||This article is outdated. (February 2011)
This is a list of New Zealand's international rankings on a range of social, economic and other criteria.
Political and economic rankings
World map of the Global Peace Index. Countries appearing more blue are ranked as more peaceful on the Index, countries appearing more red are ranked as less peaceful.
Map of countries by 2008 Economic Freedom of the World, published by the Fraser Institute
- Ease Of Doing Business Index, ranked 3rd overall in 2013 out of 185 countries, 1st in the sub-categories of Starting a Business and Protecting Investors.
- Political freedom ratings – Free; political rights and civil liberties both rated 1 (the highest score available)
- Press freedom – Ranked 8th for press freedom at 1.50.
- GDP per capita – 32nd highest, at I$27,217
- Human Development Index – 3rd highest, at 0.933
- Income Equality – 54th most equal, at 36.2 (Gini Index)
- Literacy Rate – 10th equal at 99.0%
- Unemployment rate – 48th lowest, at 4.0%.
- Global Peace Index – 2nd at 1.279
- Corruption – Least corrupt, at 9.4 on Corruption Perceptions Index
- Economic Freedom – 4th freest, at 82.1 on Index of Economic Freedom, and 3rd, at 8.28 on Economic Freedom of the World index
- Failed States Index, 172/177, being one of the few "sustainable" states in the world.
- Fertility rate- 155th most fertile, at 1.79 per woman
- Birth rate – 140th most births, at 13.90 per 1000 people
- Infant mortality – 169th most deaths, at 5.85 per 1000 live births
- Death rate – 123rd highest death rate, at 7.52 per 1000 people
- Life Expectancy – 13th highest, at 80.2 years
- Suicide Rate – 37th highest suicide rate, at 19.8 for males and 4.2 for females per 100,000 people
- HIV/AIDS rate – 133rd most cases, at 0.10%
In 2005 the International Agency for Research on Cancer found New Zealand men and women to have the third highest cancer rates in the world.
- CO2 emissions – 50th highest emissions, at 7.8 tonnes per capita
- Electricity Consumption – 48th highest consumption of electricity, at 37,030,000,000 kWh
- Broadband Internet access – 15th highest uptake in OECD, at 29.5%
- Beer consumption – 16th highest, at 77.0 litres per capita
- Environmental Performance Index – Comprising; Environmental health, air quality, water resources, biodiversity and habitat, productive natural resources, Sustainable energy – 7th out of 80 countries, at 88.9/100
- Global Prosperity Index – 5th country in overall
- Ease of paying tax – 9th easiest
- Imprisonment rate – 59th highest out of 217, at 197 prisoners per 100,000 people (2007)
- Victimisation rate – 3rd highest out of 30, with 21.5% of people aged 16 or more being victims
- Top Country Award – New Zealand has won the honor two years in a row (2007, 2008) by Wanderlust Magazine