African-led International Support Mission to Mali
The African-led International Support Mission to Mali (AFISMA) is an Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) organized military mission sent to support the government of ECOWAS member nation Mali against Islamist rebels in the Northern Mali conflict. The mission was authorized with UN Security Council Resolution 2085, passed on 20 December 2012, which "authorizes the deployment of an African-led International Support Mission in Mali (AFISMA) for an initial period of one year."
Initially, the mission was to begin in September 2013, but after an unexpected advance by the rebel forces in early January 2013 and the subsequent French intervention, ECOWAS decided to immediately deploy the AFISMA forces. On 17 January, Nigeria began deploying air and ground forces to Mali. The Nigerian deployment was followed by the arrival of a 160-man contingent from Burkina Faso the following week. The first commander of AFISMA is Nigerian Major General Abdulkadir Shehu.
Meanwhile, the heads of state and government of ECOWAS have endorsed Major General Shehu of Nigeria as Force Commander and Brigadier General Yaye Garba of Niger as Deputy Force Commander.
The following forces have been committed to AFISMA:
||Reportedly includes elements of 333 Battalion.|
||'Maintenance battalion' (Xinhua News Agency)|
- Togo: One hundred Togolese soldiers arrived in Mali’s capital Bamako on the 18 January.
- Senegal: Sixty Senegalese troops were deployed from Dakar to Bamako on 20 January.
- Nigeria: On 19 January, two Nigerian Air Force Alpha Jets were deployed from Abuja to Niamey, Niger, where they will be based. In addition, the Nigerian Air Force began deploying Mi-35 helicopters.
- Chad: 1,800 Chadian troops secured and started patrolling Kidal in early February.
- http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2012/sc10870.doc.htm UN-Resolution 2085 (2012)
- "Dancing Nigerian troops prepare for Mali combat". BBC. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Nigeria: Air Force Sends War Planes to Mali Thursday". This Day. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Burkinabe troops join French-led push against Mali rebels". Reuters. 24 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Mali conflict: West African troops to arrive 'in days'". BBC News. 15 January 2013.
- Mali conflict: 'Many die' in Ifoghas mountain battle
- "Gambia: Britain to Train Gambian Soldiers Bound for Mali Mission". The Point. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Liberia: Ellen - Liberia Will Send Troops to Mali for Peace Mission". Heritage. 21 January 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Mali army retakes key town from rebels". Al Jazeera English. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- , January 18, 2013
- "Senegal starts to send troops to Mali". Xinhua. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Nigeria: Air Force Deploys Two Alpha Jets to Mali". This Day. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Chad foreign minister warns against early Mali exit". Huffington Post. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- War in Mali: the death of a fourth soldier Chad after the attack of Kidal
- Two Killed, Four Injured In Bomb Attacks On Mali-bound Nigerian Troops At Okene
- Guerre au Mali : Au moins 1 mort dans les rangs des Togolais