International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (January 2011)|
The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) is a non-profit medical association of over 800 hair restoration doctors . ISHRS members elected Dr. Carlos J. Puig as their President for 2013. It was founded in 1993 as a voluntary organization to advance the art and science of hair restoration. The ISHRS provides continuing medical education to licensed, experienced physicians specializing in hair loss and restoration surgery and encourages the free interchange of ideas, knowledge and experience among its members. It also serves as a resource for the public on the latest medical and surgical hair restoration treatments for hair loss.
To achieve its educational goals, the ISHRS publishes the bimonthly journal, the "Hair Transplant Forum International", conducts Annual Scientific Meetings in cities around the world, and supports regional workshops and live surgery workshops in various locations at various times throughout the year. The ISHRS offers research grants to its members to promote research into hair loss, or medical or surgical hair restoration. The ISHRS has also developed and published a Core Curriculum for Hair Restoration Surgery.
Patient education is provided through brochures in different languages and through numerous articles, patient photos, and patient stories on the ISHRS web-site, www.ishrs.org. Media members, who need an authoritative source about hair restoration, also have their own section on the ISHRS web-site.
The ISHRS has developed and managed "Operation Restore" which approves and finances pro bono hair restoration for those patients in need who have suffered hair loss because of disease or trauma. This program matches prospective hair loss patients with volunteer ISHRS physicians to obtain hair restoration services to help restore the physical and emotional wellness of the individual. The foundation will provide financial, travel, lodging, and medical assistance to eligible patients in need.
The purpose of the ISHRS is education and it does not offer certification. The American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) is an independent but cooperative voluntary organization that offers certification to hair restoration surgeons.
- "International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Responds to Proposed Vanity Tax on Cosmetic Surgery". reuters.com. International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS). Jul 31, 2009. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "New International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Survey Finds the Number of Hair Restoration Patients Worldwide". reuters.com. International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS). June 24, 2009. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Hosts 16th Annual Scientific Meeting in Montreal, September 3-7, 2008". CNW Group Ltd. August 14, 2008. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Core Curriculum for Hair Restoration Surgery, Recommended by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) Dermatologic Surgery. Volume 32, Issue 1, Date: January 2006, Pages: 86-90
- Competencies for Hair Restoration Surgeons Recommended by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Dermatologic Surgery. Volume 35, Issue 3, Date: March 2009, Pages: 425-428
- http://www.ishrs.org/ishrs-media-center.htm title: ISHRS Media Center Home
- http://www.ishrs.org/ishrs-pro-bono.htm title: ISHRS Pro Bono Hair Restoration Foundation