International demonstrations and protests relating to the Syrian Civil War
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (February 2014)|
International demonstrations and protests relating to the Syrian civil war have taken place outside Syria during the war.
- Canada: On 30, March, protesters in support of the Syrian government faced off against anti government protesters in downtown Montreal.
- Australia: On 3 April, in Sydney and Melbourne there were large demonstrations in support for Bashar Al-Assad.
- 11 June:
- Canada: Some 300 demonstrators called for Bashar al-Assad to step down in downtown Montreal.
- United Kingdom: In London, over 100 gathered in a "peaceful but noisy protest" outside the Syrian embassy. Subsequently, some of the protesters and their families in Syria were intimidated by the Syrian authorities for taking part.
- United Kingdom: On 28 June, in London, around 30 Syrians gathered outside Downing Street.
- France: On 3 September, in Paris, a rally was held demanding an end to the "crimes and massacres" of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his government.
- United Kingdom: On 4 October, in London, a demonstration co-ordinated by Amnesty International against the Syrian regime, around 40 Syrians from all over the UK held placards outside the Syrian embassy.
- United Kingdom: On 29 October, in London, hundreds rallied outside the embassy chanting "Free, Free, Syria!" Campaigners put their numbers at over 900. The was also a small counter-protest in support of Assad. The protest came a day after reports claims security forces killed about 40 people in Syria.
- 30 October
- Australia: On 11 December, in Sydney, a demonstration took place in protest of foreign meddling in Syrian affairs. Protesters expressed solidarity with the Syrian government in the face of threats of Western intervention, and condemned the Arab League's position.
- United Kingdom: On 20 December, in London, around 50 Syrians protest outside the embassy.
- 4 February
- Egypt: In Cairo, around 50 protesters ransacked the Syrian embassy, setting the ground floor on fire.
- Germany: In Berlin, around 20 people vandalized offices inside the Syrian embassy.
- United Kingdom: In London, 150 gathered outside the Syrian embassy at 2am. after reports that more than 200 people had been killed in by government forces in Homs. Some protesters were arrested for disorder. Later in the day, another crowd of around 300 clashed with police outside the embassy.
- Australia: On 5 February, Syria's embassy in Canberra was ransacked[by whom?] and later in the day a protest of around 100 in Sydney's Hyde Park condemned Russia and China for vetoing a UN resolution that condemned the violence in Syria.
- Spain: On 11 February, in Barcelona, around 50 Syrian citizens protested against the regime and Russia's veto of at the UN.
- USA: On 17 February, in New Haven, Connecticut, around 150 members of the Syrian community protested against the Syrian government.
- United Kingdom: On 18 February, in London, thousands marched down Edgware Road to the Syrian embassy in an event organised by Hizb-ut Tahrir. Some placards read: "Bashar al-Assad - the killer of Muslims."
- Hīt, Iraq: 4,000 protested against President Bashar Assad, many shouting slogans calling him a "coward" and "the enemy of God."
- Tirana, Albania: Hundreds of young Albanian marched on 8 June in Skanderbeg Square against the violence exercised by the Syrian army.
- United Kingdom: On 28 August, several hundred people, ranging from teenagers to the elderly, protested in London against British military involvement in Syria as it echoed the build up of the Iraq War. Protesters held placards bearing slogans such as "Hands off Syria" and "Cut war, not welfare".
- 31 August:
- USA: Hundreds of people protested at New York's Times Square over U.S. plans to attack Syria which the White House accuses of launching a deadly chemical attack.
- Australia: Hundreds of people protested in Australia on Saturday against a possible US military strike on Syria.
- Japan, Pakistan, Canada: Protesters took to the streets demanding USA not to strike Syria.
- 1 September
- USA: Demonstrators rally in several cities opposing plans to launch military strikes over alleged deadly gas attack, believing the result will end up like the Iraq war.
- UK: Thousands of people have protested in central London against possible US strikes on Syria.
- France: In Paris, Protesters marched through the city condemning U.S. President Barack Obama and French President François Hollande for considering to strike Syria.
- 7 September
- USA: Protests were seen in New York, Los Angeles, and Washington DC. A number of activists and Syrian expatriates gathered on Saturday in Times Square in New York City and outside the White House in Washington to voice their opposition to another war in the Middle East. The protesters carried signs reading, "No more wars for corporate profit," and "Cut the Pentagon, not food stamps." In front of the White House, some 150 demonstrators called on Congress to reject Obama’s plan for military strike on Syria. In Los Angeles, around 150 demonstrators marched on Wilshire Boulevard to protest proposed U.S. airstrikes in Syria.
- Lebanon: Around 300 protesters staged a demonstration outside the US Embassy in the Lebanese capital Beirut and in the southern city of Sidon against the US military strike plans.
- Pakistan: Protesters gathered to Karachi to show their opposition to military attack on Syria.
- Philippines: Protesters gathered to Manila to show their opposition to military attack on Syria.
- 11 October
- South Africa: Hundreds staged a sit-in outside the US embassy in Pretoria to protest against the US-led "imperialist aggression in Syria".
- Tunisia: In Tunis, protestors denounced the interference of Tunisian authorities in the internal affairs of Damascus, and called for the return of the Syrian ambassador. They also accused foreign powers of financing and arming the armed insurgents.
- Pro and Anti Syrian Government protests in Montreal, March 30, 2011.
- Friends of Syria.
- 300 protest Syrian regime in Canada, AFP, Jun 11, 2011.
- Syrians Protest Outside London Embassy, June 11, 2011.
- Syrian embassy accused of threatening protesters in UK, The Guardian, 22 June 2011.
- Syrian anti-Assad protests continue on Downing Street - London, 28th June 2011.
- Rally in support of Syrian uprising in Paris, www.citizenside.com, 03 September 2011.
- Protesters gather at Syrian embassy in London, The Guardian, Oct 4, 2011.
- Hundreds protest over Syrian deaths, Evening Standard, 29 Oct, 2011.
- Syrian protest in Paris supporting Bashar al-Assad regime, www.citizenside.com, 30 October 2011.
- Montreal demonstration supports anti-government protests in Syria, November 3, 2011.
- "Aussies protest foreign intervention in Syria". Press TV. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Free Syrians Protest at London Embassy, Dec 20, 2011.
- 12 arrests during protests at Syrian embassy in London, Daily Telegraph, 4 Feb, 2012.
- Arrests at Syrian embassy protest, BBC, 4 Feb 2012.
- Syrian embassy in Canberra trashed, SKY News, Feb 5, 2012.
- Syrian citizens protest against the Bashar al-Assad regime, 11 February 2012.
- About 150 rally on New Haven Green for end to bloodshed in Syria, Feb 18, 2012.
- Hizb-ut Tahrir organise march to support the uprising in Syria, Feb 18, 2012.
- Thousands of Iraqi Sunnis protest Assad rule, The Daily Star, " March, 2012.
- Tiranë, aktivitet-homazh për viktimat në Siri, ABC News, 2012-06-08 (in Albanian)
- Holt, Gerry (2013-08-28). "BBC News - Syria: Are UK anti-war protests gaining momentum?". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "PressTV - People in US and Australia protest against US strike on Syria". Presstv.ir. 2013-08-31. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Protests, rallies on U.S. military action in Syria
- "Protests held in US over Syria intervention - Middle East". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Rally in UK opposes possible Syria strikes - Europe". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "PressTV - Americans protest against Syria war in Washington, NYC". Presstv.ir. 2013-09-08. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Protesters rally against proposed US military strike in Syria". Daily Bruin. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "People around globe stage demos against war on Syria". Press TV. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "S Africa sit-in protests ‘aggression in Syria’". Press TV. 12 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Tunisians stage protest to support Syrian government". Press TV. 12 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.