International Department of the Communist Party of China
The International Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (IDCPC, also known as the International Department) (Chinese: 中国共产党中央对外联络部; pinyin: Zhōngguó Gòngchǎndǎng Zhōngyāng Duìwàiliánluòbù) is an agency under the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China in charge of conducting its foreign relations with other political parties.
The department was established in 1951, and was tasked with overseeing relations with foreign communist parties, especially the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the socialist bloc. The ILD's mandate became more important following the Sino-Soviet split, as the party began more aggressively seeking supporters for its position among communist parties operating overseas. Afterwards it maintained ties between the CPC and the Maoist parties around the world, often attempting to foment revolution abroad by funneling money and resources to left-wing and rebel groups. From 1962 through the first half Cultural Revolution, foreign relations were mainly conducted by Kang Sheng on behalf of the Politburo Standing Committee.
In the 1980s under Deng Xiaoping, the ILD expanded its mission to include cultivating relations with non-communist parties, and shed its overtly revolutionary objectives. In this era, the department sought to forge ties with "any foreign political party that was willing to meet with it." With the end of the Cold War and collapse of the Soviet Union, the ILD's expanded mission of engaging with parties across the political spectrum became more important.
List of Heads of the Department
- Wang Jiaxiang (January 1951–March 1966)
- Liu Ningyi (June 1966–March 1968)
- Geng Biao (January 1971–January 1979)
- Ji Pengfei (January 1979–April 1982)
- Qiao Shi (April 1982–June 1983)
- Qian Liren (July 1983–December 1985)
- Zhu Liang (December 1985–March 1993)
- Li Shuzheng (March 1993–August 1997)
- Dai Bingguo (August 1997–April 2003)
- Wang Jiarui (April 2003–present)
- Sutter, Robert (2011). Historical Dictionary of Chinese Foreign Policy. Plymouth, United Kingdom: Rowman and Littlefield Publishing Group. p. 128. ISBN 978-0-8108-6860-1.
- Brady, Anne-Marie (2003). Making the Foreign Serve China: Managing foreigners in the People's Republic. Oxford, UK: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. ISBN 978-0-7425-1862-9.
- Directorate of Intelligence, Central Intelligence Agency (December 1971). "Intelligence Report: The International Liaison Department of the Chinese Communist Party" (PDF). Retrieved May 28, 2012.