International University College of Turin
|International University College of Turin|
|Location||Turin, Piedmont, Italy|
The International University College of Turin, or IUC Turin, is a tertiary educational institution founded in 2006 by the Compagnia di San Paolo and Consiglio Nazionale del Notariato. Teaching at IUC focuses on the interdisciplinary and critical study of law, economics and finance. The IUC is located in the center of the city of Turin, Italy.
Purpose and programme
The reported aim of the IUC is to further the study of global capitalism and the preparation of an international class of lawyers and finance experts, with a critical policy orientation. The IUC offers a two-year Master of Science in Comparative Law, Economics and Finance (MSc CLEF) degree. Starting in academic year 2010-2011, the IUC also offers a competitive one-year LL.M. degree.
The IUC is a leading center for the interdisciplinary and critical study of law, economics and finance. Teachers and students from all over the world (over 80% of them are non-European) gather in Turin to examine the phenomenon of globalization with a particular attention to the conception of achievable long-period policies to govern its effects. To do so, research at the IUC explores the great variety of financial and institutional settings across the world in their analogies and differences to obtain a more realistic and scientific grasp on current global transformations. A successful example of this approach is the IUC Report "At the End of the End of History. Global Legal Standards: Part of the Solution or Part of the Problem?", which was presented at the Seminar "Global Standards in the 21st Century" organized by the G-8 Presidency in Rome in May 2009. The Report calls for a broader understanding of markets and the structural impact of legal institutions on their unfolding needs, and issues a challenge to the biases produced by mainstream theory, while proposing innovative solutions for the harms caused by the recent financial and economic crisis.
Faculty and academic partnership
Associate faculty collaborators include Guido Calabresi (former Dean of the Yale Law School), Duncan Kennedy (Harvard Law School), and Gustavo Zagrebelsky (Emeritus President of the Constitutional Court of Italy, currently professor at the University of Torino). Additionally, Gunther Teubner (Goethe University Frankfurt) holds a Jean Monnet "ad personam" chair at the International University College of Turin since 2011. Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen sits in the IUC advisory board. The IUC Academic Coordinator is Ugo Mattei, full Professor at the universities of California Hastings and Turin.
IUC Turin has partnerships, for student and academic exchanges, with the following universities:
- University of Illinois
- University of Copenhagen
- University of Fribourg
- Universidad Pompeu Fabra
- UC Hastings College of the Law
- Lanzhou University
- Universidad de Chile
- Universidad Torcuato di Tella
- Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
- LUISS - Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali Guido Carli
- Université de Bamako, Mali
- National Law School of India University
- Universidad San Francisco Xavier de Chuquisaca (Sucre, Bolivia)
- Istituto Italiano di Scienze Umane (Florence and Naples)
- University of Eastern Piedmont "Amedeo Avogadro", Faculty of Law
- School of Law, Herzliya (Israel)
- IHEJ: Institut des Hautes Etudes sur la Justice
- Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahía Blanca (Argentina)
- CIME: Center for International Media Ethics
Campus and Housing
The IUC Torino campus is located in the center of Torino, adjacent to the Torino Porta Nuova railway station, the Torino Metro, and Piazza Carlo Felice (one of the central squares of Torino). Housing for the students is provided in the Lingotto district of Turin. As of March 6, 2011, transportation to the main campus is available via the metro from the Lingotto metro station.
Notes and references
- "IUC Independent Policy Report: At the End of the End of History - Global Legal Standards: Part of the Solution or Part of the Problem?", Global Jurist, vol. 9, iss. 3 (June 2009).
- IUC Turin: MSc CLEF, www.iuctorino.it (September 2009).
- "A Torino il primo Master of Science in Comparative Law, Economics and Finance (MSc CLEF)", Department of Science and Innovation of the Piedmont Region, News Archive (April 2008).
- IUC Turin: Faculty List, www.iuctorino.it (September 2009).
- http://www.iucsa.org/index.html IUC Student Association Website
- IUC Turin - Official Website
- "Common Core of European Private Law" website
- IUC Student Association website