International rankings of Singapore
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Singapore is a city-state.
- General rankings
- Singapore is ranked third among Asian countries in 2014 on Gallup's Potential Net Migration Index.
- FutureBrand: Country Brand Index 2012-13, ranked 14 out of 102 brands (ranked 4 in the Asia-Pacific region)
- Country Brand – Environmental friendliness, ranked 13 out of 102 brands
- Country Brand – Stable legal environment, ranked 13 out of 102 brands
- Country Brand – Education system, ranked 9 out of 102 brands
- Country Brand – Shopping, ranked 10 out of 102 brands
- Most expensive cities —
- Population of urban area: Ranked 63 (2011)
- Singapore ranked as Asia’s top City of Opportunity and third amongst 30 cities worldwide by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Main article: Media of Singapore
- Singapore ranked 20th in Internet connection speed in the State of the Internet report published by Akamai Technologies.
- Singapore has the 2nd highest internet penetration in Asia-Pacific.
Main article: Demographics of Singapore
- CIA World Factbook: Total fertility rate 2011 estimate, ranked 220 out of 222 countries (1.11)
- Population density ranked 2 out of 241 countries
- United Nations: Population ranked 114 out of 221 countries
- United Nations: World Population Policies 2005 number of immigrants, ranked 22 out of 192 countries
Main article: Economy of Singapore
- Singapore is ranked first worldwide for the ease of doing business by the World Bank for 2012, consecutively for 7 years.
- Singapore is ranked first in the Global Enabling Trade Report.
- Singapore is ranked the 5th the most competitive country in the world.
- Singapore is first in the world for having the best protection of intellectual property.
- Singapore is the 14th most expensive city in the world to spend a night in.
- The Economist: Where-to-be-born Index 2013, ranked 6 out of 111 countries
- External debt ranked 65 out of 202 countries
- Foreign exchange reserves ranked 8 out of 156 countries
- Nominal GDP —
- Nominal GDP growth rate 2007 estimate: ranked 37 out of 215 countries
- Nominal GDP per capita 2006 —
- Pacific Economic Cooperation Council: Index of Economic Integration 2009, ranked 1 out of 17 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) economies
- Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute: Linaburg–Maduell Transparency Index for third quarter of 2009, Temasek Holdings rated joint 1 with seven other sovereign wealth funds out of 45Singapore - Temasek Holdings score perfect 10, and Singapore - GIC score 6 out of 10.
- Unemployment rate ranked 6 with 1.6% unemployment
- United Nations: Human Development Index 2010, ranked 27 out of 172 countries
- The Wall Street Journal: Index of Economic Freedom 2008, ranked 2 out of 155 countries
- World Economic Forum: Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index 2009, ranked 10 out of 133 countries
- World Tourism Organization: World Tourism rankings, ranked 29 out of all countries
Main article: Education in Singapore
- Times Higher Education placed National University of Singapore (NUS) at number 26 among the top 100 universities in the world and 12th in the Engineering & Technology category.
- Financial Times ranked National University of Singapore's Executive MBA 11th Globally in 2009.
- In the QS World University Rankings 2013, National University of Singapore (NUS) is ranked 24th globally (7th in Engineering and Technology) while Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is ranked 41st position worldwide.
- CIA World Factbook: oil consumption 2009, ranked 21 out of 207 countries
- CIA World Factbook: oil imports 2007, ranked 8 out of 208 countries
See also: Water resources of Singapore
- CIA World Factbook: water resources (1975 figures), ranked 158 out of 174 countries
- New Economics Foundation: Happy Planet Index 2009, ranked 49 out of 143 countries
- US Department of Energy: CO2 emissions per capita 2004, ranked 23 out of 206 countries
Main article: Geography and climate of Singapore
- KOF (Konjunkturforschungsstelle), ETH Zurich: Index of Globalization 2010, ranked 17 out of 181 countries
- A.T. Kearney/Foreign Policy: Globalization Index 2006, ranked 1 out of 62 countries
- Singapore is ranked No. 2 in 2010 on World Health Organization’s World Health Statistic’s Infant Mortality Rate.
- Singapore is ranked 3 out of 55 on Health Infrastructure ranking in International Institute for Management Development’s (IMD) World Competitiveness Yearbook 2010.
- Singapore is ranked 7th in the world and 2nd in Asia for having the most motivated workforce.
- Singapore is among the top 5 in Asia for the best skilled labour.
- Singapore's labour regulations are the most business conducive in Asia.
- Singapore immigration laws for foreign talent highly regarded for being business-centric.
Main article: Ministry of Defence (Singapore)
Politics and law
Main article: Politics of Singapore
- In 2010, Singapore was ranked in the last position among high-income countries for "fundamental rights" and "open government", and in the first position for "access to civil justice" and "order and security" by the World Justice Project Rule of Law Index.
- Freedom in the World 2010: ranked Singapore 5 out of 7 for political freedom, and 4 out of 7 for civil liberties (where 1 is the most free), with an overall ranking of "partly free".
- The Economist: Democracy Index 2007, ranked 82 out of 167 countries
- Reporters Without Borders: Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009: ranked 133 out of 175 countries
- Transparency International: Corruption Perceptions Index 2010, ranked joint 1st with Denmark and New Zealand out of 178 countries
- Caux Round Table: Social Achievement Capital 2009, ranked 14 out of 199 countries (ranked 1 in Asia)
- World Health Organization: Suicide rate ranked 48 out of 100 countries
- World Giving Index: ranked 91 out of 153 countries
Main article: Transport in Singapore
- Singapore Airlines —
- Condé Nast Traveler: 2009 Readers' Choice Awards, top global airline
- Official Airline Guide: 2009 Best Airline based in Asia, Best Europe to Asia/Australasia and Best Transpacific Airline
- Travel + Leisure: World's Best Awards 2009, ranked World's Best International Airline
- The Wall Street Journal Asia: Asia 200 Survey 2009, most-admired Singapore company
- Gallup Potential Net Migration Index
- Economist Intelligence Unit Cost of Living Survey 2014: Singapore named the world's most expensive city., 1 April 2014.
- Worldwide Cost of Living survey 2014 – City ranking, Mercer, 1 April 2014, retrieved 1 April 2014; S'pore 5th most expensive city.
- Akamai Technologies
- Country comparison: Total fertility rate, The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency, 2009, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "Statistics Singapore -IMF SDDS - Economic and Financial"
- Based on USD/SGD rate of 1.221
- "Singapore expects less investment in 2013". Investvine.com. 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- The Global Enabling Trade Report 2010
- IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook 2013
- 2009-2010 Global Competitiveness Report
- Maierbrugger, Arno (14 June 2013). "Singapore priciest Asian city for visitors". Inside Investor. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- State of the Region 2009–2010 (PDF), Pacific Economic Cooperation Council, 2009, archived from the original on 12 November 2009, retrieved 12 November 2009; Esther Teo (12 November 2009), "S'pore the best integrated with the rest of Apec", The Straits Times: A9, "Singapore is the Apec economy that is best integrated with the rest in the 21-member grouping, according to an index released yesterday. This is the second year in a row that Singapore has taken the top spot ..."; Cheow Xin Yi (12 November 2009), "S'pore most integrated: Apec economies urged to focus on growth strategies", Today: B4, archived from the original on 12 November 2009.
- Linaburg–Maduell Transparency Index: 3rd Quarter 2009 LMTI ratings, Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute, 2009, archived from the original on 6 November 2009, retrieved 6 November 2009; Alvin Foo (6 November 2009), "Temasek scores perfect 10 on SWF transparency index", The Straits Times: C28.
- Summary: Human Development Report 2010: Overcoming Barriers: Human Mobility and Development (PDF), New York, N.Y.: United Nations Development Programme, 2009, p. 12, archived from the original on 26 October 2009; Human Development Report 2009: Overcoming Barriers: Human Mobility and Development (PDF), Basingstoke, Hampshire; New York, N.Y.: Palgrave Macmillan for the United Nations Development Programme, 2009, p. 143, ISBN 978-0-230-23904-3; "S'pore is 23rd most developed country", Today, 6 October 2009: 17, archived from the original on 6 November 2009; Neo Chai Chin (14 October 2009), Migration good, says Mahbubani: Govt policies can ensure best outcomes for migrants, citizens, archived from the original on 5 November 2009.
- Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2009, World Economic Forum, 4 March 2009, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- UNWTO World Tourism Barometer.
- QS World University Rankings 2013
- Country comparison: Oil – consumption, The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency, 2009, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Country comparison: Oil – imports, The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency, 2009, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Field listing: Total renewable water resources, The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency, 2009, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Saamah Abdallah [et al.] (2009), The (un)Happy Planet Index 2.0: Why Good Lives Don't Have to Cost the Earth (PDF), London: New Economics Foundation, p. 61, ISBN 978-1-904882-55-8, retrieved 6 July 2009; "Costa Ricans the 'happiest worldwide'", The Straits Times, 6 July 2009: A17.
- Millennium Development Goals Indicators: The Official United Nations Site for the MDG Indicators, United Nations, 2006, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Country comparison: Area, The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency, 2009, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- KOF Index of Globalization 2007 (PDF), KOF (Konjunkturforschungsstelle), ETH Zurich, 2007, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "The Global Top 20" (PDF), Foreign Policy, November–December 2006: 74–81, archived from the original on 6 March 2008.
- World Health Statistics 2010
- IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook (WCY)
- IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook 2010
- Anthony H. Cordesman; Martin Kleiber (26 June 2006), The Asian Conventional Military Balance in 2006: Overview of Major Asian Powers (PDF), Center for Strategic and International Studies, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit's Index of Democracy 2008 (PDF), 2008, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders, 2009, archived from the original on 6 November 2009, retrieved 6 November 2009; "Press freedom index: S'pore 133rd", Today, 21 October 2009: 6, archived from the original on 6 November 2009; "'Divorced from reality': Shanmugam on why Govt sometimes sues", Today, 27 October 2009, archived from the original on 6 November 2009.
- Corruption Perceptions Index 2010, Transparency International, 2010, retrieved 18 November 2010
- Stephen B. Young; Josiah Lindstrom (2009), Social Capital Achievement: 2009 Country Rankings (PDF), St. Paul, Minn.: Caux Round Table, archived from the original on 5 November 2009, retrieved 5 November 2009; Clarissa Oon (1 June 2009), "S'pore tops social capital", The Straits Times.
- Suicide prevention and special programmes: country reports and charts available, World Health Organization, retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Condé Nast Traveler: 2009 Readers' Choice Awards, Condé Nast Traveler, 2009, retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "SIA is top choice again in global poll", The Straits Times, 9 January 2010: B7.
- Top 10 international airlines, Travel + Leisure, 2009, retrieved 9 January 2010; Udaipur, India; Cape Town and Bangkok top list of world's best cities; New York City rated #1 in U.S. + Canada, Travel + Leisure, 10 July 2009, retrieved 9 January 2010.
- Cris Prystay (28 August 2009), "Singapore Airlines remains atop the list in a tough year: CEO offers insights on a 'severe test,' says company's commitment to customer service sets it apart in a competitive region", Wall Street Journal Asia.