International Union of Tenants
The International Union of Tenants (IUT) is a Non Governmental Organisation, founded in 1926 in Zürich, Switzerland, with the purpose of safeguarding the interests of tenants, and promotion of affordable healthy housing throughout the world. IUT is a non-party political organisation, working along democratic lines.
Headquarter of IUT is in Stockholm, Sweden.
As of May 2013, IUT has 61 member associations in 45 countries. IUT has consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council and the Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) - Committee on Human Settlements and participatory status with the Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France.
Sven Bergenstråhle, Sweden, is President since 2010. Vice presidents are Jan Laurier, the Netherlands and Richard Hewgill, England. Secretary General is Magnus Hammar.
IUT runs a liaison office to the European Union, in Brussels. Barbra Steenbergen is head of IUTs office in Brussels.
The activities of IUT include:
- Information through Internet.
- The Global Tenant quarterly printed magazine, in English, and distributed digitally also in French and Russian. Available via www.iut.nu
- Seminars, local activities in particular in Central and East Europe, CEE region .
- Co-ordinate activities for the International Tenants´ Day / UN World Habitat Day, first Monday in October.
- EU: Lobbying and disseminating information through IUT’s office in Brussels, and through the European Housing Forum network, EHF, also in Brussels.
- Partnership with UN agencies, such as Economic Commission for Europe in Geneva, and UN Habitat UN Human Settlements Programme, in Nairobi.