International Mathematics and Design Association
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2008)|
The International Mathematics & Design Association (M&D) was founded on August 3, 1998, Buenos Aires, Argentina, as a non-profitable civil society registered at the Argentine General Justice Inspection. Its president is Dr. Vera W. de Spinadel. It has associates from nine countries of the world. The Association considers three types of associates:
- Active associates: professionals of well reputed competence on the subject considered by the Association;
- Adherent associates: students of some related discipline;
- Institutional associates: research groups, university departments, different kinds of studios.
Their main scopes are the following:
- To develop the sense of academic identity of the professionals and researchers that work in the field of the relationship between Mathematics & Design, where the word Design is used in its broadest sense, that is, a Design is a project resource that constitutes a basic element in the interdisciplinary communication among human beings, let it be of architectonic, graphical, visual or sounding type, as well as any other simple or combined type.
- To stimulate the interchange, diffusion and promotion of the mathematical and informatics applications to Design.
- To publish a Journal of Mathematics & Design which articles have to be accepted by a well-known International Scientific Committee. The main areas of interest of this Journal are: Computer Design, Computational Geometry, Mathematical Modeling, Visualization and System Media Design, ¨Projects and Communication Design, Art and Mathematics.
- To organize international scientific conferences of the highest academic level every three years.
- There have been held five International Conferences, bringing together mathematicians, engineers, architects, designers and scientists of different areas of knowledge interested in the interaction between Mathematics & Design. The role of mathematics as a designing tool is of great interest for many professionals and institutions not only in the architectural or engineering fields but in many others such as textile, jeweller, sound and music, decoration and art. There is a considerable amount of expertise about this subject, which is important to share among those working in the different fields.
- The First International Conference on Mathematics & Design, M&D-95, was organized by the Center of Mathematics & Design MAyDI, whose Director is Dra. Vera W. de Spinadel, from the Faculty of Architecture, Design and Urban Planning (FADU) of the University of Buenos Aires (UBA), Argentina. It was held at FADU, UBA on October 23–27, 1995. The Proceedings were published by the Secretary of University Extension of FADU, UBA ISBN 950-29-0363-3.
- The Second International Conference on Mathematics & Design, M&D-98, was co-organized by the Department of Applied Mathematics from the Faculty of Architecture, University of the Basque Country, San Sebastian, Spain and the Center of Mathematics & Design MAyDI. It was held at San Sebastian and Bilbao on June 1–4, 1998. The Proceedings of this conference were edited by Dr. Javier Barrallo Calonge and printed by the University of the Basque Country, ISBN 84-600-9459-6.
- The Third International Conference on Mathematics & Design, M&D-2001, was co-organized by the School of Architecture & Building and the School of Computing & Mathematics, Deakin University, Geelong, Australia and the International Mathematics & Design Association M&D, directed by Dra. Vera W. de Spinadel, July 3–5, 2001. The Proceedings were edited by Professor Mark Burry, Sambit Datta, Dr. Anthony Dawson and Dr. John Rollo, ISBN 0-7300-2526-8.
- The Fourth International Conference on Mathematics & Design, M&D-2004, was held in Mar del Plata, Argentina, June 7–12, 2004. It was co-organized by the International Mathematics & Design Association M&D and the Universidad Tecnológica Nacional (UTN). The Proceedings were edited by Dra. Vera W. de Spinadel, Eng. Rosa Enrich and Designer Leonardo P. Diez. The Proceedings were published as a Special Edition of the Journal of Mathematics & Design, volume 4, No. 1, ISBN 950-29-0823-6.
- The Fifth International Conference on Mathematics & Design, M&D-2007, was held in the University of Blumenau (FURB), SC, Brazil, July 1–4, 2007. It was co-organized by the International Mathematics & Design Association M&D and the Universidade Regional de Blumenau. The Proceedings were edited as a CD, ISBN 978-85-7114-175-4 and there is in press a paper edition that will appear at the end of November 2007.