International Journal of Baudrillard Studies
|International Journal of Baudrillard Studies|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||IJBS|
|Discipline||Philosophy, Critical Theory|
|Edited by||Gerry Coulter|
|Publisher||Bishops University (Canada)|
The International Journal of Baudrillard Studies (IJBS) is an international, peer-reviewed, open access, non-profit, transdisciplinary publication dedicated to engaging the thought and writing of Jean Baudrillard. The journal is edited by Gerry Coulter.
IJBS was born out of the need for a scholarly venture on Baudrillard that would "be not only the best thing on the web about Baudrillard, but (would) drive a wedge into the “pay-per use” journal industry (Ruiz:2005). The journal is part of a worldwide academic trend in the humanities and other disciplines to move away from traditional publishing, which restricts access to knowledge only amongst those who can afford to pay. The Open Humanities Press has called it a "crisis in scholarly publishing in the humanities".
The journal takes a Baudrillardean approach by sacrificing system for strategy, and keeping theory as a challenge to the real to expose itself as illusion. Baudrillard's works are often misrepresented by a highly mass mediated and consumerist world, making them popular and fashionable, but not taken seriously. Thus, IJBS makes use of the system it attempts to challenge to proliferate. Borrowing from Rex Butler's view of the philosopher, IJBS does not fall into the trap of following a doctrine but make use of the internet to transform, translate, seduce, and double Baudrillard.
- http://www.ubishops.ca/academic-programs/social-sciences/sociology/faculty.html Gerry Coulter's staff page at Bishops University]
- Ruiz III, Nicholas (2005) 'An Interview with Gerry Coulter' Kritikos, Volume 2, September
- See the About page at Open Humanities Press
- Baudrillard, Jean (2000) The Vital Illusion. New York: Columbia University Press
- Butler, Rex, (1999) Jean Baudrillard. The Defence of the Real London: Sage p171.
- Interview with Paul Taylor in Kritikos, Intertheroy Press http://intertheory.org/taylorandruiz.htm
- Journal of Electronic Publishing, 2010, http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jep/3336451.0013.104?rgn=main;view=fulltext