International Kickboxing Federation
IKF sanctions both professional and amateur kickboxing around the world in six different rule styles:
- American kickboxing: above the waist
- International ruleset: leg kick
- Muay Thai: allowing knees and elbows
- Sanshou: all of the above along with Throws
- Extreme Gladiators (or XG Kickboxing): all of the above along with throws & MMA gloves
- Point Kickboxing: semi-contact
The IKF has both male and female titles (State, Regional, National, Continental, Intercontinental and World) and both Pro and Amateur rankings.
The IKF was established in July 1992 by Steve Fossum and Dan Stell based on their knowledge and experience as former kickboxers, trainers and event promoters.
In July, of 1996, Mr. Stell parted ways with the IKF as Vice President to pursue other desires. In December 1996, the IKF launched a website with news updates for various events, worldwide rankings, rules and regulations.
In 1998, the IKF expanded into the United Kingdom through former European Director Alby Bimpson. With his associates, Jacqui Thompson and Mick Fowles, the IKF began sanctioning events in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and other European countries. Bimpson and Fowles played important role in sanctioning IKF events throughout Europe in unison with the IKF World Headquarters in California, USA.
In 2007, Neil Holden took the position of Director for IKF Europe for a while. Replacing Holden was Carl Sams and Colin Payne, both previously in charge of IKF Full Contact activity in the United Kingdom. Both are part of the IKF Europe Team. They are currently fosusing on growth and activity in the United Kingdom as Co-Directors for IKF Europe under all IKF rule styles and they continue this position today.
The IKF has developed into a global organization under the direction of Steve Fossum and others associated with the IKF World Team. Along with this growth was the creation of the IKF Amateur Tournaments. The IKF created the first amateur kickboxing tournament in the United States in 1999, the IKF USA National Championships. The annual event grew to a North American Championships in 2004 and eventually into the IKF World Classic in 2006. Today the IKF World Classic is one of the largest all AMATEUR Muay Thai and Kickboxing Championship tournaments in the world.
Fossum is also the President of the first ever Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) sanctioning body, International Sport Combat Federation (ISCF) and is the President and CEO of The International Fight Sports (IFS) which oversees several Fight Sport Companies who have a mutual goal of fostering national and international Professional and Amateur fight sport competition through the sanctioning of Fight Sports.
IKF Rules & Regulations cover all medical requirements from the fighter to the ringside medical staff. The IKF requires a doctor and at least two paramedics equipped with resuscitation equipment to be on site for all sanctioned events.
Weight Classes (Adult Men)
- Super heavyweight : above 235 lb (above 106.8 kg)
- Heavyweight : 215.1 - 235 lb (97.8 - 106.8 kg)
- Super cruiserweight : 195.1 - 215 lb (88.7 - 97.7 kg)
- Cruiserweight : 186.1 - 195 lb (84.6 - 88.6 kg)
- Light cruiserweight : 179.1 - 186 lb (81.5 - 84.5 kg)
- Light Heavyweight : 172.1 - 179 lb (78.3 - 81.4 kg)
- Super middleweight : 165.1 - 172 lb (75.1 - 78.2 kg)
- Middleweight : 159.1 - 165 lb (72.4 - 75 kg)
- Light middleweight : 153.1 - 159 lb (69.6 - 72.3 kg)
- Super welterweight : 147.1 - 153 lb (66.9 - 69.5 kg)
- Welterweight : 142.1 - 147 lb (64.59 - 66.8 kg)
- Light welterweight : 137.1 - 142 lb (62.31 - 64.54 kg)
- Super lightweight : 132.1 - 137 lb (60.04 - 62.27 kg)
- Lightweight : 127.1 - 132 lb (57.77 - 60 kg)
- Featherweight : 122.1 - 127 lb (55.50 - 57.72 kg)
- Bantamweight : 117.1 - 122 lb (53.22 - 55.45 kg)
- Flyweight : 112.1 - 117 lb (50.95 - 53.18 kg)
- Atomweight : 108.1 - 112 lb (49.13 - 50.90 kg)
- Strawweight : below 108.1 lb (below 49.09 kg)
- Young, Robert (2003). "Kickboxing Federation Strives to Spread the Sport". Black Belt (magazine) (Active Interest Media, Inc.) 41 (3): 113–116. ISSN 02773066.
- Porter, Warren J. (2011). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, ed. Jones & Bartlett Publishers. p. 162. ISBN 978-1-4496-1111-8. Missing or empty
- The International Kickboxing Federation Official website
- IKF Pro & Amateur World Rankings
- Past IKF Amateur Champions
- Past IKF Pro Champions
- The International Kickboxing Federation Rules & Regulations Page
- The IKF World Classic Official website
- The IKF Point Kickboxing Official website