It was designed by a Turkish architect and was donated to the university by late King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. The mosque is spread over an area of 190,000 square meters and can accommodate about 3,00,000 people. It comprises one of the biggest prayer halls of South Asia, with a capacity of over 95,000 praying persons.
The new campus is located in Sector H-10 of Islamabad, a sector given solely to the university. Construction of the first phase was completed in February 2003. A women's campus has been established. Central library construction was completed in 2006, along with the Lincoln corner.
The Government of Pakistan allotted Islamabad, Sector H-10, comprising 704 acres (2.85 km2) of land, to enable the university to shift to its own new premises.
The university comprises three male and three female Academic Blocks and eleven hostel blocks (seven for males and four for females).
As envisaged in the Master Plan of the new campus, the university will be completed in phases; Stage-I of Phase-I has reached culmination while stage-II is nearing completion. When constructed in its entirety, the university will accommodate 30,000 students (20,000 male and 10,000 female) in 22–25 faculties. In addition, there will be 57 hostel blocks for male students and 28 for female and partial accommodation for teaching/research and administrative staff.
There is to be a central mosque and a central library. Provision has been made for a commercial center and shops for the resident staff and the students.
The university consists of the following faculties:
- Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences
- Department of Computer Sciences & Software Engineering (NCEAC accredited)
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- Department of Electronic Engineering (PEC accredited)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (PEC recognized)
- Faculty of Arabic Language and Islamic Civilization
- Faculty of Languages, Literature and Humanities
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Technology Management
- Faculty of Shariah and Law
- Department of Law
- Department of Shariah
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Education
- Politics and International Relations
- Department of Psychology
- Department of History & Pakistan Studies
- Department of Islamic Arts and Architecture
- Department of Media & Communications
- Department of Sociology
- Faculty of Islamic Studies (Usuluddin)
- Tafseer & Quranic Sciences
- Department of Hadith & its Sciences
- Department of Comparative Religions
- Department of Dawah & Islamic Culture
- Department of Aqeedah & Philosophy
- Department of Seerah & Islamic History
- Islamic Research Institute
- Iqbal International Institute for Research & Dialogue
- International Institute of Islamic Economics
- Institute of Professional Studies
- Dawah Academy
- Shari'ah Academy
- Iqra College For Technical Education
- International Islamic University Schools
- English Language Centre
The Central Library one of the biggest libraries in Asia of Islamic learning and research materials. The library contains a collection of books, journals, research projects and international magazines.
Lincoln Corner is situated in the library. It contains material on American History. The Lincoln Corner has multimedia projectors, DVD players, and broadband internet.
Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah Library
The International Institute of Islamic Economics provides facilities for research on Islamic economics. It contains rare books on Islamic law relating to economics and the Islamic way of running government.
Islamic Research Institute library is the source of knowledge regarding Islamic research.
For science and technology the library contains 25,000 books. 15 periodicals are subscribed, and ten newspapers are purchased. The library can seat 50 users. The library has 550 research reports/theses.
Dawah Academy library
Dawah library supports the research, training and publication programmes of Dawah Academy. More than 22,000 books are available.
Each department of the university has its own small library.
The Islamic University has academic collaboration with the following universities:
- Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
- Ummul Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
- Islamic University of Medina, Medina, Saudi Arabia
- Imam Muhammad Bin Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Ningxia University, People's Republic of China
A number of teachers who specialize in Shariah, Usul al Din wa Da’wah, Arabic Language and other subjects are provided on loan by these universities.
- Pro Chancellor: Professor Dr. Suliman A. Aba Al-Khail.
- Rector: Prof. Dr. Masoom Yasinzai.
- President: Dr. Ahmad Yousif A. Al-Draiweesh.
- Vice-president: Prof. Dr. Mumtaz Ahmad(Academics) , Mr. Professor Dr. Sahibzada Sajid-ur-Rehman(Administration, Finance & Planning).
- Dean Faculty of Arabic: Dr. Mahmood Hassan Makhlof.
- Dean Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences: Dr. Muhammad Irfan.
- Dean Faculty of Engineering and Technology: Dr. Ghulam Yasin Chohan.
- Director-General of the Institute of Islamic Economics: Dr. Asad Zaman.
- Dean of the Faculty of Islamic Studies: Dr. Zafrullah Baig.
- Dean Faculty of Languages & Literature: Dr. Amjad Rasheed.
- Faculty of Management Sciences: Dr. Bashir Ahmad is the Dean.
- Dean Faculty of Shariah & Law: Dr. Zia ul Haq.
- Dean Faculty of Social Sciences: Dr. Nabi Bux Jumani.
- Director of Female Campus: Dr. Zaitoon Baigum.
- Director Academics, (Registrar): Ms. Shagufta Haroon.
Nelson Mandela receive honorary PhD degree from International Islamic University,Islamabad.
Prof.Dr.Sayyed Tahir Professor of Islamic Economics at International Islamic University,Malaysia.
Prof.Dr.Nasim Shah Shirazi former Dean IIIE,IIUI.Faculty member IRTI Islamic Development Bank,Jaddah.
- Academic Staff Welfare Association
- Officer Welfare Association
- University Staff Welfare Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2009)|
- Official website
- Dailytimes :IIUI holds a massive Book Fair
- PEC Accreditation to Degree of Electronics Engineering
- Conference on Applied Business Research IIUI " Transforming Knowledge"
- Alfalah hostel Details