International Test of English Proficiency
The International Test of English Proficiency or iTEP is a language assessment tool that measures the English skills of non-native English speakers. The test is supported by more than 600 institutions  including the California State University system. The test is available in more than 40 countries, and is also used by businesses, and governments such as Saudi Arabia, Colombia, and Mexico for large-scale initiatives.
iTEP is a trademark of Boston Educational Services, which was co-founded in 2002 by former ELS Language Centers President Perry Akins and business partner Sharif Ossayran. The test was first launched in 2008.
iTEP Core is an Internet-based exam that lasts 50 minutes and tests reading, grammar and listening. The iTEP Plus series lasts 90 minutes and also tests writing and speaking, requiring the test taker to submit writing and speaking samples. iTEP results are available instantly and iTEP Plus results are graded in 5 business days. The test costs $99USD and can be scheduled within 3 days, making it one of the most flexible and least expensive options among its competitors, which include TOEFL and IELTS.
There are three versions of iTEP:
iTEP Academic is used by colleges, universities, and intensive English programs.
iTEP Business measures the English skills needed for a work environment. It is used by companies to screen new hires, make decisions about promotions and assignments, and evaluate English training programs.
iTEP SLATE evaluates high school, secondary school, and middle school students, and is used by boarding schools and academies. Between June 2012 and June 2013, the number of US institutions recognizing this test quadrupled. This growth is largely due to the retirement of ETS's SLEP exam and the limited availability of their TOEFL Junior test.
iTEP scores individuals on a scale of 1-6 (at 0.5 intervals) for each section of the test as well as an overall score. Each level translates to an equivalent range of scores on other language proficiency exams.
- "Gobierno entregará certificados gratuitos de inglés a 10 mil personas". El Tiempo. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Mandatory Catalog Copy". California State University. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Cal Poly English Language Institute". California State Polytechnic University. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Programs & Activities / Current". United States-Mexico Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "How To Read LIQAAT Assessment Report". Government of Saudi Arabia. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "iTEP SLATE". Trademarkia. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "International Test of English Proficiency ( iTEP)". Cleveland State University. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Ashwill, Mark A. "iTEP Arrives in Vietnam!". International Educator. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Thomas, Daniel. "iTEP SLATE exam climbs 300%, USA". Professionals in International Education. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Score Equivalencies: iTEP, TOEFL, IELTS". FHI 360. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
(11) iTEP arrives in Pakistan visit www.edustarpk.com