International Year of Biodiversity
||The neutrality of the style of writing in this article is questioned. (January 2010)|
The International Year of Biodiversity (IYB) was a year-long celebration of biological diversity and its value for life on Earth, taking place around the world in 2010. Coinciding with the date of the 2010 Biodiversity Target, the year was declared by the 61st session of the United Nations General Assembly in 2006.
The International Year of Biodiversity was meant to help raise awareness of the importance of biodiversity through activities and events in many countries. This means, as well, to influence decision makers, and "to elevate biological diversity nearer to the top of the political agenda".
The United Nations General Assembly declared 2010 as the International Year of Biodiversity (Resolution 61/203). This year coincided with the 2010 Biodiversity Target adopted by the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity and by Heads of State and government at the World Summit for Sustainable Development in Johannesburg in 2002.
Established at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992, the Convention on Biological Diversity is an international treaty for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and the equitable sharing of the multiple benefits of biodiversity. The CBD has near-universal participation, with 193 Parties.
Main goals in UN view
The main goals of the International Year of Biodiversity were to:
- Enhance public awareness of the importance of conserving biodiversity and of the underlying threats to biodiversity
- Raise awareness of the accomplishments to save biodiversity that have already been realized by communities and governments
- Promote innovative solutions to reduce the threats to biodiversity
- Encourage individuals, organizations and governments to take immediate steps to halt biodiversity loss
- Start dialog between stakeholders for the steps to be taken in the post-2010 period.
- Biodiversity is life.
- Biodiversity is our life.
- United Nations Decade on Biodiversity (2011-2020)
- International Year of Forests (2011)
- Convention on Biological Diversity COP10 Nagoya Protocol (2010)
- 2010 in science
- Johns, David (2009). The International Year of Biodiversity–From Talk to Action. Conservation Biology 24 (1): 338–340.
- Marton-Lefèvre, Julia (2010). Biodiversity is our life. Science 313: 1179. abstract
The information above, for the most part, is based on the official websites of the Convention on Biological Diversity and of the International Year of Biodiversity.
- International Year of Biodiversity
- Convention on Biological Diversity
- International Year of Biodiversity in the UK IYB-UK
- Internet sources for the International Year of Biodiversity (by vifabio)
- International Year of Biodiversity 2010: Heading Towards Failure?